Fomapan 100 Vs 400 4x5

Edit My Images
No
Never used either in 4x5 but I’ve used 100 in 120 and I’ve seen defects in it before, lots of white specs, it’s cheap though.
Is there a significant difference between the 2 speeds in 4x5? The extra 2 stops would be beneficial. I’m pretty sure I have some rodinal lying around so it would be developed in that

Fomopan is cheap for a reason - it's bloody awful quality and IMO only suitable for non-important experimental or practice shots.

I've got half a box of 4x5 to use up myself that I just got with a new camera, but I certainly won't be expecting much from it.

Try Kentmere, it's a good, low price but much better quality. I've just ordered some more at only £4.82 a roll:

I'm hoping to see some in 4x5, I don't know if they plan to do some or not . . .

I can't speak for 120 but I am familiar with its production issues.

However 4x5 foma is an excellent economical choice, the people over at Stearman use it:

Also if you head over to the Large Format Photography forum, LFP ( I'm not sure i am allowed to share the link but ill ask for forgiveness later :

, they have a whole thread on Foma 4x5) and some of the work is incredible

You have to work within its limitations but at half the price of Ilford you can afford to make more mistakes, and they are optimistic with their film speeds in regards to shadow detail, more 50-80 in Rodinal

Film is a personal choice so buy a box and if its not for you try something else!

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer Foma 100 over 400, I found that 400 blocked up the shadows too quickly when exposed at 400 and even when I overexposed it on purpose I never felt happy with the results (using XTOL/Adox XT3 and HC110), so I just use HP5 if I want extra speed. Once I get through my stock of Foma I'll standardise on HP5 so I have the same film stock from 35mm up to 8x10.

Since you're most likely going to be working with a tripod with 5x4, 100 isn't really much of a hassle to deal with, especially with the lower max shutter speeds on the lenses.

Last edited:
'Since you're most likely going to be working with a tripod with 5x4, 100 isn't really much of a hassle to deal with, especially with the lower max shutter speeds on the lenses.'

Just a caution because (all?) Fomapan needs exposure compensation for long exposures. Having said that Fomapan 100 is almost the only 5x4 film I've ever used and the results have been excellent.

Back