flickr clamping down

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
anyone else noticed flickr seems to be clamping down ,if you post to to many groups its asking you to upgrade .in other words pay for what has been a free service for the last few years .
suppose it had to happen :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

No such thing as a free lunch as people ( inc me) with Photo bucket discovered earlier this year.

I pay for Flickr ( have done for years) and the renewal price this year is
$24.95 USD (£19.36 GBP)

How many is too many?

I pay as a pro user and I recently noted the 60 limit. I never saw any request to upgrade further.

Why do people add photos to dozens of groups anyway - often inappropriately.
The other day I challenged a photo for a tea plantation added to North York Moors group.

Ah okay I'm well inside that limit. :)
You can go over that but only if invited to add to a group.
I haven't been able to find the appropriate bit but several pro users have been moaning about a max group restriction too.

In that case If it’s affecting “pro” users to then I shall stay as a free user. ,I stopped my pro subscription several years ago and tbh have never noticed any difference till now ,apart from not seein* my stats

Does the 60-groups limit apply as a limit to the total number of groups you have joined? Or to the number of groups you can add one image to?

I'm not a 'PRO' user and have currently joined 77 Groups so far without any requests/invitations to become a 'PRO'.

The number of groups you can add a image to robin

I got this May this year, no doubt this is the culprit ;)

If you haven’t heard, Yahoo plans to sell its operating business, including Flickr, to Verizon Communications Inc. We anticipate the completion of the transaction to occur in June 2017. Upon the completion of this proposed transaction, Yahoo products and services, including Flickr, will be provided by a new Verizon-owned company called Yahoo Holdings, Inc.

In connection with this proposed transaction, Yahoo is updating its Terms of Service. You can review the changes by visiting our Terms of Service

These updated terms will automatically be effective on June 8, 2017, unless you cancel your Yahoo account before then.

That’s it! We look forward to continuing to deliver your favorite products and services.

The number of groups you can add a image to robin

....Thanks Jeff.

I have occasionally seen someone's image added to about 50 groups and thought that doing so many would be tediously time consuming. I rarely add to more than about 15 of my 77 groups. But I only (95%) shoot wildlife subjects and so don't need to add to so many groups.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of using Flickr. I use it as a portfolio of what I think are my best shots and to host an image posted here in TP occasionally. I find it interesting to see what camera gear and settings were used on my fave images shot by other photographers (and a bit disappointing when they hide the EXIF).

It is 60 for pro users and 30 for non paying users apparanetly it used to be 30 previously
No it isn't at the moment Alf. I have a free account and it stops at 60. This could change tho as is is a group admin decision to opt out.

Last edited:
....Thanks Jeff.

I have occasionally seen someone's image added to about 50 groups and thought that doing so many would be tediously time consuming.

Isn't there a screen where you can add to your groups by ticking a box for each group rather than manually adding? To be honest I've never seen the point of adding to some many groups, don't they just quickly disappearing from the top because others do the same?

No such thing as a free lunch as people ( inc me) with Photo bucket discovered earlier this year.

I pay for Flickr ( have done for years) and the renewal price this year is
$24.95 USD (£19.36 GBP)
Me too and thinks it’s great value for money to store my images as a back up as I always upload full size but limit any viewing to 1024

No it isn't at the moment Alf. I have a free account and it stops at 60. This could change tho as is is a group admin decision to opt out.

It is till being debated as far as I can see and some backtracking has started.

We'll be enabling a new group setting in a few days, which will allow group admins to opt their group out of the photo posting limits (60 groups per photo for pro, 30 groups per photo for free accounts).

Above from this thread

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157687569376472/page7/#reply72157667004819229

Isn't there a screen where you can add to your groups by ticking a box for each group rather than manually adding? To be honest I've never seen the point of adding to some many groups, don't they just quickly disappearing from the top because others do the same?

If you are a member of the group you can do it during uploading a shot just like adding to albums

If you are a member of the group you can do it during uploading a shot just like adding to albums

....And you can also add your image to any of the groups you have already joined any time after your image appears on your photostream.

Last edited:
I've never seen the point of adding to some many groups
That's because you are not playing the Flickr stats game. You look at my photos and I'll look at yours. You fave my photos and I'll fave yours. That way we both get our stats up. Join enough groups with everybody playing that game and your stats go through the roof.

There are even tutorials on there telling you how to set up auto faves of your contact's photos.

All pointless of course but vanity knows no bounds.

Last edited:
In that case If it’s affecting “pro” users to then I shall stay as a free user. ,I stopped my pro subscription several years ago and tbh have never noticed any difference till now ,apart from not seein* my stats
Same here.

That's because you are not playing the Flickr stats game. You look at my photos and I'll look at yours. You fave my photos and I'll fave yours. That way we both get our stats up. Join enough groups with everybody playing that game and your stats go through the roof.

There are even tutorials on there telling you how to set up auto faves of your contact's photos.

....Aah, I wondered why many of my photos don't receive many faves (unless Explore choose to add my image to their photostream).

I don't care how many times someone faves my images, I won't fave any of theirs unless I really like an individual image. Same applies to people following me.

I see the number of faves as being encouragement rather than stroking my vanity. But we all want to be loved of course.

....Aah, I wondered why many of my photos don't receive many faves (unless Explore choose to add my image to their photostream).

I don't care how many times someone faves my images, I won't fave any of theirs unless I really like an individual image. Same applies to people following me.

I see the number of faves as being encouragement rather than stroking my vanity. But we all want to be loved of course.
There is some strange algorithm that selects images for Explore. I believe that the more groups you put it in the less chance it has of getting selected. Of course Flickr won't give details out, but "Look at me, I'm on Explore" must be the ultimate expression of willy waving.

There is some strange algorithm that selects images for Explore. I believe that the more groups you put it in the less chance it has of getting selected. Of course Flickr won't give details out, but "Look at me, I'm on Explore" must be the ultimate expression of willy waving.

....I rarely add an image to more than about 12 groups.

As Explore have chosen some of my best shots and I have created an album of them on Flickr, I must be totally guilty of willy waving! :LOL:

Hey look!! I'm waving my willy at you! Now! : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157686132840835

All pointless of course
Yep I never saw the point of it either I am on 0 groups.
I use it to post images here and other media.

You fave my photos and I'll fave yours.
I've had a few fav's over time, when I look at their photostream, the majority are just full of favourites, I never understood that either.

Its more fun to miss tag images, for instance, my armadillo tagged as an armoured dildo, get hundreds of hits a day.
But that begs the question, wtf were they looking for in the first place? :D

Its more fun to miss tag images, for instance, my armadillo tagged as an armoured dildo, get hundreds of hits a day.
I never tag anything. I just let the auto tags run.
My most viewed photo is from years ago. I called it "Trump that if you can". It was a picture of playing cards. Didnt get many views. Now that Donald is in charge of the world the views have gone sky high.

Well, just as it is with Facebook, Instagram, and Twatter, it is what you want it to be. It's entirely up to you how you decide to use or not to use online media.

Exactly the same applies to the TP forums here.

I'm only a member of a handful of groups and I rarely post any one image to more than one group unless I really like it the it might get add to 2

This.

I am a pro user and have been for years but I rarely post pictures to other groups or bother tagging. Every so often I will get a little flurry of favourites from someone I have never seen before but they soon give up when I pop onto their page to find they have thousands of likes for a picture of a horse in a field or a cat eating it's dinner and so don't bother responding.

I think Flickr will die soon, maybe like a lot of photo sharing apps and sites.
To be replaced with what?
We don't all have personal websites.
Will we all be expected to sign up to Twitbook?

Although I do agree that the powers that be behind Flickr seem less than enthusiastic these days.

To be replaced with what?
We don't all have personal websites.
Will we all be expected to sign up to Twitbook?

Although I do agree that the powers that be behind Flickr seem less than enthusiastic these days.
If been toying with the idea tbh, and Flickr disappearing may push me towards it rather than paying them for their services.

"Que sera, sera". Facebook will never be a viable option though!

What specifically makes some of you think that Flickr "will die soon"?

- Flickr is unique among online sites for displaying photographs and is more a place for photographers than any other. It presents photostreamed portfolios and group photostreams very well indeed and also has an album structure. These are valuable and excellent features.

- Photobucket is just an image hosting site with an inclination to sell you sort-of related stuff (stuff I personally don't want).

- Facebook is primarily a social media but it also offers you your own pages to promote or, in my case just display, your own work and interact with others. Facebook is what you want it to be - You don't need to be Fb-phobic! (as far too many of you here seem to be).

- Instagram (owned by Facebook), if you pick whose work you follow, can be very inspirational and is also good for promoting business (my daughter does very well financially from using it every day).

- Twitter (I call it Twatter and really don't enjoy it) is a shallow sixty seconds experience which only deals with what is thought to be the latest crap news.

I use all of the above but to differing degrees to suit my own needs and preferences.

An alternative is your own web site < Good luck in your efforts to promote it because you need some of the above media to help you.

All that Flickr is doing under its new management is trying to exploit its commercial potential but like many other online media it will most likely maintain its free membership option because doing so is well proven to draw some folks into later 'upgrading' to paid subscriptions.

Btw, if adverts on your free subscriptions bother you just use an AdBlocker.

Last edited:
That happened to me once when I searched for 40D :jawdrop: :wideyed::eek:

:exit::LOL:

There are photos on there of just about anything you can imagine - kids and animals excepted. How do I know? Some stranger added me as a contact, so I looked at his profile. Big mistake. I looked at his favourites. Wow! Just mind blowing some of the things on there. Presumably all legal, consenting adults and all that. Trouble is I've forgotten who it was so can't find it again(n)

Alas red robin your to new to the game to remember it in its heyday ,before that silly girl Marissa Meyer tried to turn it into a site for I.phone and I.pad users and literally pooped on the photographers who had built it up ,when the changes came a lot of solid supporters migrated to a French site ,that might still be running but not sure ,but the usage is definitely not what it was .

Back