Flu jab 2020

After being told by the surgery and pharmacy that I was ineligble for a priority flu jab (despite getting one in previous years), I received a letter from the surgery telling me that I am in an at risk group and I am booked in for a jab ion 7th November.

I was very lucky - I've been checking the local Pharmacies to see if they had any vaccine since my GP Practice isn't doing them - the Health Board is organising it and so far I've heard not a cheep from them.

My nearest Pharmacy phoned me at 1 pm - they had vaccine so I popped round at 3 , waited for 5 mins and was home by 3.30

Job done

Just booked my flu jab for later this month. I'd rather a couple of days mild discomfort (if I get it) than the 2 weeks that a dose of real flu tends to knock me out for.

Had the jab this morning. Queueing (outside) took longer than the actual process (mainly due to the elderly woman who had to explain [in detail...] how her cat puking had made her late for hers). No pain (yet!)

Parked on the end of a row so only had one side vulnerable to the "interesting" driving styles of the other recipients. The car I was parked beside was still there when I left (probably the old biddy telling everyone she met that her cat had puked.)

Went to the surgery this morning at 8:45 for my 9 to 11 slot. Couldn't park anywhere and there was a queue of people, lots not wearing masks, so went home. Went again at 10:00, just got home. Queued for 45 minutes, they then informed us that they were closing the surgery because they had run out of vaccine.
I asked them why they didn't count the vaccine and then invite a corresponding number of people.
They replied that would have been discriminatory :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Start at the "A" and work through to "Z" as the "per head" vaccine becomes available...
Better that than have people standing around for whatever time, just to be turned away..
Not hard is it?
:(

I have to say my local Dr's surgery were very well organised indeed. I pre-booked a vaccination appointment for myself and my elderly mother and we turned up a little early like they requested. After the usual hand sanitisation we were ushered straight through to a large room and given the injection immediately. They were using a fire exit for people to leave by, which led straight outdoors (and yes it was the ground floor!) to avoid having to walk back through the building again. They'd got a couple of people outside to direct people back to the footpath again. It was much better than I was expecting! From parking the car we were back to it around 10 mins!

Last edited:
I had my jab last Sunday, it was a lot easier than I expected [really detest needles!] - the lightest 'jab' I've ever experienced, and I've had many bloods done over the years and injections for pain releif. I always look away as they are administering the jab, this time I had barely turned when the girl stuck it in, and tbh I thought she was still prepping it before she said 'that's it, all done'

Just to help put anyone wary at ease, it really isn't any hassle

I had my jab last Sunday, it was a lot easier than I expected [really detest needles!] - the lightest 'jab' I've ever experienced, and I've had many bloods done over the years and injections for pain releif. I always look away as they are administering the jab, this time I had barely turned when the girl stuck it in, and tbh I thought she was still prepping it before she said 'that's it, all done'

Just to help put anyone wary at ease, it really isn't any hassle
I never felt the needle either (I look away to avoid unintentionally tensing my arm up), the extent I wondered if she'd actually done it! Perhaps they're extra fine and sharp this year? :giggle:

Last edited:
I never felt the needle either (I look away to avoid unintentionally tensing my arm up), the extent I wondered if she'd actually done it! Perhaps they're extra fine and sharp this year? :giggle:

That's what I should use as my excuse anymore lol, but really I look away as I tend to imagine it hurts more if I can see it go in. It really was painless this one

Should add that I've had zero side effects, the area surrounding it on the arm was a little tender for a day or two that's it

Went to the surgery this morning at 8:45 for my 9 to 11 slot. Couldn't park anywhere and there was a queue of people, lots not wearing masks, so went home. Went again at 10:00, just got home. Queued for 45 minutes, they then informed us that they were closing the surgery because they had run out of vaccine.
I asked them why they didn't count the vaccine and then invite a corresponding number of people.
That's someone right there that doesn't understand equality law, but there's plenty of them, even in public sector functions, because they're talking nonsense.

I got a very specific timeslot for mine (4.58pm), turned up outside the heallth centre about five minutes before at the same time as the person with the timeslot before mine. Someone at the door checked us in in turn and directed us to the right place where there one person already getting theirs. The person giving the jabs had an exact number of vaccines and a list of names with same number of people on it.

(I'm not over 65 but have a health condition which means they ask me to come and get vaccinated)

Got mine in the local branch of Boots in September, went at 5.30 pm as they were closing, no one else there.
They stayed open until 7 pm especially to administer the flu jabs, good idea
Filled the form in, got stuck, waited a few minutes to see if there was any reaction and home for tea
One other person there waiting when I left, easy and efficient with no hassle at all
Had less side effects this year than the last ten or so, I found last year's particularly bad.

Last edited:
That's someone right there that doesn't understand equality law, but there's plenty of them, even in public sector functions, because they're talking nonsense.

I got a very specific timeslot for mine (4.58pm), turned up outside the heallth centre about five minutes before at the same time as the person with the timeslot before mine. Someone at the door checked us in in turn and directed us to the right place where there one person already getting theirs. The person giving the jabs had an exact number of vaccines and a list of names with same number of people on it.

(I'm not over 65 but have a health condition which means they ask me to come and get vaccinated)

On my letter, I was given a time slot of 09:00 to 11:00, which is pretty ridiculous. Your surgery is deinitely more sensible and organised than mine. Any organisation which has more clients turning up than goods available has no administrative skills.

Just an update on my flu vaccine. Got a text from the surgery on Friday, asking me to arrange my annual flu vaccine, so I phoned them and after 26 minutes managed to talk to someone. I asked them what had happened on 7th November and there was no apology, they simply invited all the patients along befofre they had supplies of vaccine.
So, I have to attend the surgery on Tuesday at 17:50, which sounds a bit more precise. However, they haven't invited my wife along and don't know when they will get any more vaccine. My wife is over 60 and also has underlying health issues. The local pharmacies and Boots don't seem to have any either.
When I phoned the surgery I Googled their number and the first hit was this message on their website.

"UPDATE REGARDING FLU LETTERS BEING SENT FROM NHS ENGLAND:

We are aware a letter from NHS England was sent recently which has been sent to patients who are not eligible for a flu vaccine. We have been notified by NHS England that this was sent in error and these patients will be sent an apology for the incorrect information given. Please only attend our walk in flu clinics if you have been invited by the practice.

(Site updated 26/11/2020)"

I've never had a flu jab and have never had the flu! I've had a few bad colds but never been knocked off my feet with it. (Retired too)

Had an email from Boots last Friday saying they are booking up again now they have new supplies.
My missus who was 60 this year is going tomorrow afternoon for her flu shot.

I get called for a flu jab every year and this year to be fair to them they organized it very well albeit the nurse was clearly tired of it all. She had to read out the four main components and state their origin, so that was new.

I detest jabs but it was business as usual and when it comes around to the Covid19 vaccine I imagine it'll be a similar deal

Exactly the same as my place

Thought I would ressurect this, because I am very frustrated with our surgery. After my initial chaotic attempts to get a flu jab, we enquired back in November and December when my wife would be getting her jab. They said it would be sometime in December - didn't happen.
This morning my wife received a letter from NHS England, informing her that she hasn't yet had an annual flu jab - you couldn't make this up.
They then gave her instructions on how to contact the surgery?????????
I think I will contact them and offload a bit, because I am totally p****d off about the situation.

Thought I would ressurect this, because I am very frustrated with our surgery. After my initial chaotic attempts to get a flu jab, we enquired back in November and December when my wife would be getting her jab. They said it would be sometime in December - didn't happen.
This morning my wife received a letter from NHS England, informing her that she hasn't yet had an annual flu jab - you couldn't make this up.
I think I will contact them and offload a bit, because I am totally p****d off about the situation.
They've also been sending out these letters to people who have already had the vaccination via their GPs, which isn't as annoying as your situation, but isn't terribly useful.

I understand your frustration but don't you think that the surgeries have enough on their plates at the moment?

Please just be kind to whoever you speak to. :)

Reactions: Nod
I understand your frustration but don't you think that the surgeries have enough on their plates at the moment?

Please just be kind to whoever you speak to. :)

I am very pro NHS, but I think our surgery has been woeful over the past year. It has been like the Marie Celeste, with two out of the six doctors (sometimes one) present at any one time. They have nothing to do with the Covid vaccine (dealt with by a medical practice fifteen miles away).

Change surgeries.

just saw this thread mines booked in for 17:00 today
got my letter yesterday and rang them up

mine was supposed to have been on Tuesday but they had no stock so it is now tomorrow.

Back