Beginner Focus question using Nikon D850

Name
Thomas Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening folks.

I've been shooting with my trusty D850 for a while and am having issues with focusing while trying to get a group photo.

Usual issue is as follows:

A group of people fill the screen (could be three or twenty people, always same issue). The left hand side is always out of focus while the rest of it is fine.

It's the same regardless of lens (24-70 or 70-200 etc).

Any suggestions will be gratefully received and may stop me screaming.

What AF settings are you using?

Good evening folks.

I've been shooting with my trusty D850 for a while and am having issues with focusing while trying to get a group photo.

Usual issue is as follows:

A group of people fill the screen (could be three or twenty people, always same issue). The left hand side is always out of focus while the rest of it is fine.

It's the same regardless of lens (24-70 or 70-200 etc).

Any suggestions will be gratefully received and may stop me screaming.
Make sure that the people on each side are the same distance from the camera.

The image sensor could be tilted... that is adjustable, but would need sent in for service. Also check the lens mount on the camera body... if it is loose or bent it can cause something of a tilt-shift DoF effect. Typically either of these will cause one side to be a bit forward and the other to be a bit behind the point of focus (using center point); but it can also cause one side to be w/in the DoF and the other to be farther out.

I suppose it could also be a large smudge kind of obstruction on the sensor itself... but I've never seen/heard of that.

Assuming it's not some user error (like using f/1.4 and focus/recompose with a deep group) I think you might be best off sending it in for service... especially if it is under some type of warranty/insurance.

I would find a suitable garage door, a large broadsheet newspaper, tripod, camera and cable release.

Set up camera say about the same distance you used in the group photo, absolutely square onto the garage door and not at an angle. Confirmation that left side of image is soft will support the theory it is a problem in the camera rather than the operator. If the images come out fine then it could be the set up, ie folk on the left being closer or further away than the folk on the right.

Back