Fomapan 100

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone help me with developing times for Fomapan 100 sheet film using Ilfotec LC29 developer.
I have found 6.5 minutes (1/19 solution) for the same film in 120 format....I am wondering wether it will be the same for the sheet format.

Have you tried digital truth as I've only developed it in XTOL so can't be much help.

One thing I've found is that it's best rated at iso80 or 64 and even then it doesn't hold much shadow detail. Has a nice look for portraits though.

Thanks for that response.
Yes i have tried digital truth.....thats where i got the info regarding the 120 format.
Maybe i will have to just play around a bit........part of the fun but can be a frustrating and expensive learning process!!
Any other offers of advice will be appriciated.
Thanks again

The Fomapan 100 Data Sheet I found doesn't list different dev times for sheet film with their noted developer list. So I'd assume that the dev time for 120 roll is probably in the ball park and a good starting point assuming you develop in a daylight tank with a similar agitation profile.

Yes I think you are correct with that...It sounds as good a starting point as any unless I receive contrary advice from other TP members.
Thank you for your help.

As a starting point I use 7 minutes at 24 XTOL 1:1 rotary processor.
From that time there may be an equivalent time for your developer?

Just developed one sheet of Fomapan 100 in LC29 1/19 solution 20celsius for 6.5 minutes and the negative looks pretty good using the 120 format developing time proved to be a good starting point afterall. Thanks to those that helped.

Just developed one sheet of Fomapan 100 in LC29 1/19 solution 20celsius for 6.5 minutes and the negative looks pretty good using the 120 format developing time proved to be a good starting point afterall. Thanks to those that helped.

So how do you develop your sheet film? Tray, tank, etc?

Changing bag and Patterson system 4 tank!
It's far from an ideal way of processing sheet film but with no possibility of a darkroom, it is a reasonable alternative.
If you wish to know precisely the process then let me know and I will do my best to explain.

Changing bag and Patterson system 4 tank!
It's far from an ideal way of processing sheet film but with no possibility of a darkroom, it is a reasonable alternative.
If you wish to know precisely the process then let me know and I will do my best to explain.

Thanks for the offer. I develop my 4x5 sheet film same as my roll film with this device I made. You can see the HP Combi plan tank I use in the second picture. I put on an adapter to hold it. And here is a video I made while building it if you're interested.

Wow what a superb device! Well done.
Makes my process seem somewhat jurasic lol but noetheless it works me.
By sharing it, maybe someone else will be able to obtain photos from some of the cameras they have that they believed would never be used!
Basically I use the changing bag to load/ unload film/plate holders.
The exposed sheet film is removed from the film holder and gently "folded" (not creased!) in half placing the top and bottom edges together...The film is held in this position with an elastic band.
It is imperative that the emulsion side of the film is on the inside!
The film is the placed in the tank (upto 4 will fit in a standard system 4 tank) with the central "spool" in place. If this "spool" is not in place then the tank will not be lightproof!!!!
The funnel lid is attached and then the developing process is carried out just as if developing roll film.
At the moment I only use 9x12 and quarter plate film but I am confident this process will work for larger formats if i use a larger tank!
I scan my negatives onto the computer then print just like any other digital photograph.
The limitations of the scanner means that should I develop larger formats then I will have to request the services of a photolab to have the images put onto paper...A small price to pay if it means I can obtain prints from some of my oldest cameras.
Like most photographers, I strive for a quality photograph as an end result, however with my vintage photography I receive an immense amount of pleasure simply from obtaining an image( regardless of quality) from cameras that are sometimes over 100 years old!

If you are using a paterson tank make sure that you agitate! I have found that you need to invert the tank at least 4 times every 30 seconds to get even development when using fomapan.

Back