First wedding blog...

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

Second ever wedding on my own, first time I've had chance to write a blog post and share a set of images online. Would love to know how everyone thinks I'm getting on. Already identified a few things to do differently / better in future, but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with how the set came out and pleased to have achieve my overall aim of documenting the day rather than overly relying on posed shots.

http://helloimkev.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/gareth-charlottes-vale-resort-wedding/

Kev

After the first couple of images, I found myself looking for your watermark. Like a simplified 'where's wally' puzzle.

Might just be me though? I couldn't tell you about the pictures, I think they were OK, but I mostly remember the watermark.

there's far too many pics to give detailed crit on all of them - overall they seem like a fairly comprehensive set, though #127 has too much burned out white to make the final cut imo

In terms of the blog , Its nicely written but you've made the cardinal error of putting a huge wall of text at the beginning - prospective clients (Who I assume this is aimed at) don't care about all that, they want to see pretty pictures straight away , before they get bored and wander off. therefore I'd suggest breaking up the text with some of the pictures.

Also its not a great idea to start a business blog by admitting you haven't done one for a year ( I assume you mean a blog - but an uninitiated viewer could think you mean you hadn't shot a wedding for a year , which is a bit of a turn off..)

Is the purpose of the blog post to showcase a sample of your wedding photography, or as a vehicle for the world to see all the pictures from that wedding?

I ask because the answer determines how I comment on it :)

After the first couple of images, I found myself looking for your watermark. Like a simplified 'where's wally' puzzle.

Might just be me though? I couldn't tell you about the pictures, I think they were OK, but I mostly remember the watermark.

The joys of watermarking!

there's far too many pics to give detailed crit on all of them - overall they seem like a fairly comprehensive set, though #127 has too much burned out white to make the final cut imo

In terms of the blog , Its nicely written but you've made the cardinal error of putting a huge wall of text at the beginning - prospective clients (Who I assume this is aimed at) don't care about all that, they want to see pretty pictures straight away , before they get bored and wander off. therefore I'd suggest breaking up the text with some of the pictures.

Also its not a great idea to start a business blog by admitting you haven't done one for a year ( I assume you mean a blog - but an uninitiated viewer could think you mean you hadn't shot a wedding for a year , which is a bit of a turn off..)

Yes agreed, wasn't looking for image by image more based on the feel of the set as a summary / storytelling piece of the day. #127 was aimed more at the reaction of the bridesmaids but I do see your point, thank you. The text bit is a good point as well, I'll have a play around with that, again thanks. Good point too RE: the first line, the blog is written mostly for casual purposes (and in a casual sense it would seem!), as I move on and do more work like this I think I'll likely separate out the marketing style posts into something separate from my usual ramblings.

Is the purpose of the blog post to showcase a sample of your wedding photography, or as a vehicle for the world to see all the pictures from that wedding?

I ask because the answer determines how I comment on it :)

I think I can sense what sort of comment either answer will attract. So, it's a bit of a mish mash of both if I'm being blunt - it's a showcase of my photography masquerading as a vehicle for the world to see the images. So pleased was I at the quality of the set as a whole compared to my very first wedding, I got a bit carried away with the execution and do have a few too many photos.

wasn't looking for image by image more based on the feel of the set as a summary / storytelling piece of the day

That's difficult to say because we weren't there. We don't know the personalities and we don't know what you missed. But as a general indication of how you would cover a similar wedding, it's not at all bad. I've seen a lot worse. :)

So pleased was I at the quality of the set as a whole compared to my very first wedding, I got a bit carried away ...

Understandable enough. Post the next one you do and invite critique of it. That will help you to improve.

If my second wedding (or third for that matter) was this standard i would be happy. Im new to this so there are far more qualified people to crit but all in all i think they are good.

Ultimately, are the B&G happy...

The joys of watermarking!.

But why the need to watermark? If people are viewing them on your blog/site, they know who has taken them. My thoughts with weddings is, I have already been paid for the images before the event. The bride and groom will be sharing them on social media or whatever unwatermarked. Only my opinion though and of course, you may not agree. :)

If you feel the need to watermark, I would make it consistent and small in the corner. I know Guy Collier puts a logo on all his blog images but it is identical in the same corner of every image so doesn't become a distraction. I agree with Phil that you end up trying to see where it is.

But why the need to watermark? If people are viewing them on your blog/site, they know who has taken them. My thoughts with weddings is, I have already been paid for the images before the event. The bride and groom will be sharing them on social media or whatever unwatermarked. Only my opinion though and of course, you may not agree. :)

If you feel the need to watermark, I would make it consistent and small in the corner. I know Guy Collier puts a logo on all his blog images but it is identical in the same corner of every image so doesn't become a distraction. I agree with Phil that you end up trying to see where it is.
This.
On the good side, I think your watermarking is smart and quirky. On the bad, It's very subtle, but because it moves about it becomes distracting. Even if it's massive, when it's static our brains can filter it out.

I do watermark individual images on my blog, but I'm moving towards the panels now as they're better for showing more images (tych panel)

This.
On the good side, I think your watermarking is smart and quirky. On the bad, It's very subtle, but because it moves about it becomes distracting. Even if it's massive, when it's static our brains can filter it out.

I do watermark individual images on my blog, but I'm moving towards the panels now as they're better for showing more images (tych panel)

Fair comment Phil, I was aiming at a minimalistic approach, avoiding the corners as I have been burnt like that before (granted not with wedding images)... I'll have a rethink in future.

Nice set of images, in fact excellent considering it's only your 2nd wedding! Agree with the watermark, kind of made me think of a speech bubble as if they were saying the words… very distracting.

Thanks Andy, appreciate it.

Back