Floodlit Football Training

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I am not exactly new as I have been a reader of the forum on and off for a few years. I have never really got to grips (read easily give up) with anything much beyond automatic mode, or sports/portrait/landscape etc mode. But I have vowed this is my year to challenge myself to produce some photography of my own making. So, I am often found at the football pitch and training on astro taking shots. Tonight I am going to a session that will be floodlit. Any tips you guys could give me as to settings to try out?

Thank you

Hard to say as don't know your setup, but you will be using high ISO that's for sure... Go manual and try get a shutter speed fast enough to stop the movement, as it's training and not a match you might get away with something around 1/1000 and unless the lights are real good don't expect great images. My local club as floodlights ok for football, terrible for photography..

Thanks sportpicguy, training was cancelled due to the weather, so didnt manage to get any. It is a good facility with very good lighting so am reasonably hopeful of getting some, albeit it will be evident its dark. Never mind, match day on Sunday so fingers crossed for a clear blue sky frosty day :)

Whats your set up currently ?? Your ISO and aperture will determine what shutter speed you hope to achieve. So even in good lighting (you might think) the chances are you will be at 1600 ISO+ and thats only half way there, you will probably need f2.8 to achieve the other half.

As Steelydan says without knowing what kit your using it is very difficult to offer advice.

On evening football matches under floodlighting I'm running at 16000 ISO on a 2.8 lens at speeds of 1/640 on my 7d mkii.

Images aren't really suitable for printing but fine for viewing on tablets and phones.

it's so dark and miserable here yesterday I was shooting ISO 3200 at 2.8 and only getting 1/1600 at 2pm in the afternoon

it's so dark and miserable here yesterday I was shooting ISO 3200 at 2.8 and only getting 1/1600 at 2pm in the afternoon

What are you shooting with? On a typical winter day I never get faster than 1/1000th, f/2.8 and iso higher than that, but matches start at 3pm! Post a pic, let's see the result. Lower non-league grounds are not renowned for their floodlights,

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. That session was cancelled and this week again due to the snow. I did take some at the match last weekend with mixed results. I have a rather old Canon 400D and was using 70-300mm lens, the field had a rather dense fog so I am not sure how much of the results were from that or me. I have been trying to improve composition, I quite often end up with a shot with no ball in, lots the kids backs (junior football) and kept the camera on "sport mode" I have improved on that. So this year I want to move away from auto to see if I can get to grips with the differences of altering settings makes. I find it hard to tell from the digital display just what the photo is going to look like between different settings. So very much a beginner at this. I love the chase of a good photo and the camera has produced quite a lot over the last few years, now "I" want to be able to know what I am doing to manipulate the results, so have started with TV mode and letting the camera do the aperture.

The only other lens I have is 50mm portrait.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back