Flickr - "Can we use your image for ..."

Name
Guy Boden
Edit My Images
Yes
I keep getting requests by all sorts of people on Flickr to use my images, for all sorts of reasons. Educational software, coffee table books, album covers, etc etc. Obviously all for free.

Now I'm not particularly prescious about my photography and I'm under no illusions that I can command huge sums of money for use of my images but I do know that somewhere, someone is making money (or at least trying to) out of the end product that they require me to "dontate" towards. I wouldn't mind so much if I knew them! I also know that finding the exact image you require for your publication can costs you lots of money but on the other hand finding something "close-ish" will cost you next to nothing.

I guess I should ignore them all, actually I do, but there's always part of me that things I could be missing out on an oppotunity.

Anyone had any positive experiences from giving their pictures away?

Mohain

can we see the pics, do you have a link to your flickr?

I gave away some photos to a local magazine which Bench saw and used in an ad campaign all over Europe. Quite nice license fee too. Now days though I don't give away my work unless its for something interesting that I feel I will benefit from. Simple fact is that I have bills to pay and I pay them by selling photos.

can we see the pics, do you have a link to your flickr?

I deliberately didn't include my Flickr link as I thought my post could be misconstrued as a thin veil to pimp my photo stream ;) It's not any particular photo I'm talking about it seems that every couple of months or so i get a different request from someone wanting something for free.

I gave away some photos to a local magazine which Bench saw and used in an ad campaign all over Europe. Quite nice license fee too. Now days though I don't give away my work unless its for something interesting that I feel I will benefit from. Simple fact is that I have bills to pay and I pay them by selling photos.

Interesting. I remember the campaign. Didn't realise that's how they came about you though.

I always allow link to schmap etc, but have only been contacted about one photo for other uses and they seem willing to pay at the moment, shame it was taken at a ****ing train station so can't just go "have it, gimme moneys" :(

i got a schmap link to for a picture I took of windsor castle...I was proud as it's my first picture that's been requested by someone other than friends/family...

You could always reply with 'Yes, but for a small fee'

They can only say no and you may make some cash.

Also, if you have no intention of letting them use them I'd take them down PDQ unless they're tiny or heavily watermarked. The snipping tool in Vista is far toooooooo handy for my liking!

I accept that low reses could be used without my permission but I never post anything over 800px and they're not optimised for print so I'm not too bothered. Plus there's now a trail if they're used after I say no ;)

I've replied to the last couple of requests with asking for more info, see what happens.

Thanks for the input folks.

Unless it's for a non-profit making organisation, they really should pay for it.

If you give them that image for free, it's not just yourself that could be losing out on a few notes, you're putting photographers out of work. Bit of a case of crapping on someone elses lawn. But then if you don't do it, someone else most likely will. It's a tricky one.

Best to reply with 'Look, you cheeky ******, what are you going to pay me?'

It's not right to take someone's work for free and then go profit from it.

I get this quite a lot. I've made a few sales this way.

Its bloody cheeky though - you can bet the person sending the "Please can we use your image (but we can't pay you)" mails isn't working for nowt...

Had loads of these requests usually with the word "donate" in the subject, as soon as any form of fee is mentioned you never hear from them again.

As most of my shots are wildlife and the cause is usually conservation i am happy to let some of them go for free on the condition that i am credited for the picture, and i am sent a copy of the finished product.

If you give them that image for free, it's not just yourself that could be losing out on a few notes, you're putting photographers out of work.

I hear what you are saying but times are a-changing! Not so long ago anyone wanting to use an image from a photo library would expect to pay £300-£500 for a Royaly Free licence, more if they wanted a Rights Managed licence or a shot commissioned. These day you can usually find a 'that will do' image for you need for almost nothing from the likes of iStock, Shutter Stock or even for free from Flickr, Stock Exchange, etc...

if they are commercial business then I would charge. simple as that.
It's cost you a fair amount of money to invest in the kit and time to learn how to use it.
Therefore, if their product will be making them money then your work is of financial value to both parties.

I hear what you are saying but times are a-changing! Not so long ago anyone wanting to use an image from a photo library would expect to pay £300-£500 for a Royaly Free licence, more if they wanted a Rights Managed licence or a shot commissioned. These day you can usually find a 'that will do' image for you need for almost nothing from the likes of iStock, Shutter Stock or even for free from Flickr, Stock Exchange, etc...

Which is partly my point. I'm not sure that in the current climate there is anything you can do about it, the whole world is shifting around the internet, it's a one way ticket and wheels are already in motion.

And I probably sound a little defensive about it but I've never sold an image in my life. It has no effect on me whatsoever. I do however know quite a few artists who make money from their work, putting a lot of effort into it, and they get shafted all the time, because there's always people willing to give their work away just to get it out there and no one takes the industry seriously. It's a shambles and photography's going the same way. I don't have any solutions but it does no harm to tell people once in a while that they're taking the p*** by asking for free product to which they'll profit from.

Back