Fish in the River Coln

Yeh, you get the occasional spot on a Brownies tail but not completely covered like that one, you can also see a hint of magenta on it's flank. I've been trout fishing since 1970, so I have seen a few in my time.

It's a Rainbow. It could be a Clown fish though, that's apposite:puke: Topic NOW closed.

:thinking: does it really matter if it is rainbow or brown? :shrug:
or has this turned into a male ego argument that I do not understand?
Its a FISH!!!

Actually you are quite right, Good point! This is getting silly, I shall stand down but just one more word...I have been talking to a friend who is rather experienced and he seems to think it could be a Tiger trout as they also have spots on the tail but are immensely rare in the UK though they can be produced with combining brown trout eggs with brook trout milt so there is a possibility we are all wrong ;)

Last edited:
Rubbish rubbish rubbish.....Just been going through my numerous collection of flyfishing dvd's and there are numerous rainbows on it with hardly any spots on the tail (some with none) so explain that one to me oh great sages??????? BROWN TROUT!!

Pointless comment because this fish HAS spots on its tail. Post a picture of a Brownie with it's tail covered in spots if you can. Now I'm getting fed up conversing with people who think they know best, when clearly the don't and I do. Smell the effin coffee.

Looks like its getting a bit heated.I will state my argument in a rational way to get back on track again.The pic of the trout added above is a brown, indeed it does have a few spots at base of the tail .The original pic shows which i believe is a rainbow, the reason being that the FULL tail has spots from top to bottom and from base of tail to the tip.

Does anyone disagree that the original pic shows spots covering the FULL tail? Take pic, save as, open on your pc and magnify to around 300-400%.

Is this the river coln in gloucestershire, if so it is a well known river for brown trout and grayling. This river allso runs through bibury which has a big trout farm which breeds rainbow trout and there could be escapees when they clean the lakes into the river coln.
http://www.biburytroutfarm.co.uk/services.html

Quote, from the cotswold gateway

One of the best Cotswolds Rivers supplying the Thames is the Coln; rising near Sevenhampton it provides angling for Brown and Rainbow Trout as well as Grayling.

http://thecotswoldgateway.co.uk/angling.htm

Quote, from the complete fisher forum

One or two escapees undoubtedly do get into the Coln and I saw a four pound rainbow had taken up a very prominent position in the food chain of the river and was in a totally uncatchable position about five yards from this where I took this picture surrounded by the browns.

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121256

What do I think it is, I think it`s a rainbow, but that`s only my opinion, I could be wrong.

Perhaps it is a hybrid.......:thinking:

:exit:

Couldn't believe this thread was still going on, had to check back ... of course it's a brown trout!

One of my keeper mates has a huge res on his patch, it is stocked with wild brown, rainbow and blue trout. Would they interbreed?

Must add that any caught brown trout have to be returned.

I would still go for rainbow trout, reason it has pinkish fins underneath, brown trout olive greenish and is compleatly covered in spots from head to tail.

Come on chaps, t`is only the net, I`m sure we should....................hang on.........lets have a fishing,shooting ,eating and drinking meet..............:naughty:

QUOTE=pragmatist;3049452]Don't let them see this Matt but look at all those spots on this Brownies tail!!

5050996538_5dffc244c1_z.jpg

What some are failing to see is that all species can vary in colouring and patterns.
I agree though, Good banter indeed![/QUOTE]

Great shot of a Brown trout .........or is it a rainbow :D now I am getting confused!:thinking: it looks awfully like the picture that started this debate.

This is a great bit of debating(y):LOL:. Wonder if it will hit pages 4,5 or who know's.........come on everybody get your 2 pence worth in!

Come on Brash not heard from you for a while. Don't let the side down;)

I think that that's a Brownie, but I will be interested to find out the correct answer.

we had mackeral last night..no spots on them

:D...what a bunch of experts

Back