flashmeter or not

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find on search. At the moment useing one speedlites i use my histogram for exposure, but if i decide to add more speedlites would i really need a flashmeter? or is it easy enough to see results on back of camera (am doubtfull but have'nt tried yet) Am thinking it would be easier to replicate lighting if i knew the ratios between speedlites, seeings as its all relatively new too me.

I can't imagine using flash without a flash meter. Using a single speedlight, using TTL is fine, but multiple flashes, whether little speedlights, or studio flash heads, I always use them manually and meter each individual flash. It's the best way to establish ratios between them all.

Im relatively new to this world as well but using a meter has meant i can apply a process to things based in general rules that are known to work. It's taken the trial and error out of things for me. I've done a lot if reading and know generally what ratios work in certain scenarios. What I think is important is that once I'm more experienced then I start to break these rules and see what happens as that leads to creativity but I think for starting out a meter makes a big difference. It's not the only way however. There are other methods but they are more open to interpretation.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your replies,i will get myself a meter and make life easier. Can anyone recomend a make or model thats easy to use?

Deffo makes a difference ,,, takes the guessing out of it,, more time shooting

Gossen Digipro F

or

Sekonic L-308S Flashmate Light Meter

deputy dawg said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find on search. At the moment useing one speedlites i use my histogram for exposure, but if i decide to add more speedlites would i really need a flashmeter? or is it easy enough to see results on back of camera (am doubtfull but have'nt tried yet) Am thinking it would be easier to replicate lighting if i knew the ratios between speedlites, seeings as its all relatively new too me.

I think youre making a lot of sense, as you become more experienced and familiar with your kit you may find you won't need the meter as much, but then again you might, when I'm using my speedlights I don't tend to use a light meter as I've used them for that long I just seem to know what to set them at for a good exposure, however when I'm using my Ranger Quadra, I've not had it all that long and I very much still need to use a meter for exposure :)

I think it will save a lot of faffing about for me, when i decide what model. thank you for the replies.

I bought a Sekonic L-308S and have found it to be very useful whenever I need to use my speedlights in manual mode or when using studio lights.

well i have my meter,and have to say i wish i bought one from the start of my flash journey, so much quicker and takes all the guess work out. thank you to all who replied.

Just got a Gossen Digi Pro F of ebay, new in box with everything £75 free post :D

Back