Flowers - an open thread.

Buddleia doing what they do best.

011.jpg

A single Sweat pea, not really doing a great deal, just brightening up my back fence

035b.jpg

The life and death of a dahlia
012.jpg

I bought a couple of passion flowers at around 2 feet tall, a couple of months ago,
hoping they would be well established come the colder months.
This one obviously thinks its spring.

P2.jpg

I bought a couple of passion flowers at around 2 feet tall, a couple of months ago,
hoping they would be well established come the colder months.
This one obviously thinks its spring.

View attachment 330725

Ours is a climber on a south facing wall - we cut it back to the ground every year and then it climbs to must be 12 or 18 feet

Ours is a climber on a south facing wall - we cut it back to the ground every year and then it climbs to must be 12 or 18 feet
That's pretty impressive the one this replaced grew strongly and regularly bore fruit, but I kept it to around 6 feet ( the height of the fence) and encouraged the spread.
But it died last winter :(

That's pretty impressive the one this replaced grew strongly and regularly bore fruit, but I kept it to around 6 feet ( the height of the fence) and encouraged the spread.
But it died last winter :(

just taken a quick image

here it is mixed with an iceberg rose - it grows well above the bedroom window, (if we let it) - there are about half a dozen flowers on it that you cannot really see in the image

it's roots are in gravel and compacted stone chipping - back garden "patio" area

TP_iceberg.jpg

Last edited:
it's roots are in gravel and compacted stone chipping
Its amazing what plants will grow in.
I have a couple ornamental grasses.
The ones in the ground grow around a foot, tall an wide,
and they are starting to shut down for the winter now.
I chucked a couple in the vegi-filter of my pond,
in the same season ( this year) they grew and are still growing, no sign of shutting down, 3 feet plus tall and wide.
It seems they are very hungry great for removing Nitrates

Checking the date it arrived, I was quite surprised, it arrived 7th August this year at less than 3 feet tall.
I bought it hoping it would establish before the cold weather set in.
I never expected it to flower this year, but here it is.

PF.jpg

Caerulaea (? sp! ?)?

I grew one from seed about 25-30 years ago and it keeps trying to block the front door! Fruits freely but the fruits aren't tasty enough to bother with (AFAIK, all Passion fruits are edible [as in non toxic] but only a few are worth eating).

been laid low for the past few days, stinking sinus infection resulting in a serious headache and cough, - had the Covid test and was negative plus the annual flu jab for the "over 70's" - so not taken much

Here's a Rose from the back garden, image taken last week

TP_flowers_Pink_Rose.jpg

Caerulaea (? sp! ?)?

I grew one from seed about 25-30 years ago and it keeps trying to block the front door! Fruits freely but the fruits aren't tasty enough to bother with (AFAIK, all Passion fruits are edible [as in non toxic] but only a few are worth eating).
Constance Elliot Passiflora.

My basic one that died last winter used to fruit very freely. Passiflora Caerulea
TBH it was like eating snot :(

Last edited:
Still blooming

Passion flower

PFA.jpg

A tad closer

PFB.jpg

Sweet peas

Sweet-pea1.jpg

@justpix
This is the nearest I can get; does the name ring a bell ?
Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Grand Bleu'
01plant by Cordyii, on Flickr
-----------------------------------------------------------

or is it Ageratum ?
001ageratum by Cordyii, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just about hanging on in there.

Pf.jpg

007.jpg

Back