Fish in the River Coln

Name
Eduard
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not entirely sure which type of fish this is - I would appreciate some hints :)

IMG_0122_Fish_reduced.jpg

Comments welcome ...

Rainbow Trout

I'm thinking brown as well.

yep! def brown trout! delicious!!

Brown trout - I'd put it back and grab haddock and chips from a chippie on the way home.

Its 100% a Broonie.

I figured it should be a trout. Thanks for the info!

dohhh...and i like smoked haddock

For all you smart @rses, Brown Trout don't have spots on their tails (look closely). I've caught enough Trout in my life to know the difference. So, all you "it's deffo a Brownie" "100% Brownie" "Nothing like a Rainbow" etc, etc make sure of yer facts before you mouth off about something you obviously don't know sod all about. End of.:muted::muted:

U8mufo. Thanks for bringing this to my attention(y)

Last edited:
Rainbow tail.

RainbowTail.jpg

I rest my case. Even bawbag agrees:D

Not getting into the argument, just posted the pic so that you ladies can carry on swinging handbags at each other.......................:)

Still think it's a brown trout as do most who have replied to this thread! The markings do not in my opinion resemble the markings of a rainbow.
It was spotted in a river re nound for it's wild brown and grayling. As rainbow are primarily bread for closed water fishing I think it unlikely that it is of this breed. (might be wrong as some do occasionally get into our water ways).But to me does not look like a brown trout.
Again look at the markings.........nothing like a rainbow...unless of course the fish i've been catching all of these years in stocked lakes are wild brown trout:LOL:
PS I'm not really a "smart arse" Brash, as are any of the other people who have bothered to reply to this thread. We gave our input right or wrong. Just our opinions:)

ZZZ...zzz Sleepydawg

Still think it's a brown trout as do most who have replied to this thread! The markings do not in my opinion resemble the markings of a rainbow.
It was spotted in a river re nound for it's wild brown and grayling. As rainbow are primarily bread for closed water fishing I think it unlikely that it is of this breed. (might be wrong as some do occasionally get into our water ways).But to me does not look like a brown trout.
Again look at the markings.........nothing like a rainbow...unless of course the fish i've been catching all of these years in stocked lakes are wild brown trout:LOL:
PS I'm not really a "smart arse" Brash, as are any of the other people who have bothered to reply to this thread. We gave our input right or wrong. Just our opinions:)

ZZZ...zzz Sleepydawg

Agreed its only opinions. I never returned to thread for a while as i was strongly outvoted but i still think im right if the fish has the spots on the tail which it looks like it does.(y)

As an experienced Flyfisherman i can tell you that it is indeed a Brown trout and sometimes the spots can and do migrate to parts of the tail fin. Topic closed!!!!
Sorry to be geekish but Flyfishing is my life!!!!

THANK You pragmatist:clap: Brash "I" rest "MY" case:D so I'm Not such a smart arse after all. Just somebody who knows what they are talking about.

Last edited:
As an experienced Flyfisherman i can tell you that it is indeed a Brown trout and sometimes the spots can and do migrate to parts of the tail fin. Topic closed!!!!

Not geekish at all pragatist.
I have just got back into fly fishing after a break of up to 15 yrs. I Luv it. Can't get enough of it at the mo. Unfortunately 1st year back and river fishing for brownies is over with only a few more weeks for Salmon & Sea Trout.:(

Ho Hum. Long time till next year but can't wait:)

I have just got back into fly fishing after a break of up to 15 yrs. I Luv it. Can't get enough of it at the mo. Unfortunately 1st year back and river fishing for brownies is over with only a few more weeks for Salmon & Sea Trout.:(

Mick there is always Grayling and now is a great time for them. Get those Klinkhammers out!! (y)

Mick there is always Grayling and now is a great time for them. Get those Klinkhammers out!! (y)

Yeh I have heard that they are great fighters when they raise their dorsal fin. Think I need to give this a try this year. I've never tried it before and don't think I can wait until March...........seems like a life time away! SOoooo Grayling watch :Dout

Yeh I have heard that they are great fighters when they raise their dorsal fin. Think I need to give this a try this year. I've never tried it before and don't think I can wait until March...........seems like a life time away! SOoooo Grayling watch :Dout

Try czech Nymphing or fishing a dry fly as an indicator with a goldhead on the dropper new zealand style. If unsure google New Zealand style rig for Grayling (y)

THANK You pragmatist:clap: Brash "I" rest "MY" case:D so I'm Not such a smart arse after all. Just somebody who knows what they are talking about.

No, drop the smart bit:shake:.

Rainbow all day long. Get a grip:p

Yeh, you get the occasional spot on a Brownies tail but not completely covered like that one, you can also see a hint of magenta on it's flank. I've been trout fishing since 1970, so I have seen a few in my time.

It's a Rainbow. It could be a Clown fish though, that's apposite:puke: Topic NOW closed.

Yeh, you get the occasional spot on a Brownies tail but not completely covered like that one, you can also see a hint of magenta on it's flank. I've been trout fishing since 1970, so I have seen a few in my time.

It's a Rainbow. It could be a Clown fish though, that's apposite:puke: Topic NOW closed.
:bang: :bang: :bang: I can go on forever, Iv'e had 4 shredded wheat!

Whoever thought that fishing could be a source of such drama 0:)

from what i can make out after going through google images its a RAINBOW and im not into fishing. all you gotta do is look, the facts are right in front of you. gotta laugh at the so called fishermen that say its a brown :)

to the op how about putting up a 100% crop of just the fish ;)

Last edited:
from what i can make out after going through google images its a RAINBOW and im not into fishing. all you gotta do is look, the facts are right in front of you. gotta laugh at the so called fishermen that say its a brown :)

to the op how about putting up a 100% crop of just the fish ;)

or eve better a 300% crop as the tail looks heavily spotted.

Rubbish rubbish rubbish.....Just been going through my numerous collection of flyfishing dvd's and there are numerous rainbows on it with hardly any spots on the tail (some with none) so explain that one to me oh great sages??????? BROWN TROUT!!

:thinking: does it really matter if it is rainbow or brown? :shrug:
or has this turned into a male ego argument that I do not understand?
Its a FISH!!!

Back