Folders in Lightroom

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I am fairly new to LR CC - 10 months or so - and I have few questions so here goes;

With LR open, on the left under Folders tab, that lists all of my imported images thus far, should I rename the folder from the date that the pictures were taken to what the event was called?
so far, I have been doing that, so I can find the event/images that I want as well as naming individual images.

But with that, I go do events that cover two or more days, so I have renamed the folders from the e.g: 2016 Jun 11 / 2016 Jun 12 to British GT 2016 Saturday and British GT 2016 Sunday respectively.

Could these not be in one folder and have a drop down with two sub folders? Is this possible or how LR works?

I am in the process of importing my 8+ years of events into LR and want to make it right.

thanks in advance of you help

Darren

There is no reason that you cannot create a folder for that event and drag-and-drop the two days into the one 'weekend' folder, providing you do it all from inside lightroom then all will be merry.

Hi, thanks for that about the collections, but that was not exactly want I wanted. I have found what I wanted in this very basic and simple of features in LR. Who Knew:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04H_0bH-dgY

I now have the task of how to folder, subfolder and organise my images/catalogue.

Hi, thanks for that about the collections, but that was not exactly want I wanted. I have found what I wanted in this very basic and simple of features in LR. Who Knew:

I now have the task of how to folder, subfolder and organise my images/catalogue.

You can do it this way of course, but the day will come as your catalogue grows, when you will be hard put to remember the location of all these folders and sub-folders. You should also learn key wording and collections like the smart guys do!

Each image has a keyword/title to it. I will look into collections and anything else that might help.

All my images are in lightroom and keyworded they go into folders year and inside the year the month and then the folder created for the date on import...................I found a dozen images from thousands ( someone wanted prints) over a 7 year spread and it took minutes to find them all using lightroom..........I then made them into a collection.

Last edited:
Back