Beginner Flash thinking

Edit My Images
No
Hi after some reading and watching and a little practice I think I need a flash now have thought about the sb 600 but not cheap is it worth it .... Val

I had one and sold it after getting the SB900 Nikon flash instead as it was far brighter. Nothing actually wrong with the SB 600 , I did a side by side test between the two using the camera as the master control and the 2 flash guns as remotes then I could see the difference . The S B600 was about half as powerful. What I would say is before you dive in and buy the SB600 do have a look at the SB900 anyway. Just looked on fleabay and the price difference used is not far apart

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1e2jRea0U

Last edited:
It does help if the camera owned is mentioned as well, I suppose it all depends on how much one is willing to spend

Hi yes as 'minnnt' said its a d5200 and i think at this point of learning defo under 100

Although I have been reading that maybe a 2.8 lens a manual focus one may help a lot because I am photos indoors of the grand kids

Sorry only saying manual as they would be alot cheaper and hopefully still give sharp results

Ok cool. I wouldn't suggest a new lens just yet. A simple speedlight with TTL will see you right for now. Using the simple bounce flash technique will offer decent results.

Your kit lens is very capable of giving good results.

A few questions first, Val. What are you wanting to achieve with the flash? How do you think your photography will improve? Are you wanting to use the flash off camera?

Thanks.
Hi 'minnnt' so taking alot indoors of grand kids do you think an off camera flash would be better so it can be used for other purposes I'm not sure

Take a look at the Neewer 985n speedlight. Great VFM.
I've been looking for a 2nd flash to complement my SB700, does this Neewer work in exactly the same fashion as the Nikon speedlights, especially when using CLS?

Also if pushed i don't really want the hassle of having to put the flash on so , f2.8 comes to mind and then if i want to print is it worth getting a printer or sent off then should i then use my LR4 to pp them

Hi 'minnnt' so taking alot indoors of grand kids do you think an off camera flash would be better so it can be used for other purposes I'm not sure

Also if pushed i don't really want the hassle of having to put the flash on so , f2.8 comes to mind and then if i want to print is it worth getting a printer or sent off then should i then use my LR4 to pp them

Putting the flash on takes no time at all, about 1s. But if you don't want to do that then just put it on it's own little stand. You can bounce the light off the ceiling (or wall for side light) , or if using it off camera then you can have it coming in from the side, but I'd recommend a diffuser. Printing is a bit of a process if you want to make sure you have colour accuracy. Each printer and paper has it's own colour profile and will print differently. LR has the ability to create soft proofs so that you can match the colour profile to what you want the image to look like. That being said, it's not terribly accurate from my experience so I tend to run a few 6x4 test prints out and tweak if necessary, that way I'm not wasting a lot of ink. If you send it out some printers will be able to send you their colour profile, but I wouldn't expect it to be 100% what you see on screen. After all your comparing ink on paper to a back lit screen.

I didn't realise that you could put the flash on a stand and use remotely so which printer

I didn't realise that you could put the flash on a stand and use remotely so which printer
Depends on the flash, but Nikon ones come with a little stand. You can buy them cheap enough if they don't though. I use the Canon Pixma Pro 100s, excellent printer but it is a real faff soft proofing (not just for this printer). Depends how anal you are about colour matching I guess ;)

Wow your not messing about with that printer , i couldn't even find one second hand out of my price range new

I asked the same question a while back and, to be honest, you're better off getting them printed for you from a professional printers. :)
This^
I spend a couple of hours a year keeping my monitor colour correct, I haven't the time and patience to run a printer for photo's. DSCL are excellent and cheap, I'd be OK at best, and expensive too :D.

Back