Foaming Perceptol

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
After souping yesterday's film in Perceptol 1+3, using my usual 2 inversions and a knock on the bench per minute technique, I noticed that the dev, when finished was very bubbly indeed. I've also noticed a little spotting/uneven developing on some of the neg's, all at what I'm assuming was the top of the film, which presumably was caused by the bubbly dev.

Now, If this is a normal occurrence/situation with Perceptol, I'll agitate a bit less next time - if it's not a common problem - i'm gonna assume that I didn't rinse the developing tank properly after the last film - the Stab bath for Tetenal c41 is a bit on the soapy side :shrug:

If you've only got them at the top of the reel do you think you might have under filled it?

If you've only got them at the top of the reel do you think you might have under filled it?

Tank takes 300ml for a 35mm roll, I make a point of mixing and putting 400ml in there - after screwing up once by catching the lip of the dev. tank and spilling some of the 300ml mix, and ending with a strip of untouched at the top of the negs. So - I'm pretty sure that wasn't that. :shrug:

That is strange then because even with some foaming you should have more than enough to cover the reel in fluid.

I'm thinking that there were so many bubbles, the usual knock on the table didn't dislodge all the bubbles from the film. I was just really surprised that there was so much foam when I came to tip out the dev.

Did you use rinse aid or washing up liquid for the last film and not clean the tank thoroughly enough??

D

Did you use rinse aid or washing up liquid for the last film and not clean the tank thoroughly enough??

D

last film was C41 processed in Tetenal kit, and final bath is the STAB - stabiliser - it does have a bit of a soapy nature, as I think I mentioned in my OP. I was fairly sure that I washed everything thoroughly afterwards though, but perhaps not :shrug:

I was just wanting to check if anyone who uses perceptol had noticed a foaming problem with it... if so, then I'll modify my agitation schdule - if not, then I'll scrub the tank thoroughly, and hope for the best.

last film was C41 processed in Tetenal kit, and final bath is the STAB - stabiliser - it does have a bit of a soapy nature, as I think I mentioned in my OP. I was fairly sure that I washed everything thoroughly afterwards though, but perhaps not :shrug:

Opps sorry I must have skipped the second paragraph.

It's been many years since I did any B&W developing but having used Perceptol and ID-11 (among others) over many years I don't ever remember having foaming problems. Enough other problems to write a book as I learnt but not foaming

HTH

David

Inversion agitation should eliminate those bubble problems.

Inversion agitation should eliminate those bubble problems.

That's my normal approach - 2 gentle inversions of the tank, followed by a solid tap on the draining board to dislodge any of the bubbles... Normally don't have a problem with foaming, but it was only 2nd time with perceptol, and first try was 2 films in a tank - so tank was pretty much full - no space to slosh around and bubble. I'm definitely tending towards either residual STAB in the tank and duff washing up technique :shrug:

Lol keep the Fairy Liquid out of the water then. :D

Lol keep the Fairy Liquid out of the water then. :D

Now I've been reassured by a few people that Perceptol isn't prone to foaming, I'm happy to assume that it was the usual problem I was having - operator error :LOL:

hmm. there was me thinking that when the id-11 is all gone I may look at something different - like perceptol. not so sure now!

hmm. there was me thinking that when the id-11 is all gone I may look at something different - like perceptol. not so sure now!

I'll keep you posted when I soup another roll Arthur - I spent 10 minutes rinsing every component of the dev tank and spiral to remove any trace of washing up liquid etc. this time, so If it foams again i'm not going to be a happy bunny :shrug:

I'll keep you posted when I soup another roll Arthur - I spent 10 minutes rinsing every component of the dev tank and spiral to remove any trace of washing up liquid etc. this time, so If it foams again i'm not going to be a happy bunny :shrug:

I'd be tempted to do a test run without any film.

Matt

Why did you choose to use perceptol instead of ID11?

Back