Football Penalty Shot

I really like this. I was drawn straight to his eyes then to the football. My only point is the item in black bottom right is a little distracting. However, you have done better than I could.

Very good action shot and cool rendition too!

Saw this on your "portfolio" thread but not too keen on it, had it been shot with a backdrop of 20,000 fans it would be outstanding but the bleakness of the background spoils what is essentially an excellent capture

Saw this on your "portfolio" thread but not too keen on it, had it been shot with a backdrop of 20,000 fans it would be outstanding but the bleakness of the background spoils what is essentially an excellent capture

Thanks for looking and your feedback Gary, trying to determine whether to keep this in or not, will more than likely remove from selection.

I think if you crop it tighter, get rid of the red vehicle, the black bit bottom right etc it becomes a stronger image, but agree 20,000 fans would improve - but hardly likely at non-league!

I agree with Photodiva: crop closer to the ball on the left and it becomes much more powerful. Very good timing as it stands, anyway.

For me the perspective is off. It looks like the post is the near post so the shot is wide, without the context of if it is a save/miss/goal it takes away the drama. His position and the colours are good but the van is distracting and going from a lower angle or having some ground could show/emphasise the height more dramatically. Hope I've not been too harsh and I'm not saying I would do better but that's what would be in my mind for the next time...

It's a nice shot but I was expecting more for it. It's not a fault or a ball kick and I think something it's missing from it. I don't think I would've done better but a wider image I reckon works better.

I remember watching a presentation by a photographer once (his name escapes me) who preached about the background being as important as the rest of the photograph. This is a prime example of an excellent action shot being ruined by the background. Afraid I agree with what Gary says earlier in the thread. Great capture but unfortunately ruined by an awful background.

Cracking photo, you don't get many of these to the pound :)

There is nothing ruined here, it is what it is, a fantastic photo of a fantastic save, taken in the circumstance provided. Having shot football for years I would die for a shot like this and I wonder how many others have got one similar in the portfolio?

20,000 people in the background my a*rse, you wouldn't fit 200 in that space and we don't all get to shoot matches with a massive attendance, there's no money in it anyway.

You have to see critique for what it is and it can sometimes border on the ridiculous, here anyway.

Cracking photo, you don't get many of these to the pound :)

There is nothing ruined here, it is what it is, a fantastic photo of a fantastic save, taken in the circumstance provided. Having shot football for years I would die for a shot like this and I wonder how many others have got one similar in the portfolio?

Mostly you are correct ..I would be happ[y with this as a shot.....accept this is for a portfolio .yes good shot. but should never ever make it to a portfolio to be presented as someones best work.. same shot with a crowd in background shot wide open yes would make it.. but this.. defenitely not.

You have to see critique for what it is and it can sometimes border on the ridiculous, here anyway.

Oh the irony :)

but should never ever make it to a portfolio to be presented as someones best work

+1

Yesterday I was shooting a soccer field in Kaindorf
and, though I worked hard to make good shots and
the club was very happy with them… I was not.

These ugly advertising panels everywhere, parked
cars and junk food stands really killed the takes.

The club was happy, I was paid but these shots won't
find the way to my portfolio.

Great timing.... definitely the decisive moment as they say but shame about the background as already pointed out by others.

'Mostly you are correct ..I would be happ[y with this as a shot.....accept this is for a portfolio .yes good shot. but should never ever make it to a portfolio to be presented as someones best work.. same shot with a crowd in background shot wide open yes would make it.. but this.. defenitely not'

Don't know who appointed you as judge and executioner but you are a country mile out on a fantastic photo that deserves praise and would stand out in any portfolio!

Who said best work? He didn't put it up as best work!

Deary me, this is not a place for budding photographers, it's a cracking shot!!

Don't know who appointed you as judge and executioner !!

Well I say it doesnt belong in a portflio and you say it does.. for my opinion I get slagged off by you. Why do you feel the need to attack someone who has a different opinion to yours?

A portfolio is a selection of your best work... no he didnt say it was his best, but its implied if looking to put it in a portfolio....surely ?

Great shot. I suppose it'd be better without the fire engine there, but it was there! Portfolio wise, I'd say it depends who you are showing the portfolio to and why. If you need to demonstrate that you have the skills and quick reactions to capture images like this, I'd say it doesn't matter about the background. You can't do anything about the background in this shot (well you could have sat in a different spot, but then you wouldn't have this image), but it clearly demonstrates the required skill to get that shot.

Exactly gibtheo, you have to be there to get the shot, in the zone if you like..

Anyone who knew their subject would realise the skill involved. regardless of the background. You have to ask yourself why this needs explaining on a photographers forum?

'It's all about me'' syndrome springs to mind from people who are supposedly top of the pile but are asking for advice on keyring and fridge magnet suppliers?

Deary me, loads of profit there then, good luck with your business forum and spend per head, you'll need it.

For the record, I think the action part of the picture is superb - well captured, perfect timing, excellent. I'm afraid I stand by my earlier comment though, that the background just takes the edge off it too much, and stops a great picture being a superb one. Is this the OP's fault? Of course not. Sometimes you have no control over the background you're shooting against and have to work with what you've got...but I don't think anyone can deny how much better the picture would look with a stand full of fans rather than a drab wall and fire engine. Thems the breaks though.

When it comes to the portfolio element, i'd agree with Steven (gibtheo) that it depends what the aim of the portfolio is. If all they're looking at is the capture of the perfect moment from an action perspective, it could do the job. If, like most portfolios, they're looking at the entire picture, composition, scene etc. then there's a good chance they're going to do similar to what some are doing on here - marking down because of the background. It's a judgement call.

Its a great capture. I've tried this on numerous times and have a mixed success rate.

Shooting at this level makes the image a great capture but if you were shooting at an higher professional level, then as the guys above have already stated, its a good capture but not for showing in you pro portfolio.

I personally like it very much. Timing and Framing etc ...you cant control backgrounds for this angle of shot ...Unless that is, you sat on the other side of the nets and then missed the shot completely because you were not in the right place at the right time, but you may have had a great background.

Back