Flower Power Thread

Hi Bryn, thanks. :) Once again, just getting happy snappy whilst I should have been working... :whistle: all with the XF1 again.

The first one you posted is incredibly detailed. I agree that the shape is fascinating.

Oh, it's Clover btw. :)

Almost all of our orange poppies are done for and the white ones aren't going to last much longer :(.

White Poppy by Stuart Delaney, on Flickr

Two wonderful shots there stuart... (y)

Excellent work here @susiejb especially that on black rose and @minnnt your first geranium is great 2nd one shame the petals are bent back maybe end of its life but your backlit sunrise ones are superb.

Bit of a beginner here and would like to ask a beginners question :) How do you guys put in a black background? Something you edit after?

Something id like to try myself ;-)

Bit of a beginner here and would like to ask a beginners question :) How do you guys put in a black background? Something you edit after?

Sean
I tend to use a 300mm lens for flowers, (I fact I tend to use a 300mm prime for everything these days!!!), … you can get more compression with it
You need to play around with the exposure setting - I always use Manual - generally use spot focussing and spot exposure, a high shutter speed and most of the time a wide f value ……. plus the flower is set against a dark background with the sun being mostly on the flower.
The Iris very little PP apart from + vibrance
The rose I slid the black back to the very limit and played around with the reds

Last edited:
Cheers Bill,

I will have to give it a try :) no 300mm prime here though! :-(

Currently using a 105mm os macro at the minute ill try to do what you say with that, or would that not do?

Spent far too much money this year on equipment, spending anymore would require a back hand from the misses!

Cheers Bill,

I will have to give it a try :) no 300mm prime here though! :-(

Currently using a 105mm os macro at the minute ill try to do what you say with that, or would that not do?

Spent far too much money this year on equipment, spending anymore would require a back hand from the misses!

Hi Sean - I am sure the Sigma is very good and if you look through the thread you will see some very sharp images taken with macro lens - it is an "art" in itself.
I don't have a macro AF lens and my eyes aren't what they used to be with my MF's lens…….. my images are more "close up" than "macro"

I think that is it very interesting to try to explore the many ways that you can use digital to present flower images in different styles

There are a number of ways... search plamp on the forum and you'll find some home made clamps for holding black card behind the flowers. Very cheap option.

http://robinhoskyns.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/diy-plamp-for-under-5/

The other way is to restrict light into your lens and use flash as the main source of light, eg f16 1/200s and flash gun ideally off camera.... basically make your shot without flash completely black then add in flash to show the flower. However doesn't work so well if using just the sun as light source but can be done.

All can be done with your 105mm lens.

Yea thanks guys!

Ill check it out when i get home, little limited on the mobile. I sortof did think of the card thing but i thought you wouldnt have pure black but a slight brightness from the sun/flash?

Back