Flash for Canon AV-1

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently picked up a very nice Canon AV-1 in perfect working order and superb condition with original leather case.;)

I'd like to get hold of a flash unit for it.

I already have a Canon EOS 300 in my possession, I'm wondering if there is a flash unit that I could use on either camera?

I suspect some of you guys had these cameras years ago when they were new out so could possibly have knowledge to hand as it were.......In the meantime i'm on a google search ( drives me mad at times depending how many billion answers the search engine finds! :| )

The dedicated flash series for the AV-1 is the 133A/155A/177A/188A and 199A - of which the 199A is probably the best bet, being the only one that appears to be able to move the head to bounce flash.

The EOS-300 uses the Speedlight EX range - you may well be best served by getting hold of one of the "higher number" EX'es (430 or 550 iirc)- which will probably have manual settings that'll work well enough with the AV-1. They won't be "beer budget" though, sadly :(

From memory as I've stored mine....you can use any old flashgun as long as the trigger volts is not more than about 8v.

The dedicated flash series for the AV-1 is the 133A/155A/177A/188A and 199A - of which the 199A is probably the best bet, being the only one that appears to be able to move the head to bounce flash.

The EOS-300 uses the Speedlight EX range - you may well be best served by getting hold of one of the "higher number" EX'es (430 or 550 iirc)- which will probably have manual settings that'll work well enough with the AV-1. They won't be "beer budget" though, sadly :(

I've just been looking at the 199A as like you say has a moveable head

Not found info as to wether it is 100% compatible with the EOS though.....don't want to be frying anything!

I don't have big plans for either of these cameras when it comes to flash usage.....probably no more than portraits or snapshots at home so I don't want to spend a small fortune given that I only paid the equivalent of £40 for both the cameras!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across the AV-1 going for 20 euros ( equivalent of about £17) last month........ Deals like that happen in the UK not down here, only if the camera don't work!!! ............It was just too much for me to resist.:D

From memory as I've stored mine....you can use any old flashgun as long as the trigger volts is not more than about 8v.

There's 133A going for a fiver ( plus £3 p&p) on fleabay on a BIN ...runs out tonight!

No bounce flash with that I know but do I need bounce:thinking: there again do i hold back ang get something better and compatible with both cameras:thinking:.......oh god i hate having to make decisions...only cos i usually make the wrong one!! :D

Got sorted last night on fleabay with a 177A .... couple of quid including it's case!

Crackers when postage costs twice as much but got myself sorted out cheap!

thanks for your help guys!

Back