Flu jab 2020

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Just been down and had my flu jab ,never bothered me in previous years ,but I feel really weird with this one ... drowsy and floppy . Ohhhh dearrrrrrr

I'll look forward to that then, mines at 1420 today!

We had ours last week..........................

Just the usual sore arm and slight general/mild discomfort for 3 - 4 days i.e. nothing to be too concerned about.

PS totally different to the Typhoid & Cholera vaccination I recall back in the 1970's....................as lab technicians at a hospital where they had a suspect typhoid case (from overseas) I and my colleagues were given the only available jab and that included Cholera. The lab normally had about 20 staff, the following day there were 5 of us in and no one was that full of vim & vigour :( As I recall the patient ended up testing negative for Typhoid :banghead: but of course a necessary precaution for the direct nursing staff and lab workers!

Last edited:
At school in Hong Kong in the 60's and 70's we had cholera jabs every 6 months, and the TABT (tetanus, typhoid and something else) every 3 years I think. Sore arms for the TABT but the cholera jab was no problem. Yellow fever jab for going through the Panama Canal though, that was a real bummer.

Just booked my flu jab for later this month. I'd rather a couple of days mild discomfort (if I get it) than the 2 weeks that a dose of real flu tends to knock me out for.

At school in Hong Kong in the 60's and 70's we had cholera jabs every 6 months, and the TABT (tetanus, typhoid and something else) every 3 years I think. Sore arms for the TABT but the cholera jab was no problem. Yellow fever jab for going through the Panama Canal though, that was a real bummer.

The cholera shot for HK never bothered me either, but it flattened my wife! They scrapped this requirement at some point during the 70s IIRC. The yellow fever vaccination was always a bit of an 'experience'.

Just booked my flu jab for later this month. I'd rather a couple of days mild discomfort (if I get it) than the 2 weeks that a dose of real flu tends to knock me out for.

I'm undecided about this. I've never had a flu shot, but I've never had flu either. OTOH I'm 67 now, and with the plague lurking in the background it might be a good idea.

I contacted my GP and local pharmacy this morning and they have both run out. When they get some in, they will be prioritising over 65's. I wonder if I could "self ID" as being over 65?

I contacted my GP and local pharmacy this morning and they have both run out. When they get some in, they will be prioritising over 65's. I wonder if I could "self ID" as being over 65?
You can also go to the chemists and pay for it

£8 in Asda ...

But it hurts less in the arm!!! :mooning:

Had ours on Saturday and we both feel carp today. Last year we had no reaction at all.

Had mine yesterday, so far feeling fine although I noticed that my systolic blood pressure is nicely down this morning (FWTIW)

I remember having the recommended smallpox vaccination before going on holiday to France and Spain as a child in the early 70s, and still have the small round white scar on my left arm... try telling that to someone under 40 and they won't believe you!

Well we feel much better today. Hopefully it's the only "flu" we'll get this winter.

I'd much rather avoid sneezing people as I've got the luxury of that now and make sure my vitamin and mineral levels are topped up. I'll be fine thanks.

People who are spreading the Chinavirus due to a could not care less attitude are seen as pariahs. People who generally cough, sneeze, splutter etc. without covering their virulent face holes should also be treated as pariahs.

I had my flu jab done at my GP Surgery on Saturday afternoon, they were well organised, no queuing & I only saw a couple of people while I was there. We were given precise appointment times (mine was 15:36pm) and were asked to stick to the time as closely as possible.

I am glad to say no after affects apart from a slight soreness where the needle went in.

I've been having the flu jab for 30 years ish, the only problem I've ever had is bruising due to inept nurses.

I'm still trying to get mine ! GP practice aren't doing them - it's all being organised by the HealthBoard and the Practice Nurses have been taken out of their Practices and are working in Vaccination Centres throughout the area. It's so well organised that the Teams are turning up and then discover the appointment letters have not been sent etc etc !!

I'm still trying to get mine ! GP practice aren't doing them - it's all being organised by the HealthBoard and the Practice Nurses have been taken out of their Practices and are working in Vaccination Centres throughout the area. It's so well organised that the Teams are turning up and then discover the appointment letters have not been sent etc etc !!

Some pharmacies offer the vaccination. We chose this option and it was fine. Quick and efficient.

My Pharmacy is waiting for Vaccine for the over 65s to come in - I'm on their list

I'm scheduled for jab this afternoon.
I have been invited by Doctor's surgery to a drive through flu jab clinic being held on a local private estate. If you're the driver, you get it in the right arm. If the passenger, in the left arm. Interesting approach. Certainly makes me feel safer than entering the surgery.

Just got back.
Pleasant drive down a track on a private country estate, lined by marshals with signs giving instructions. Arrived at an open dutch barn which split into three lanes drove in, arm out window, injected and drove out. Altogether a pleasant drive in the countryside.

I'm scheduled for jab this afternoon.
I have been invited by Doctor's surgery to a drive through flu jab clinic being held on a local private estate. If you're the driver, you get it in the right arm. If the passenger, in the left arm. Interesting approach. Certainly makes me feel safer than entering the surgery.

Following the "keep it simple" approach. Good idea.

Mine will be in the surgery (well, that's the current plan!). Wear a mask and loose clothing so the time in there is as short as possible - I'll be wearing a short sleeve shirt and a gilet, with a suitable top layer if necessary!

Had mine it was organised at a sub surgery in the next village.... Hand sanitiser .... in the front door out the back.... all by set time appointments, and fixed distancing.
Needn't have worried, I was the only person there . Stung a bit this year, last year hardly noticed a thing. I get the wrinklies version.
no after effects at all.

People who are spreading the Chinavirus due to a could not care less attitude are seen as pariahs. People who generally cough, sneeze, splutter etc. without covering their virulent face holes should also be treated as pariahs.

What is this Chinavirus you speak of.. Does it turn American republicans in to Chinese communists or something?

Mine will be in the surgery (well, that's the current plan!). Wear a mask and loose clothing so the time in there is as short as possible - I'll be wearing a short sleeve shirt and a gilet, with a suitable top layer if necessary!

Mine was in the surgery earlier today. I've been in a few times for blood tests since March (no option there). They've made it all very safe and nothing to worry about. I went in in a tee shirt and out about a minute later. Didn't feel a thing. Today the nurse gave me the old crumblies' one for the first time although I'm not 65 yet, so I'm hoping I get the same reaction as I've had to all the others - nothing.

We were also offered the pneumonia jab. I had one last year and was told it lasted 5 years. I was offered again this year, so I declined.
Mrs had hers for the first time this year.
No reaction in either case.

Offered one through work. Normally done at our surgery when I get my bloods done but I thought I would utilise the work scheme....

I am a Biomedical Scientist - blood is my thing - but I HATE NEEDLES!

So do I! Spent some time in hospital a few years ago and because I had been (probably mis)diagnosed as diabetic (Type 2), I had my finger pricked several times per day as well as having blood taken twice a day and assorted jabs/drips etc.. Of all the "penetrations", the finger pricks were the most painful and the blood taking the least so. These days I can look the other way and barely feel being stabbed (by a nurse - doctors are crap at jabbing!!!)

Had mine done at the local pharmacy last week, I walked in to ask if I could make an appointment to do it and they said “how about right now?” That was for over 65s only though, they didn’t have enough vaccine stocks otherwise. Felt a bit rubbish a couple of days afterwards and it made my arm sore but otherwise I was fine. According to my wife (ex nurse) as it was my first flu jab I probably had a worse reaction and subsequent years should be better.

Still waiting for mine - no appointment letter as yet from Health Board and local Pharmacy still can't get vaccine

Back