flickr clamping down

Alas red robin your to new to the game to remember it in its heyday ,before that silly girl Marissa Meyer tried to turn it into a site for I.phone and I.pad users and literally pooped on the photographers who had built it up ,when the changes came a lot of solid supporters migrated to a French site ,that might still be running but not sure ,but the usage is definitely not what it was .

....That sounds a bit like the lament of an old timer singing Things-Ain't-What-They-Used-To-Be but although I am a similar age to you, I adapt to changing times.

What Flickr used to be is purely academic as far as I am concerned - I don't care about Flickr's past or who built it up and I am only concerned with how I can use things now < today and tomorrow and not yesterday.

Besides, it's Instagram rather than Flickr which is more primarily geared to iPhone and iPad users (of which I am one too). However, Instagram is now gradually evolving to open up more to OS rather than only iOS systems - Your image posted on Instagram no longer needs to have been exclusively snapped on a mobile device. Neither is it restricted to square format only. Personally I happen to prefer the square format for Instagram as the viewer doesn't have to spend extra time opening up the image further.

Last edited:
I think Flickr will die soon, maybe like a lot of photo sharing apps and sites.

fotopic.net

open and thriving one day... shut the next.... millions of lost pictures by people who didn't have a backup and mega tons of lost information from descriptions etc..

fotopic.net

open and thriving one day... shut the next.... millions of lost pictures by people who didn't have a backup and mega tons of lost information from descriptions etc..
Fotopic was arguably better than Flickr ever has been.
They keep saying that registered users can download their pics but they've never reached far enough down the alphabet for me. Now they seem to have stopped that offer.
Good job I had a back up.

Flickr is fine for me, additional photo storage, ability to link to forums etc ... all for free.
Twitter for targeted interest/information, to see what's going on and add to the interest/information myself ... no interest in Facebook or Instagram.

fotopic.net

....What you have written doesn't appear to be entirely true and is somewhat misleading IF it is true that registered fotopic members can log in and download their images :

http://www.fotopic.net

But wouldn't any sensible photographer backup all their images anyway rather than rely on a thirdparty online?

Last edited:
....What you have written doesn't appear to be entirely true and is somewhat misleading if it is true that registered fotopic members can log in and download their images :

http://www.fotopic.net

But wouldn't any sensible photographer backup all their images anyway rather than rely on a thirdparty online?

what i ahve written is entirely true thank you very much .. did you read the reply between mine and yours?

i think the biggest losers where train and bus spotters who had hundreds of thosuands of pics and detailed informatyion stored

i of course had backups.. i find it hard to understand how others didnt as they had to be on your system to upload... But even so I havent fully recovered from it and how many yrs ago :(

whats it been... 6-7 yrs since fotopic closed.. they still didnt get around to opening the servers to everyone.. your either still waiting in hope OR THEY ARE LOST ..

There are photos on there of just about anything you can imagine - kids and animals excepted. How do I know? Some stranger added me as a contact, so I looked at his profile. Big mistake. I looked at his favourites. Wow! Just mind blowing some of the things on there. Presumably all legal, consenting adults and all that. Trouble is I've forgotten who it was so can't find it again(n)

Not my thing, I'm not a prude and I consider myself open minded and all that and if it floats a boat for somebody, then carry on. I was shocked at some of the things I saw on there though, like full blown, nasty stuff. How easy is it though for a teenager or minor to put in any date of birth at registration and get access to that stuff?

Sorry for going off topic a bit.

what i ahve written is entirely true thank you very much .. did you read the reply between mine and yours?

....Yes, I read the reply you refer to but only after I had posted my reply to you. I then decided to delete my post but was unable to do so. Are you now satisfied?

....Yes, I read the reply you refer to but only after I had posted my reply to you. I then decided to delete my post but was unable to do so. Are you now satisfied?

satisfied? with what ?

No, I agree with you. There is some real hardcore stuff on there.

....Strange because I have never come across such stuff on Flickr. But I'm not suggesting it's not there, only that it's never presented itself as a problem.

However, some folks acting like schoolboys and writing sexually suggestive tags can't help matters.

However, some folks acting like schoolboys and writing sexually suggestive tags can't help matters.
And if people didn't use such search criteria it wouldn't matter what the tags said (y)

I'm sorry RedRobin but I don' get this. You've posted elsewhere that you are selling your gear because you don't have time for photography but you seem willing to spend a lot of time on here arguing with anyone and everyone.
I must be missing something.

I'm sorry RedRobin but I don' get this. You've posted elsewhere that you are selling your gear because you don't have time for photography but you seem willing to spend a lot of time on here arguing with anyone and everyone.

Link please LOL

What specifically makes some of you think that Flickr "will die soon"?

- Flickr is unique among online sites for displaying photographs and is more a place for photographers than any other. It presents photostreamed portfolios and group photostreams very well indeed and also has an album structure. These are valuable and excellent features.

I always feel that flickr whilst having it's fair share of good photography also has more than it's fair share of cat pics etc. I generally find 500px to have a greater proportion of "serious" photography compared to flickr

Yep you can find plenty of pussy shots If you look for them :exit::exit::exit:

To be replaced with what?
We don't all have personal websites.
Will we all be expected to sign up to Twitbook?

Although I do agree that the powers that be behind Flickr seem less than enthusiastic these days.

Not at all. Even thou I use both Twitter and Facebook I don't rate them much as a tool for sharing or promoting my work due to their own issues.

It is 60 for pro users and 30 for non paying users apparanetly it used to be 30 previously

I'm not a pro user and I can add photos to way more than 30 groups.

Not sure if I've ever tried to exceed 60 though.

Yep I never saw the point of it either I am on 0 groups.
I use it to post images here and other media.

I've had a few fav's over time, when I look at their photostream, the majority are just full of favourites, I never understood that either.

Its more fun to miss tag images, for instance, my armadillo tagged as an armoured dildo, get hundreds of hits a day.
But that begs the question, wtf were they looking for in the first place? :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBDCq6Q8k2E

That's because you are not playing the Flickr stats game. You look at my photos and I'll look at yours. You fave my photos and I'll fave yours. That way we both get our stats up. Join enough groups with everybody playing that game and your stats go through the roof.

There are even tutorials on there telling you how to set up auto faves of your contact's photos.

All pointless of course but vanity knows no bounds.
Surely auto fave is meaning less?

There are photos on there of just about anything you can imagine - kids and animals excepted. How do I know? Some stranger added me as a contact, so I looked at his profile. Big mistake. I looked at his favourites. Wow! Just mind blowing some of the things on there. Presumably all legal, consenting adults and all that. Trouble is I've forgotten who it was so can't find it again(n)

i had a very similar experience on flickr, at first i thought ok this is just someone who is interested in photographing bondage type stuff but then when i looked through their photostream either they were a REALLY poor photographer or were just into the kinky stuff and taking photos of it on their phone to show on the internet as there was about as much artistic merit as a wet fart ;)

as a aside I just posted a dunnock shot on there the autocorrect tries to change it to Cumnock which sounds rather like cumsock to me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

as a aside I just posted a dunnock shot on there the autocorrect tries to change it to Cumnock which sounds rather like cumsock to me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol, I live about 15 miles from Cumnock, never thought of it that way. Not forgetting New Cumnock next door. It'll never be the same again. :LOL:

Surely auto fave is meaning less?

It is. But I had one guy who faved everything I posted. Then he asked why I never faved his in return. He sent me a link to a flickr group of his with techniques for upping stats. I didn't reply and he toddled off elsewhere. A German guy - if that's significant.

It is. But I had one guy who faved everything I posted. Then he asked why I never faved his in return. He sent me a link to a flickr group of his with techniques for upping stats. I didn't reply and he toddled off elsewhere. A German guy - if that's significant.
Interesting, what I quite like about people faving my photos is that it shows what I think is great is not so great and often the reverse.

Since posting on this thread I have had a few new "followers".

It's interesting to see that (as an example) this picture has so many favourites and views. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough shot of a church but nearly 15 thousand views and 1300 favourites in less than 3 weeks good? .... I don't think so.

while typing this I am also aware that by putting the link I am giving Piers even more of what he craves :rolleyes:

Damn. They must have changed this recently - I can only add to 30 groups now (non paid).

It's interesting to see that (as an example) this picture has so many favourites and views. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough shot of a church but nearly 15 thousand views and 1300 favourites in less than 3 weeks good? .... I don't think so.

while typing this I am also aware that by putting the link I am giving Piers even more of what he craves :rolleyes:
Surely that many views and faves must have hit Flickr explore?

It is quite a good photo of a church, although not a genre I am very expert on.

Flickr is unique among online sites for displaying photographs and is more a place for photographers than any other. It presents photostreamed portfolios and group photostreams very well indeed and also has an album structure. These are valuable and excellent features.

I prefer Flickr to Instagram for those features, but Flickr is dying on it's arse.

There's a lot more photographers posting to Instagram than Flickr. In my area there was a handful posting to Flickr, there's hundreds posting to Instagram.
Interacting with photographers on Instagram has certainly changed my photo taking habits too - I realised I was taking the same shots that hundreds of others were taking.
Walks/meet ups for local photographers arranged by Flickr get a handful and have now I think stopped. Instagram arranged ones get 50+ and close to a hundred at times.

....You most certainly are missing something.

Nowhere have I ever said that I am selling my gear and nowhere have I said I don't have time for photography. In fact it is quite the opposite! This year I have additionally bought a Canon 500mm and two other L lenses and a Canon full-frame body and also an EOS M5 body. Plus a Gitzo travel tripod and two different Really Right Stuff heads. Need I go on?

Furthermore, in what way do you consider I am arguing? I am merely expressing my opinions and if such opinions are either different or opposite to others, then that's not something which should matter a lot to any of us.

Is there another 'RedRobin' on TP? Or am I missing something? Perhaps you made a typo error.

Last edited:
I prefer Flickr to Instagram for those features, but Flickr is dying on it's arse.

There's a lot more photographers posting to Instagram than Flickr. In my area there was a handful posting to Flickr, there's hundreds posting to Instagram.
Interacting with photographers on Instagram has certainly changed my photo taking habits too - I realised I was taking the same shots that hundreds of others were taking.
Walks/meet ups for local photographers arranged by Flickr get a handful and have now I think stopped. Instagram arranged ones get 50+ and close to a hundred at times.
That is a shame, you cannot have collections on Instagram - how can people cope without them - makes organizing photos so much easier.

Back