Flickr weirdness...

Name
Jez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Some time ago (2006) I took a highly average photo of a cygnet at a local pond. Stuck it on Flickr to not much rapturous applause.

Time passes. (Still no applause).

Today I notice that it's my #1 viewed image. Interesting, thinks I - I wonder what people are searching for to get my humdrum image? Which is where it gets weird.

The image is imaginatively entitled "Signet" (sic), and is tagged with "signet" (sic, again), "bird", "wild", "young", "juvenile" and "swan".

This is the list of today's searches that Flickr is reporting as resulting in a hit on my photo:

1 Searched for: signet [ok - I can understand this one...]
2 Searched for: fixed deposit
3 Searched for: suns orbit
4 Searched for: "hunting deer"
5 Searched for: "airplane wheel"
6 Searched for: hunting
7 Searched for: "hunting birds"
8 Searched for: lions prey
9 Searched for: bank deposit
10 Searched for: "ship wheel"
11 Searched for: magnifying glass
12 Searched for: "straight hair"
13 Searched for: ring
14 Searched for: "hunting trip"
15 Searched for: denmark map
16 Searched for: danish pastry
17 Searched for: deposit money
18 Searched for: magnifying glass prints
19 Searched for: danish
20 Searched for: "bird shooting"
21 Searched for: deposit bank
22 Searched for: hunters
23 Searched for: wolfs prey
24 Searched for: smoke ring
25 Searched for: tool socket
26 Searched for: envious people
27 Searched for: google maps
28 Searched for: car navigation system
29 Searched for: denmark
30 Searched for: eye socket
31 Searched for: groundnut
32 Searched for: envious
33 Searched for: stapled sheets
34 Searched for: danish people
35 Searched for: socket wrench
36 Searched for: work strain
37 Searched for: navigating compass
38 Searched for: "shooting birds"
39 Searched for: "ship navigation"
40 Searched for: staple pins
41 Searched for: steer
42 Searched for: steer directions
43 Searched for: lose a game
44 Searched for: prey
45 Searched for: navigating ship

Eh? "Socket wrench"? "Danish pastry"? How the hell are these resulting in my picture of a cygnet? And why the slight obsession with Denmark...?

None of my other hits today are the result of such randomness, and I've never noticed this sort of thing before...

Anybody got any idea what's going on?

Cheers,

Jez. (Confused of Hampshire)

P.S. Should anyone wish to see the fairly dull image of a cygnet in question, here it is. Alternatively you could search on Flickr for almost anything. Apparently...

13225719184_8873985165_b.jpg

Last edited:
There is something weird now about Flickr searches. Sometimes searches of my own photos turn up something irrelevant where the search keyword never appears. And some of my photos have become unfindable, such as the one titled and tagged "preening heron".

It's also possible that your image, along with a click through link, has featured on someone's rather basdfly structured blog.

There is something weird now about Flickr searches. Sometimes searches of my own photos turn up something irrelevant where the search keyword never appears. And some of my photos have become unfindable, such as the one titled and tagged "preening heron".

It's also possible that your image, along with a click through link, has featured on someone's rather basdfly structured blog.

Cheers Chris. Linking through is possible, but that usually comes up as the URL of the linking page rather than a search term doesn't it?

I've had this a few times over the years and it's to do with bot run blogs/picture dumps. Had one collecting pictures to do with female writers and another was a Russian one that seemed to be pulling pictures at random.

Had this last night.

Someone/thing with a foreign sounding name faved an image of Trinity, Cambridge. When I clicked through the link I landed on hundreds of images of the college and also anything else with Trinity in the description/title. My image was about 30 down the page (3 pages)

Had this last night.

Someone/thing with a foreign sounding name faved an image of Trinity, Cambridge. When I clicked through the link I landed on hundreds of images of the college and also anything else with Trinity in the description/title. My image was about 30 down the page (3 pages)

This isn't the same case is it? If I understand correctly, your image was tagged / titled with the same word as linked all the other images. But in my case the image is tagged with virtually *none* of the words searched for... My cygnet image has no connector whatsoever with eg "envious people"!!

Oh dear..

Oh dear?

One of your images is a dear? Lol

This isn't the same case is it? If I understand correctly, your image was tagged / titled with the same word as linked all the other images. But in my case the image is tagged with virtually *none* of the words searched for... My cygnet image has no connector whatsoever with eg "envious people"!!

Oh dear?

What I do is not tag anything. Then you don't get any of that nonsense.

:sneaky:

But since almost none of the searched for words are in the list of tags I'm not sure it would make a difference in this case!

One of your images is a dear? Lol

Erm, I must be missing something here 'cause I haven't a clue what you're talking about... :thinking::)

Back