Food hygeine scores an eye opener!

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
You may not know that restaurants now need to be tested and given a score from 0-5, and all the results can be found on the link below, where you can search by area or restaurant name. Quite a eye opener! One family pub chain i go once a week with the family because they have a play area and its cheap got 1 out of 5. Safe to say its the last time i go there. The 2 most popular pizza joints after dominos in town both got a big fat zero!

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/search/en-GB?sm=1

our local wetherspoons gets a 5 out of 5 I was impressed
you can get a pretty good curry and drinks for 2 people for £12

Cooo - very comprehensive list!
Thanks for the link (y)

My area has a few gems....
Kebab van in town gets 1 star but similar sized van run by locals I know get 5 stars.
All my local pubs get three stars except for the spit and sawdust pub which gets 5 stars :D:D:D

The ones in my area just say Pass or Improvement Needed. The posh deli down the road gets improvement needed!

Just looked up a local establishment that has a 5 rating. A woman was taken ill after eating there and died from foodpoisoning.

my mate works for Environmental health which is all fun until you suggest join for a curry and all he say's about the place you have picked is "errr maybe somewhere else" puts you on edge.

In England and Wales its 1-5 rated and in scotland its pass or improvement needed. if you ever travel there is also an app but its been a bit hit and miss

They should be mate to display this in there front window. I'm sure they would buck up there ideas pretty sharpish.

You should be worried. The shop I work in gets 5 out of 5. I've seen the place, I can only say a rating of 1 must be quite something.

This and or a similar system has been in place for at least the last 10 years, as someone that's both worked in the hospitality industry, and also for my dad's old firm which was an industrial cleaning company you'd be physically sick as some of the commercial kitchens that I've been into (including schools), there are some that I wouldn't feed a dead dog in, let alone eat from myself...and you've been able to search this information for at least 7 years, the same as you can check licences etc

Just checked the takeaways I used to go to in Bristol and all except one, which scored 1, scored 5. It must be a pretty easy test is all I can say!

I've worked all over the country in a lot of the major food companies laying resin floors, its an eye opener, the cleanest I worked in was a pet food producer.

my village isn't even listed on the site! And there's at least 20 places to eat on the high street, it's the so called captial of the new forest.

my village isn't even listed on the site! And there's at least 20 places to eat on the high street, it's the so called captial of the new forest.

You can put your postcode in and refine the search to closest.

Saw a program on this a little while back and whilst it's a good guide, a kitchen may be spotlessly clean and hygienic but may lose marks for not having the correct documentation, written procedures in place.

Saying that, I think I'd tend to avoid anywhere that scores less than 3 ;)

Allbthe restaurants and takeaways we use are all 4+ apart from the only place I can get thai takeaway in preston that only gets a 1, wish I had carried on blissfully unaware!

Allbthe restaurants and takeaways we use are all 4+ apart from the only place I can get thai takeaway in preston that only gets a 1, wish I had carried on blissfully unaware!
You will have to learn to make one yourself. I know its never the same though is it.

However - look at the date of the inspection. Some of those dates are quite old and a lot can happen in a short time. I would expect the inspections to be done annually :shrug:

None listed for where I live, like everything, I will carry on using the ones I use, never been ill from them, so that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
It's a shame you can't see the reports. The Care Inspectorate publish reports of childminders and nurseries so not sure why Food Hygiene can't.

Julie, you might be able to get hold of the reports under the Freedom of Information Act but it'll probably cost you to do so.

Luckily, everywhere we go or have deliveries from are 4+ with all bar one being the full 5.

Nod said:
Julie, you might be able to get hold of the reports under the Freedom of Information Act but it'll probably cost you to do so.

Luckily, everywhere we go or have deliveries from are 4+ with all bar one being the full 5.

Possibly but I wouldn't be that interested to take the effort of filing a request. It would be good, when browsing, to open a quick file and see what the issue was. The majority of the places we use got Pass but a few are Improvement Needed.

i had a quick read through and decided to go for the indian
it was lovely and rated at a 4

I see a lot of restaurants/cafes display signs called "Scores on the door" which seems to be suggesting some sort of rating. Is this the same as the govt thing?

Possibly but I wouldn't be that interested to take the effort of filing a request. It would be good, when browsing, to open a quick file and see what the issue was. The majority of the places we use got Pass but a few are Improvement Needed.

You could try asking the establishments for a look at their reports!

:eek:

My Local Chinese who we use about once a week, and have done for the last 5 years...

Big fat 0.

Damn.. tastes good though and we have never been ill from there.

Apparently there are no food establishments in,Poole..

:thinking:

Poole have never bothered with this scheme, unlike next door in Bournemouth who were one of the first with "Scores on the Doors" which we were awarded Gold and now 5 in our last inspection. Not bad for a greasy spoon lol

Nice,
My supermarket is rated "2" - "Improvement Necessary".
The Public Supermarket restaurant is rated "3" - "Generally Satisfactory"
And the Staff Supermarket restaurant is rated "4" - "Good".

Nice to know that they look after their customers!! lol :puke:

My favourite Chinese restaurant/cafe, not only in Birmingham, but in the country got 1/5! :-O Ignorance is bliss. Wish I'd never looked now!

Mind you my kitchen would get condemned if the inspectors saw the state of it at the moment!

Back