First Wedding shoot

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
It wasn't really a wedding, it was a blessing as they'd already gotten married in the Dominican Republic. Still, it was good practice. The indoor shots were taken at ISO800 on my Canon 10D. For the outside shots I used my Sigma Super DG 500 flash. Some shots I should have used the flash but I simply forgot to. Like I said, good practice. There were another 2 photographers so it was tricky trying to get shots where they were looking at me. Definelty an intresting experience.

They might seem a bit soft to you, but that's because I wanted a romantic glow to them. Its a special day and I think having a romantic feeling is better than having super pin sharp shots.

CRW_9107.jpg

CRW_9215.jpg

CRW_9225.jpg

CRW_9241.jpg

CRW_9272.jpg

You have some good shots here but one thing that jumps out straight away is that on some of the pictures at least one of the subjects are not looking at you (into the camera). This is acceptable for pictures where you might have the bride and groom look at each other or the bridesmaids looking at their bouquets but not for “plain” subject photos. I know you where not the official photographer but its always something to aim for and having a little confidence and a loud voice will attract their attention.

I must add though that in general you have the exposures spot on and that the post processing really suits the subject.

Dare I say it “marries up” :whistling

Hehe thanks :) Getting shots where people were looking at me was tricky with another 2 photographers. It was definetly something I knew I wanted to get, but still tricky. With the other 2 photographers people are looking left, right, at me, 3 places at once :) I think the next wedding, my cousins in September, I'll try and do that. I was reminded of paparazzi's shouting "Over here" and everything. There was even one shot were I photoshopped my cousins eyes into place using eyes from another :D

Steve said:
Dare I say it “marries up” :whistling

Get your coat Steve, your barred

Nice shots Pete, i cant comment on how you should do it as ive no experience, but they look quiet good, though one thing, in picture 4 of the original set it looks a bit odd where the Bridegrooms dress is chopped off the side

EosD said:
Get your coat Steve, your barred

Nice shots Pete, i cant comment on how you should do it as ive no experience, but they look quiet good, though one thing, in picture 4 of the original set it looks a bit odd where the Bridegrooms dress is chopped off the side
Ah nuts, I never saw that. I was a bit nervous, as you can imagine, and annoyingly my instincts were saying "get the shot, and run for it!" :)

someone must have edited my post...

IanC_UK said:
Wasnt me, i dont have rights to edit anybody elses posts mate !

:screwy:

LOL will let you off, as you done such a good job with the forums ! ;)

just got steve to add a space between forums, looks much better now, looks all squashed up otherwise

EosD said:
just got steve to add a space between forums, looks much better now, looks all squashed up otherwise

yeah it does look much better !

By the way, i ought to comment on petes pics, instead of hijacking his thread !

Nice pics, the "romantic" feel, soft focus ones feel slightly over done to me, ie too bright for the soft focus (probably just me though).

All the others do the job very well, apart from the minor bits already mentioned, they are an excellent first attempt ! A lot better than i imagine i will do when i get a wedding to shoot !

i like them, shows definate potential, for a first time too

EosD said:
i like them, shows definate potential, for a first time too
Thanks :) I am tempted to move into wedding photography a bit more. You can capture some nice moments and make some really beautiful shots.

petemc said:
Thanks :) I am tempted to move into wedding photography a bit more. You can capture some nice moments and make some really beautiful shots.

Make sure if you intend to offer professional services that you have backup camera equipment and full insurance. Things can and do go wrong even after the best preparations and months of practice.

I think there's some very creative ideas there I especially like the last bride and groom shot, the b&w one, I could tell that you weren't the 'main' photographer though as many of the shots were just a bit off center and the subjects seemed preoccupied. Next time do a papazzi on them and shout things like "oi darlin give us a smile!" :)

The shots are not really to my liking but thats probably because they're wedding shots and I HATE doing weddings.

They are however just as good as much of the work I have seen from the (so called) wedding pros and I have seen an awful lot of that.

I'm sure CT will come along and give the benefit of his wealth of experience on the subject but I'll chip in few of my thoughts on setting up in this field.

Firstly, as has been said, have a backup for absolutey everything.

Another good idea (and the one and only bit I ever enjoyed) is to try and make sure that your photos are the only ones the family can use. One great way to do this is by shooting into the sun if poss for the group shots and having a monster of a flash to balance the light. A good old fashioned Metz is great for this as it's not only a portable lighthouse but really looks the dogs compared to anything other snappers might have on the day.

People who make wedding shoots work have my endless admiration, as it can be one of the most thankelss and stressfull areas of photography to do.

Not sure about the first pic but i'd be very happy with the rest especially considering the circumstances. I hate going to weddings and hate being asked to bring the camera even more.

Some nice shots Pete! The backlit shot of the bride is nice, but photographing the bride from a low viewpoint like that only serves to emphasis that slightly chubby chin. A higher viewpoint would have the opposite effect and is usually more flattering for the lady with the fuller figure. I sound like I should be working on the lingerie counter at M&S. :icon_eek: It would be dead easy to get rid of that saggy skin under the neck in PS, and the picture would be better for it. The bride will hate you for that shot if you don't do something with it. ;) Remember this is her big day and she wants to look her best.

Some really nice shots, but the pic of the couple dancing is typical of an indoor flash shot, with the harsh shadow in the background and red eye doesn't look too far away. On rainy days you'll be forced to take more shots indoors than you'd like, and flash as your main source becomes a necessary evil, so you need to invest in some sort of portable bounce flash set up - umbrellas etc.

Some good thoughtful and inventive ideas though Pete. Try to become very aware of background all the time, it can make a huge difference to a professional look to your shots. If you decide to become 'the' photographer reccy the church and the reception venues at least a few days beforehand and try to imagine how you'll use the surroundings to your advantage - it's much better than trying to fly by the seat of your pants on the day.

Back