Flickr Top 25 Photos of 2019

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
They are all very good, perhaps no better or worse than many others. Just sometimes have to make a choice!

A few are heavily ‘fairy taled up’ more photographing a scene you have created rather than finding a pre existing one. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Kinda agree with Chris.

Best analogy I can come up with is that I don't take sugar in my tea, and all these images have 4 heaped spoonfulls. Apart from the lone black & white image which has one-and-a-half.
[/cynicism]

I'm sure lots of people got this email but what do we think?

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2019/12/...lickr&utm_medium=email&utm_content=yir-launch

I fully accept that my tastes are a long way from average but I was fairly underwhelmed by the top 25. Some of the bird shots are, to my inexpert eye, good but the rest seem fairly conventional and nothing that special.
I think there's some stunning images in there tbh, I'd be over the moon to be able to produce images like these, although I'm not too keen on the shot with the the photoshopped hot air balloons. Also someone clearly (imo) has been inspired by Lisa Holloway ;)

Possibly as a reflection of what's on Flickr, they seem mostly landscapes or nature photos (of a type to appeal to Mrs G in the 'TH Calendar' thread).

8 of 25 were of birds.
5 of 25 included people.
8 of 25 were landscapes

It's interesting that at first sight I thought they were quite strong, but the more I go back, the more many of them look a little (or a lot) over-cooked. I tend to only glance at those kinds of pictures, seldom really looking or analysing them, but that's a mistake - it's always good to learn.

Last edited:
Given that flickr is a global website I can't help but think it must have better photos than these, not that some of then aren't very good and I follow one of the people in the list, I was just a bit underwhelmed. I guess they went for popular rather than cutting-edge.

Given that flickr is a global website I can't help but think it must have better photos than these, not that some of then aren't very good and I follow one of the people in the list, I was just a bit underwhelmed. I guess they went for popular rather than cutting-edge.

To me, the most striking thing is the lack of variety. Just one mono image, no architecture or minimalism, no urbex, a single composite, nothing really high or low key, nothing mechanical or sporting. I do like some of the images, but it's like going out to dinner and being offered just baked potatos, green beans and a 10p size piece of chicken breast.

Last edited:
I guess they went for popular rather than cutting-edge.

That is the implication in the introduction of how they were chosen "...like how many times the photo was viewed, faved, or commented."

Back