Football photography what case?

Edit My Images
Yes
For football photography I have been told that I would need small seat of some sorts and or a case with wheels such as a "Peli" cases.Does anyone have a view on if it really is worth paying for a "Peli" case so as to have something to sit on or should a large shoulder bag and small seat do the job.I would only use 300mm f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8.Thanks.

I don't shoot football but I like my Peli for most sports where the action takes place in a relatively confined area (or has decent pathways to each location). I can stand on it for extra height. I can sit on it (at three different levels) and I know my kit is safe inside from pretty much everything including a small explosion.

I carry for footy a Large backpack with all my gear in, easier than wheeling about a Peli case for me personally and I know a few other guys on here that do the same, Also best to carry a small camping stool around with you which you can place on the side of a large backpack in the tripod hold, or if you go for the peli case option just carry it by hand

Depends on your budget. A decent backpack for the camera and a cheap camping stool ought to be OK for starters. I bought a peli case but mainly for transporting my camera stuff on the coach and other events. Peli cases are fine, but a bit useless when traipsing over gravel, mud etc.

I got the little stool today from class olsen £4.99.I will use it for other things as well.I am going to have a look at some backpacks as I am not using a 400mm f2.8 only a 300mm f2.8 it should not be to much to carry on my back.

A Think Tank Airport International (bodies, pocket wizards, lenses up to 70-200mm, card readers etc) , Think Tank Glass Taxi (400mm) and one of these plastic folding steps (in black) as a stool. The laptop and shade go in the front pocket of the Airport Intl.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-l...mAdOJfuUX8cQShfdqRl7DBlxK2Rm_yCbSUaAgea8P8HAQ

I do have a Peli 1510, currently configured for lighting kit - couldn't fit the gear for football and laptop inside.

Thanks for that meonshore.

I have been looking at the bags/cases mentioned and I have spoke to a football photographer today to try and get some advice.It's "what ever suits you"
This may seem a bit odd and unprofessional but what would actually be wrong with using one of those shopping trollies with a built in seat and the larger wheels (might be easier on grass). As long as it was padded out safely it could easy hold a 300mm with a body on and a 70-200 with a body attached,monopod and laptop.They cost £30.00 plus some sponge rubber? If it was only used for football would it be any sort of problem?

Thanks for that meonshore.

I have been looking at the bags/cases mentioned and I have spoke to a football photographer today to try and get some advice.It's "what ever suits you"
This may seem a bit odd and unprofessional but what would actually be wrong with using one of those shopping trollies with a built in seat and the larger wheels (might be easier on grass). As long as it was padded out safely it could easy hold a 300mm with a body on and a 70-200 with a body attached,monopod and laptop.They cost £30.00 plus some sponge rubber? If it was only used for football would it be any sort of problem?

It depends what level of football you are shooting at - there is rarely a need to pull a wheelie bag across lots of grass at most premiership or championship stadiums for example.

Personally I wouldn't use a shopping trolley. My kit is expensive, needs protection, and what I'm carrying it in needs to be insignificant in my concerns.

Turn up at a premier league ground with one, and you'd likely be the topic of "conversation" amongst the other photographers, at a park game / Sunday league most people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

There is a reason 90% of people use a Think Tank wheelie bag or Peli - and it isn't about fitting in. They work to transport and either sit on or rest your laptop on. I'm very much of the opinion you should buy once if you can afford to - otherwise you'll only end up buying twice.

If you have a sense of humour and don't mid everyone taking the pish then the shopping trolley will be fine. When you retire you can use it on the bus with your old age bus pass :exit:

I would like to get one of the Airport bags as mentioned as I have seen loads of people using them as they are light.

The Peli cases are heavy even before you put any gear in. I have a 1620 which is huge and I used to be able to get all my kit in but now I am struggling.

As mentioned they are rubbish for pulling across gravel such as it Sheff Weds or over grass.

The big plus is that they are really strong. If it is belting down with rain who cares, they are waterproof. Where possible I have mine in front of me with the laptop sitting on top as it easier to use. Just lean over and use.

There are other makes of case that are similar to the Peli cases but cheaper.

For a 2 body setup with a 70-200 and a 400 then a 1560 should be plenty big enough if you went that route.

What about the pro roller cases, ive got 2 of the Lowepro Pro roller series cases, theyre only used as storage nowadays but a great option which have bigger and better wheels than the Peli cases, ive owned the Peli 1610 case but it was painfully heavy when fuly loaded and rubbish over grass and gravel, the Lowepro rollers were excellent though

They look good Gary.

I need to see what the stadiums are like here. The 1620 was just too heavy for an old codger like me at Millwall and Orient. Got it up the stairs but bye eck what a struggle :runaway:

They look good Gary.

I need to see what the stadiums are like here. The 1620 was just too heavy for an old codger like me at Millwall and Orient. Got it up the stairs but bye eck what a struggle :runaway:
Exactly why i got rid of mine Rob, gonna sell my Lowepros when i get round to it, theyre just sat storing all sorts of rubbish

When you are using a camera and big tele on the monopod and you need to change to 70-200 quick does the Monopoded tele get put on the grass? Also I hate to ask this cause I fear I am not going to like the answer .On a percentage bases how many games does it rain at?

Swing monopod and big lens to your left so it sits on top or left knee and under right knee, when i shot Canon it was easier to just rest the monopod and big lens upright on left shoulder but thats because the tripod foot and mount is different between Canon and Nikon, the "sharp" ent of the canon foot points forwards but on Nikon it points backwards and digs into your shoulder if you just try rest it upright, hope it makes sense

Dont worry about rain, likelyhood is if youre shooting big teles and a 70-200 then youre being paid so will likely have pro weathersealed gear

When you are using a camera and big tele on the monopod and you need to change to 70-200 quick does the Monopoded tele get put on the grass? Also I hate to ask this cause I fear I am not going to like the answer .On a percentage bases how many games does it rain at?

Grass, gravel, tarmac etc.... but as Gary says you learn to find a shoulder or knee to rest on. Personally I'd rather it was on grass than grit.

I use the Nikon but have the Kirk replacement foot which is lower profile and forward facing. Less pain and height.

As for rain - more than you'd like. If you had been shooting football this year then it would have been most of them.

Swing monopod and big lens to your left so it sits on top or left knee and under right knee, when i shot Canon it was easier to just rest the monopod and big lens upright on left shoulder but thats because the tripod foot and mount is different between Canon and Nikon, the "sharp" ent of the canon foot points forwards but on Nikon it points backwards and digs into your shoulder if you just try rest it upright, hope it makes sense
I just had a go at that maneuver with the monopd under the leg it works great. I keep looking at that shopping trolly it just needs a bit of padding it should be alright for a match a Scunny or somewhere like that.Not too many Togs to laugh at me.LOL

Thanks Gary. I might just take the one bag with camera bag with the 70-200 and the cameras and then carry the 300mm over my shoulder in it's padded case.I don't want to spend £xxx when I might not carry on Togging Football. It does not pay great money,I am the wrong side of 50 and have to wonder how any Togs make money at it when your having to pay out £xxxx for equipment.It would take 3 seasons to be in profit!

I use a Peli 1510 with upgraded wheels (larger, softer) and the 400 goes in a Thinktank Glass Taxi rucksack. The Peli is heavy when empty, but nice and solid, and rainproof, plus you can sit on it either end-on or side on (though it's not very comfy). 3-legged camping stool for sitting pitchside - Walkstool make the best.

upgraded wheels ? tell me more ? :) I use a sac-truck .. but never ehard of upgraded wheels.. whats the score with that pleasE?

Peli did bring out a more rugged range with much bigger wheels last year sometime

Its their Multi Terrain range you need to look for

Last edited:
1610mbk_profile_high.1200_3508_940x629.jpg

Last edited:
cheers.. i'll stick to the sac truck methinks :)

I still have small stones grinding in my wheels from lugging it around the side at Hillsborough.

I still have small stones grinding in my wheels from lugging it around the side at Hillsborough.
Thats one of the reasons i binned off my Peli and bought a couple of Lowepro roller cases, bigger wheels, smoother running and a bit better ground clearance, they actually run on gravel unlike the Peli which literally has to be dragged.

Exactly why i got rid of mine Rob, gonna sell my Lowepros when i get round to it, theyre just sat storing all sorts of rubbish
give me first refusal will you fella?. Kind regards Graham.

They look good Gary.

I fell up the stairs at Orient with my peli after one night game lol

I got some replacement larger, softer wheels from another snapper who has a little sideline in such things. Tom Hevezi I think it was.

Jutss een this... sorry... one of my wheels has gone onm the peli.. gonna be about 20 quid to repalce so looking round for alternatives anyway .. gonna google this guy

There's nothing I like better then walking down a residential street after an evening match, pulling my Peli case with it's nice hard wheels over the p*** poor road and pavement surfaces, waking all the neighbours....

Did you get any contact details for this guy, Tony? I searched for Tom Hevezi, but couldn't find anything with an email address. I could do with him converting the wheels on my Peli 1610

No hes too far away to help me so didnt bother.. plus my new wheels are exact what i wanted so didnt need.

There's nothing I like better then walking down a residential street after an evening match, pulling my Peli case with it's nice hard wheels over the p*** poor road and pavement surfaces, waking all the neighbours....

the fix works perfect.. my wheels are quiet as a mouse and nowhere near as hard.. was easy to do as well..

But seriously... love making noise with the current wheels!

Its knocking out the calibration on my lens I worry about... rough ride on rock hard wheels...

Back