Flikr: file upload dimensions?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone suggest the best file upload sizes for Flikr. Lots of conflicting advice out there. From always upload full size files and allow Flikr to compress them, to 1024 (for landscape) or 1600 (for landscape).

For most, but not all, of my photographs (which are meant to be viewed as small prints) I don't really want them available as high quality images filling a 27" monitor screen. But equally, I would like them to look as good as they can look, at 5" to 7" square on a screen.

Is there any obvious "best practice" for this, I know I can just try things out, but I am limited to the range of screen resolutions/sizes I have available. I also would like to keep my upload file sizes as small as possible.

Thanks

I used to resize to 1600 pixels on the long edge, that seems a bit small now so I use 2400 on the long edge.

Setting aside the "how to avoid mis use if I upload to large a file size......"

There are stats available to show screen resolutions in use.
http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resolution-stats/desktop/worldwide

https://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Should that be a guide as to max size to upload for others to view???

Thanks and Interesting to know, but not sure how my question has anything to do with "how to avoid mis use if I upload to large a file size......" and to be honest not sure how it entirely helps with me trying replicate the "small" print viewing experience on screen.

But as I said, still very interesting reading.

You can upload at whatever size you wish BUT you can also change your settings to not allow anyone to view them or download them beyond your chosen size.

You can upload at whatever size you wish BUT you can also change your settings to not allow anyone to view them or download them beyond your chosen size.

Thanks, I have been looking at the settings (not actually found this one yet, but did come across it when googling before posting), but I had assumed that just for the sake of uploading time, most people would upload at the size they wanted people to view the photographs at. Unless there is a quality benefit letting Flikr do the resizing

Thanks, I have been looking at the settings (not actually found this one yet, but did come across it when googling before posting), but I had assumed that just for the sake of uploading time, most people would upload at the size they wanted people to view the photographs at. Unless there is a quality benefit letting Flikr do the resizing

One advantage in uploading at full size is that you can also download it at full size in the future ... a useful option if the image was otherwise 'lost'.

One advantage in uploading at full size is that you can also download it at full size in the future ... a useful option if the image was otherwise 'lost'.
True, I hadn't really thought of Flikr in terms of backup. However, hopefully, given my backup procedure this would never be needed, but never any harm in having a bit more backup.

Don't think 'not allowing downloads' does much, I could download any image which is online in a couple of clicks.

Don't think 'not allowing downloads' does much, I could download any image which is online in a couple of clicks.
But not at full res :)

On flickr if a larger size is uploaded it can easily be downloaded from the source code.
Interesting ... I've just tried it and for a 4000px width image the maximum the source code links to is 640px width.

You just have to use the right software.
TBH if someone is so desperate to get one of my hobby photos that they will go all the way through the Source Code and use special software, all the best to them ... for the average Farcebook grabber I doubt I have much to worry about. :)

TBH if someone is so desperate to get one of my hobby photos that they will go all the way through the Source Code and use special software, all the best to them ... for the average Farcebook grabber I doubt I have much to worry about. :)
I don't think I'm that desperate!
I'm just saying that if an image is uploaded, and protected, it is easy to download the biggest file that is uploaded.
The only way to protect an image is to not upload it.
Remember that watermarks can be removed too...

I used to upload at a max of 1024 on the longest edge , but with the advent of higher and higher mp files this was no longer realistic I now usually go to 1636 , I was advised by a mate who’s very tech minded not to upload with a double zero ending as it does something to the files ,might be b******t but it seems to work . .. the real danger of uploading large files is that they really have to be of decent quality any errors in noise levels/sharpening etc show up a lot more in larger sizes

I used to upload at a max of 1024 on the longest edge , but with the advent of higher and higher mp files this was no longer realistic I now usually go to 1636 ,
Thanks, it is looking iike, just as with my google search, everyone has a different idea, but at least all these posts are up to date :)

I didn't realise that you could control the display size from Flikr, until mentioned earlier in this thread, so I think I might upload at a reasonably large size and then try out different display sizes from inside Flikr.

Back