Focus on imaging

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
Did anyone go to the NEC today at all?

I went along as it was my first time at one of these and thought it was very good. There were some cracking bargins around especially one place 'Bob Rigby' stand B13, they were doing VAT free prices, brought a Manfrotto monopod head and Tripod bag. Also everyone one was doing cheap CF cards Sans disk Extreme 133x 1Gb 49.99, new Lexar 133x 1GB same price.

Also had a go with the 30d, being a novice i think it looked and felt very good. The larger screen on the back was very usefull. I think as some of you have said, if you have a 20d stick with what you've got, but if your in the market for a new/upgrade it's definatley gets my vote. :thumb:

I'm going tomorrow fella, in search of getting to pick up and feel a few tripods before making my final decision. Hope it gonna be a good one ....

Have a good look round b4 taking the plunge as different places are playing off each other with prices, the following had good deals, 1st Cameras, Cameraworld and the VAT free Bob Rigby(plenty of tripods on their stand.)

i stayed away to protect my wallet!
i want a 70-200 f2.8 l is and if i'd have driven all that way, i'd have needed to come back with something to make it worthwhile :eek2:

You only live once, get down and spend...spend....spend!!!

I am also going tomorrow, and its my birthday tomorrow, so a good excuse to buy something.

Just checking now which credit cards I know the pin numbers for.. :D

Mark.

Happy Birthday for tomorrow btw!

Glen,
were there lots of 30D's on show or just some particular stands?
Did you spot any good deals on the 20D?

Planning to go tomorrow as its only 25mins up the road from me :)

Mark

If you go to the end of the Jacobs stand, you'll see the Canon Experience Seminar bit, the people on there have a selection of which one is a 30d with a 24-105L lens on it (Very Nice) They'll let you have a play.

Far as I could see the average for a 20d kit was around £749 mark possibly less, although Jacobs did have 'B' stock 20d's for £659 as kits, these have been given back to Canon with a fault which is totally fixed and given a 6 month warrenty.

If it interests you the are a few useful talks on the adobe stands about Photoshop tips/do's/don'ts etc...These were interesting.

But have a good look round as there are LOADS of bargins and a few stands have signs saying 'talk to us about a deal' which you can't fault.

Memory card deals were the best, very cheap all over.

Many thanks for the pointers. Sounds like you really enjoyed your day out today :)

Mark

It was worth it, but WARNING it can seriously damage you bank balance!!!

Words 'Kid' and 'Sweet Shop' spring to mind

Price of the 24-105 L was at on place 649.00, but I think I saw it cheaper but can't remember where. Just have a scout round, on the outer 'ring' just down from Jacobs, was one of the places that would 'do deals', would be worth going here once you'd found your best price and get 'em to beat it.

I managed to get Jacobs down to £639 for a Canon 24-105 f4 L IS :)

And the member of staff that served me on the Jacobs stall was the Manager of my local Jacobs branch, so thats even better, should I have any problem with it.

Particularly enjoyed the phase one, Capture one pro demo.
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/PROSoftware.aspx

Nice software, makes Raw workflow easy, but a bit spendy for me at the moment :)

The images from the P45
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P 45.aspx
39 Megapixel Digital back are fantastic !

Mark.

Nice one! hope to see some good pics from the lens!!!

Did anyone have a look at the Photopal stand with 'Benro' tripods on ??? They must have had the same castings / design plans as Gitzo .... they were an exact replica. Only diffrence being they were half pice of the Gitzo ones !!! had the full range on as well Aluminium / Basalt / Carbon Fibre....

Didn't buy one but would be interested to know if anyone has heard of them ???

Mark Grant said:
I managed to get Jacobs down to £639 for a Canon 24-105 f4 L IS :)

And the member of staff that served me on the Jacobs stall was the Manager of my local Jacobs branch, so thats even better, should I have any problem with it.

Particularly enjoyed the phase one, Capture one pro demo.
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/PROSoftware.aspx

Nice software, makes Raw workflow easy, but a bit spendy for me at the moment :)

The images from the P45
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P 45.aspx
39 Megapixel Digital back are fantastic !

Mark.

Hi Mark, I noticed their offering the 24-105 as the kit lens for the 5D, and as I bought a 5D back in November I would be interested in what's you first impressions of the 24-105 are.

First impressions of the 24-105 f4 L are that it's a keeper for sure !

Amazingly sharp and contrasty !

There is nothing about this one not to like :)

I will try to get out at the weekend for some decent shots, and put some on pbase.

Mark.

Back