Beginner Flash system recommendations for digital/film cameras

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking into flashs / flash systems to use with my cameras. My experience to date is just the on-camera flash with X100F, but think it would be fun to try remote flashes and have them accessible from other cameras. Partcularly my film cameras.

Ideally I'd have one system that would work with everything, and I suspect modern digital cameras work well with everything but wasn't sure about the film cameras. Seen a lot of good reviews over Godox, espeically for the price.

I have X100F, and likely to pickup a fuji X-Tsomething, and film wise, Minolta X700 and Ricohflex Diacord L. The Ricohflex has M, F, X settings and the shoe has a contact but not managed to find much about it with modern flashes.

I know this is probably a very broad question, so pointers to things to read first are welcome as well.

It doesn't matter whether you use a film or a digital camera, the flash will work just the same and just as well. The only real difference is that you can set a different ISO sensitivity on a digital camera, the only way of changing the ISO on a film camera is to change the film, but the degree of change is limited and of course substantially affects image quality.

If you have a "simple" flash, with just a single pin contact, then the flash will work perfectly well regardless of camera brand. It's only when they there are more contact pins that the flash needs to be compatible with the make of camera.

Some of the older cameras did have a choice of sync modes. F was for special long-burning flashbulbs that allowed the shutter speed to be set higher than normal, M was for ordinary flashbulbs, X is for all electronic flash.

Thanks for the information Garry. sounds like it’s less complicated than I was expecting, which is good!
the Ricoh has the shoe in the side and looks backwards compared to normal so I might need to make sure the flash can rotate 180 degrees..

Thanks for the information Garry. sounds like it’s less complicated than I was expecting, which is good!
the Ricoh has the shoe in the side and looks backwards compared to normal so I might need to make sure the flash can rotate 180 degrees..
Then buy a flash trigger, fit it into the hotshot and mount the flashgun properly off-camera.

Most of my film cameras work with the ultra cheap radio triggers I have that also work with my X-T1 and X-T2. Even older cameras that sacrifice a hotshoe for a PC Sync(?) socket just needed a "PC Sync to 3.5mm male" cord, and the 3.5mm male bit goes in the trigger. It looks a bit daft, flapping around on my RB67, but works just fine. Same for my Rolleiflex Automat.

Had a quick Google on the Ricohflex and it's not clear whether it has cold shoe, hot shoe, PC socket, or nothing, so double check which version you have. Some of the crusties in the F&C section might help you if you're not sure. Minolta should be fine.

I bought into Yongnuo, which was the cheapest around - I bought a flash YN560iii and the radio trigger. Which allows me to control flash strength from the camera. In total around £70ish I think. Really good quality so that’s what I’d recommend. They’re not specific to any brand I don’t think. You can’t use TTL metering though. Most folks here recommend manual flash anyway

All you need for a multiple flash system is any flash that your camera will fire, and any other flashes you can optically slave. If slaving is not an inbuilt feature, inexpensive accessories can be bought that can be attached either on the shoe, or a pc socket that do the job. I hacked a hot shoe onto a box brownie and can now use it with any number of flashes!

Last edited:
I have the godox system for Sony and Fuji. The X1 trigger i for for my Sony has a PC conection so it Will conect to All my mechanical shutters and PC-synced RZ-67PROII etc. using a PC sync cord.
So with this i have full control with my modern gear and from camera triggering and manual control over units with every other cameras...........except pinholes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back