First Wedding Photography Assignment - Poor mans lens hire

What do you mean red flashes? It sounds like it's just the AF indicators in the VF. I suppose if you are used to using MF lenses you might not have seen them before.

Like this?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...7&start=24&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:24,i:163

It's a shame you haven't had a bit more time to get familiarised with the new lens. I normally use Aperture Priority for weddings and just adjust the exposure compensation and ISO manually to make sure I get a decent exposure/shutter speed. I would suggest just going with whatever setting you are most used to using though.

Good luck!

what grum said - thats normal - That said the AF on a 7D isnt the easiest thing in the world to set up and a wedding isnt the place to learn , so you may be better off sticking with your MF focus nikkors

sounds like you have auto focus point selected and its jumping about the focus points, you are better setting your focus point to manual and selecting the one you want to use.

I have recently shot my first serious Wedding and would just say that if you are the only photographer you will find it really difficult to swap lenses really fast! so having a fairly good range such as 18-105mm or something similar will be very useful (especially as you may have nerves on board too!) I now have lots of respect to those who shoot only in prime..its tough!

Oh I see that you are shooting today! Well I really hope it went well, let us know how you got on

Last edited:
Oh no, I really hope not,., feel so gullible now for getting involved!

I hope andy's wrong as a lot of us have invested time in giving advice (which is what TP is supposed to be) but it does push the bounds of credibility that someone would agree to cover a wedding (even unpaid) without understanding the really basic features of their camera - like the focus confirmation lights.

I hope that the wedding goes well for you and will be interested to see some photo's from it, but in the best will in the world from what I've read in this thread I don't think that your ready to do a wedding on your own as you appear to know very little about your camera, that said personally I would stick the camera into Av and then manage your shutter speed by the ISO as Tv could have the camera going for a wide aperture and occasionally you may not want a shallow DoF but the camera would default to that in lower light

Also you've not mentioned where the wedding is and what you'll be covering, so will it be church, registry office or other, will you be doing everything e.g. bridal prep, cars, ceremony, formal, first dance, speeches, cake cutting etc...

Even though it's a friends wedding don't even consider alcohol until you've taken all your photo's and put the kit away

Matt
MWHCVT

I dont think anyone is so stupid to do a wedding without even understanding the very basics of there equipment. I mean come on are you crazy. For that reason i think this is a very good troll job. Well done for having so many people OP . I know we see a fair few of these type of threads but this one goes one step to far to possibly be true.

I dont think anyone is so stupid to do a wedding without even understanding the very basics of there equipment. I mean come on are you crazy. For that reason i think this is a very good troll job. Well done for having so many people OP . I know we see a fair few of these type of threads but this one goes one step to far to possibly be true.

That's not fair Andy we all know there are plenty of stupid people around (y) law of averages means some must considered doing wedding photo's and ruining the memories of a happy couple because they don't understand the basics of how their camera works and don't have a lens that fits and functions the camera they own :cautious:

Matt

personally I would stick the camera into Av and then manage your shutter speed by the ISO as Tv could have the camera going for a wide aperture and occasionally you may not want a shallow DoF but the camera would default to that in lower light

I think (though i may be wrong) that with nikkor lenses on an adaptor he'd have to have the camera in Manual as the adaptors dont (or at least the one ive got doesnt) retain TTL.

This is one of the many reasons (the other principal one being loss of AF) why I wouldnt plan on covering anything important or time pressured with adapted lenses

I think (though i may be wrong) that with nikkor lenses on an adaptor he'd have to have the camera in Manual as the adaptors dont (or at least the one ive got doesnt) retain TTL.

This is one of the many reasons (the other principal one being loss of AF) why I wouldnt plan on covering anything important or time pressured with adapted lenses

Indeed of course on his Nikon lenses Av would be useless but I was hoping that if this is a real situation the OP would stick with the hired lens :thinking: I do hope that it's not a smelly troll thread and for that reason I'll keep my advise genuine (y) because a) it would be sad that someone would come here to troll (though I know it does happen :shrug:) and b) lets just not let a trolls drag the forum as a whole down to there level (y)

Matt

Indeed of course on his Nikon lenses Av would be useless but I was hoping that if this is a real situation the OP would stick with the hired lens :thinking: I do hope that it's not a smelly troll thread and for that reason I'll keep my advise genuine (y) because a) it would be sad that someone would come here to troll (though I know it does happen :shrug:) and b) lets just not let a trolls drag the forum as a whole down to there level (y)

Matt

Sound plan - and on that basis I'm also somewhat concerned that he's only hired a 17-55 , he's going to struggle without something longer than that , unless all he's shooting is set group shots.

at the end of the day though the wedding is today so theres no point in giving him further advice - I guess we'll see what happens if/when he comes back with some pictures

Sound plan - and on that basis I'm also somewhat concerned that he's only hired a 17-55 , he's going to struggle without something longer than that , unless all he's shooting is set group shots.

at the end of the day though the wedding is today so theres no point in giving him further advice - I guess we'll see what happens if/when he comes back with some pictures

Hopefully we shall see some photos (y) (y)

kaffeetrinker_2.gif
i wait to see result

With a 17 - 55 alone the OP has no chance. And then the inability to use his equipment aswell this is really going to be interesting. I dont think we will ever see any results from this. My money is saying its fiction.

Some, not all of you have been a little cocky, arrogant and / or rude. I remind you once again that I come for help not for cockiness. Those of you that did help me I'm very grateful, I worried without reason too, The results were quite good given the circumstances. I had some backup and help and support and I enjoyed the atmosphere.

The images were pretty good and I'm sure my friends would be happy after I Photoshop them and get prints, I provide links to those that helped me to see the results after I have finished the editing.

I'm grateful for those of you that helped me and to start working on a wedding in a photographic manner.

Nightstar
You have to look at what happend you last posted on the thread 6 ays ago saying you were having problems with the focus points, for me and everyone else tha screams you don't know your camera very well, maybe becasue you are so used to manual focus from your video use you have never used them but it isnt a great way to leave a thread with us wondering if you worked out your problem before it was too late and you were standing in front of the bride and groom expected to take their photo and not having the ability to get them in focus.

Some of the guys above have earned their right to be cocky, arrogant and that may come accross as rude they do "wedding photography" and do it very well. I can work the AF system on my camera quite well but even then I still make mistakes and miss focus but I am not being relied upon to the same level as a wedding photographer is, the player will probably do the same thing again in the next 45 minutes, you only get one recesional at a wedding or that quick glance from the groom as his bride appears at the back etc you just need to be able to nail it each and every time. They were concered tat you were going in to this without the ability to do that based on the post above.

Some, not all of you have been a little cocky, arrogant and / or rude. I remind you once again that I come for help not for cockiness.

I've not seen any of that in this thread :shrug: what you've seen is a group of people with a genuine concern that someone that appears to have very little knowledge of the workings of there camera, attempted to do one of the highest pressure, quality critical photography jobs, you cannot recreate the magic of a wedding day if you mess up :shrug: I look forward to some photos being put up for critique and hoe that they look great for the B&G (y)

Matt

I'm grateful for the help but I stand by what I say, maybe I don't phrase things correctly and I think I mentioned there was a issue with the lens I hired, I had to do it all manual anyway, I'm not saying I'm the best or anything like that but I also feel in my field I have earned the right to ask for help without people saying it is going to be a massive mess etc.

At the end of the day as you say "Some have the right to be cocky etc" or even try to slate my work without seeing it, I say this:

If you are in a good position in life and cannot afford to look down at someone that needs help and remember where you came from, you do not deserve to be in that position.

I have some great photos at the end of it and I will show you after they are done.

I have to say, I tried to be helpful but I was pretty horrified at the questions about the 'funny red flashes in the viewfinder' or whatever it was the night before the wedding. I didn't say that because I thought at that point there was no point making you stress out about it.

I do think it's fairly irresponsible to be shooting a wedding, even for a friend, with such a lack of basic knowledge of your camera's operation. That's nothing to do with me being cocky.

Although maybe your manual focussing skills are amazing and your pictures will prove everyone wrong - I hope so.

I ve been following this thread and I m completely and utterly intrigued to see some of the photos from this wedding. Will you be putting them up soon fro us to have a look at?

Some of the guys above have earned their right to be cocky, arrogant and that may come accross as rude they do "wedding photography" and do it very well.

No one has the RIGHT to be rude, cocky or arrogant.

EVERYONE has the right to ask questions and help their friends. The OP took no payment for this and his friends were apparently well aware that he is not a pro photographer.

Its not as if he has stolen anyones opportunity as the bride/groom had no money to pay for a photographer. Had it been then the situation may be different.

It never ceases to amaze me just how unfriendly some of the 'professional' photographers are. This is not a 'professionals' forum, its a general user forum so how about we treat it as such?

The OP took no payment for this and his friends were apparently well aware that he is not a pro photographer.

Its not as if he has stolen anyones opportunity as the bride/groom had no money to pay for a photographer. Had it been then the situation may be different.

I'm not remotely bothered about him taking away anyone's opportunity.

I guess if he was completely upfront about his experience to the couple then that's ok. For me personally though, I would have done a lot more preparation/practice in order to feel comfortable covering someone's big day, even for free.

Like I said earlier though, hopefully the OP is amazing at manual focussing and has a good eye etc and the pictures will be great.

I ve been following this thread and I m completely and utterly intrigued to see some of the photos from this wedding. Will you be putting them up soon fro us to have a look at?

Me too !

Look forward to seeing some images. I really hope the event went well for the OP/Bride/Groom.

Gary

Back