Flickr back up

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone who use Flickr use another image company as a back up and if so which one and how easy it to import from flickr?

Does anyone who use Flickr use another image company as a back up and if so which one and how easy it to import from flickr?

I don't have an especially useful answer here but curious to know why you would need a back up? Are you not storing image files locally?

I use(d) Flickr purely as a host when I posted photos elsewhere. All my shots are stored locally with off site backups where deemed necessary.

About as easy as it is to upload to.

Flickr and Google Photos etc are good for people who are not interested in photography. I usually find that if I'm helping friends and family I get blank looks if I suggest they backup their snaps. It's not because they don't value them because I've had to sort out panics when their photos seem to have gone missing. I think they see computers, phones etc as shoeboxes. So I usually just set their photos to automatically sync with Google or whatever as it better (much better actually) than nothing.

I don't use it as a back up per se but I often export from Flickr to my 500px account.
As others have said above I use Flickr for photo sharing with all files backed up locally.

I don't have an especially useful answer here but curious to know why you would need a back up? Are you not storing image files locally?
I do store images locally and I have them on an external hard drive a few miles from my homes as well, but I would like extra backup.

I do store images locally and I have them on an external hard drive a few miles from my homes as well, but I would like extra backup.

It sounds like you're pretty well covered but maybe a cloud back up service linked to your main storage would make more sense. I haven't looked at all the options and how they work (must do it myself sometime) but there seem to be a few relatively affordable, straight forward options.

Generally advise you need to be on a fibre connection, but Crashplan/Backblaze and more do online incremental backups, Crashplan is $60 a year, renewal come up yesterday and it was a no hesitations renewal for me. Can then keep the hard drives locally then so you've always got instant access to your local backup, and your online Crashplan (or other) is then your total loss fire/theft/flood protection.

Crashplan has also saved me enough times where their backup is actually more current than my local backup.

Generally advise you need to be on a fibre connection, but Crashplan/Backblaze and more do online incremental backups, Crashplan is $60 a year, renewal come up yesterday and it was a no hesitations renewal for me. Can then keep the hard drives locally then so you've always got instant access to your local backup, and your online Crashplan (or other) is then your total loss fire/theft/flood protection.

Crashplan has also saved me enough times where their backup is actually more current than my local backup.

Seconded.

I use Crashplan at home also for about 50 Macs that I administer at work.

Flickr isn't backup.

Crashplan does seem like reasonable value at £3.85/month ($60 per year based on current exchange rate).

Though I am on ADSL (under 1mb upload speed :( ) I am thinking as an extra layer of backup security I should be adding CrashPlan to my structure??? Yes, it will take a long while to backup everything I will need to but you have start somewhere if adding cloud storage ;)

Crashplan does seem like reasonable value at £3.85/month ($60 per year based on current exchange rate).

Though I am on ADSL (under 1mb upload speed :( ) I am thinking as an extra layer of backup security I should be adding CrashPlan to my structure??? Yes, it will take a long while to backup everything I will need to but you have start somewhere if adding cloud storage ;)

Mine took about a month to shift original 1TB on 8-10mb upload fibre, but it was rarely maxing it out. Once its done though its just all the little changes, so only the big shoots take a day or so to upload.

Other good alternate is rotating off site hard drives, friends, family, shed at bottom of garden. Just somewhere you're unlikely to lose both on the same day to the same disaster (fire/theft/flood). Don't use the car, not unknown for people to break in, pick up your computer & TV, load them into the car & take that too...

Having recommended Crashplan, I got an email yesterday informing they are bailing from the consumer market and closing CrashPlan for Home (that's the $6 per month deal) :confused:

They are recommending moving to Carbonite or 'upgrading' to their small business service ($10 per month) with discounted subscriptions for the first year on both if you are an existing Crashplan customer.

https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/

Last edited:
Having recommended Crashplan, I got an email yesterday informing they are bailing from the consumer market and closing CrashPlan for Home (that's the $6 per month deal) :confused:

They are recommending moving to Carbonite or 'upgrading' to their small business service ($10 per month) with discounted subscriptions for the first year on both if you are an existing Crashplan customer.

https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/

Bad move from Crashplan I think, we recommend to customers what we can use both home & at work, they were already losing some recommendations through lack of Synology support, now we'll just recommend Backblaze etc to both business & personal customers.

Also always wary of further recommendations of companies that pull plugs on a major line, because what goes next in next years business strategy...

I'm doubly annoyed as I only paid up 10 days ago for another year, so I know the next years backup is all going into a dead end.

Back