Beginner Focussing...

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,
Real basic "you shouldn't be here" type question :D

I've been trying to do more video recently (using my DSLR - 1dx2), but I'm finding the focus keeps dropping out, and won't seem to track fast enough - if taking images it focusses nice and fast.
Anyone got any tips for panning & zooming, and also (probably quite important!) if anyone has experience of the 1dx2 video and any recommended settings?

Subjects today were a flying kingfisher, and a flying barn owl.

My movie settings are:
100fps FHD
Movie Servo AF Enabled (and also tried disabled)
Movie Servo AF Speed 0
Movie Servo AF Tracking sensitivity -1 (towards locked on)
FlexiZoneAF

Then in AF settings I'm using 'Case 6' - subjects that change speed and move erratically.

Would I be better off going for manual focus to avoid the AF points picking up something else?

Many thanks in advance

Out again tonight, same bloody issue - though this time I missed what must have been one of the best Barn Owl encounters I've had! Frustrated is merely an understatement!

I don't even know where to go with this - I tried a variety of settings, and I just can't get it to lock on (unless the subject is static or traversing).

I assume that video uses contrast detect AF (can't use phase detect as the mirror is up) in which case there's you problem and I guess manual focus is the answer.

edit: I see the 1dx2 has on sensor phase detect so should be better so I guess it's just that this isn't as good as the proper PDAF module used for stills and AF tracking with on chip phase detect still seems to be pretty sucky at tracking (across all brands), especially with small subjects.

Last edited:
I was reading up some guides last night - and it seems that using the 'face tracking' option on other items also works - so one chap used it to 'recognise' a horse and managed to keep the horse in focus as it ran around an arena.
@Nawty yes the 1dx2 has the dual-pixel sensor which I thought was supposed to allow phase detect on the sensor as you say.

I'll try the face detect option - failing that I'll try my luck at manual focus, but I've never really been any good with the 'accuracy' of that, especially with moving subjects :|

I never had much success doing video with a DSLR, (nikon D800). Everything is manual so there is the first problem, you really need a tripod. I have seen advertised levers that clamp around the focus rings etc to help adjust. I reverted back to my camcorder for video work which it is designed for, and far far easier. Lets face it having a video option on a DSLR is more of a gimmick to help sell a camera then practical use. The cost of a good camcorder now is so cheap I wonder if it is worth the bother of struggling with a DSLR.

But that is just my opinion, I have a Panasonic one and it is really good

Link
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/camcorders/xx-criteria.html

Last edited:
Thats a fair comment. I have been impressed with the video quality (when in focus) from the 1dx2, both in 4k, and the slo-motion HD (which is what I'm trying to do)... having an optical zoom instead of digital, I was hoping it would retain more quality in the footage. but fundamentally, if I can't get this to work for me and I still want to pursue video, then I might have to look at a camcorder of some description!

Thats a fair comment. I have been impressed with the video quality (when in focus) from the 1dx2, both in 4k, and the slo-motion HD (which is what I'm trying to do)... having an optical zoom instead of digital, I was hoping it would retain more quality in the footage. but fundamentally, if I can't get this to work for me and I still want to pursue video, then I might have to look at a camcorder of some description!

this is just one example I took with my camcorder( handheld)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQI23VmWeCc

Tricky lighting conditions onboard cruise ship

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-FWS2O1oDk&t=11s

No having to adjust focus, great zoom range and quality sound is just a small part of the difference between shooting camcorder V DSLR. As for slow-mo that can be done in editing. New camcorders than mine in panasonic have built in Slo-mo I believe as well

Last edited:
I use a Blackmagic design Video Assist 4K on my DSLR's the ability to use Focus Peeking on the Video Assist is a revelation and massive help not only it allow you to focus very accurately it also allows you to manage and visualise the depth of field. You can see at a glance what's in focus and how that fits within the current depth of field. They allow you to record in ProRes up to about 200mbs and they are on sale at the moment with quiet a good discount.

You should try some form of focus assist and manual focus.

You can get peaking on a Canon using Magic Lantern

You can get peaking on a Canon using Magic Lantern
Apart from on the 1 series bodies

Although you shouldn't be having trouble with a 1dx mk2 as they've got dual pixel AF in Live View??

what other setting are you using? Aperture, lens, focal length?

Last edited:
Back