iron
Edit My Images
Yes
hello,

i have just got my conference licence to photograph in the conference league,
i have been photographing in the kent league so this is a big step up,
all i want to know is where do i sell mmy photos to,
at the moment i send photos's to a local paper and don't get paid for them,
but as i am moving up a four league league's i want to make some money from my work,
i will be based in kent so any help i will be so gratful,

if anyone know's any paper's that buy non league photos please could you help,

kind regards iron

hello,

but as i am moving up a four league league's i want to make some money from my work,

kind regards iron

Its the age old issue. You have been providing a paper with shots FOC, this sets a president, they don't expect to pay for photos you take now.

Your not the first one and it is of course a chicken and egg situation. However you are very unlikely to get anyone giving away their customers/clients on an open forum, especially to someone that has provided FOC imagery to a paper (if you search you will find its a big bug bear of some on here)

Because of FOC images there are less and less paying local papers, so we have to work very hard to find anyone that pays. I recommend you get calling and sending out portfolios and try to find customers that way.

Best of luck.

First i would get in touch wiht the non-league paper and put yourself foward for commisions. They dont accept pictures sent in on spec.. they will commision togs to go to games if you can show a decent portfolio

Second.. You need to choose a match then contact the local papers for each team and ask them if they will buy any pictures..

There isnt a paper... theres lots of papers.. some will pay and some wont.. depends who is playing...

HTH :)

hello,

kind regards iron

Really if you have applied for a license you should already know your target market?

The main outlet is going to be the Non League Paper, other than that maybe the regional papers will take some but more likely to fob you off with "we don't have any money, but will give you a credit". Obviously the clubs will also be interested, after that there are picture sales to players of the clubs, in fact there are two sports photographers i know who use print sales as an additional source of income. One of them posts on here regularly ;)

The Football Conference also appear to use images on their website but i'm not sure who supplies them.

Interestingly i am about to apply for my Conference License, i would be interested to know how tricky you found the process :)

Cheers

Andy

First i would get in touch wiht the non-league paper and put yourself foward for commisions. They dont accept pictures sent in on spec.. they will commision togs to go to games if you can show a decent portfolio

Second.. You need to choose a match then contact the local papers for each team and ask them if they will buy any pictures..

There isnt a paper... theres lots of papers.. some will pay and some wont.. depends who is playing...

HTH :)

Snap :D

Interestingly i am about to apply for my Conference License, i would be interested to know how tricky you found the process :)

Cheers

Andy

Really easy and takes about 15mins to fill in the forms. You will need proof of PL but once you have everything, email back the forms and proof of PL and they'll issue you a licence number subject to receiving the signed original forms.

Conference League issue commissions about Tues of each week so its worth phoning them about then. If you have a few teams in your area then you could get a commission every week.

Once you know what games you'll be covering contact the local papers and ask if they'll be interested in receiving pics from the game. Some may offer payment per image and some a set fee. Stick by your guns and dont offer anything further for free.

Conference League issue commissions about Tues of each week so its worth phoning them about then. If you have a few teams in your area then you could get a commission every week. .

We know you mean the Non league paper :)

thank you for all your help,

i would like to earn some money out of doing football photography even just a small amount,
does anyone know how much the non league paper pays for photos,

rover's andy,
the paper work 10 mins to fill in,
you need 2 mill insurance that cost 60 pounds,
and i sent the paper work of on the monday by the friday i had the licence,

thanks again for all your help,
anymore help will be great,

regards iron

does anyone know how much the non league paper pays for photos,

£50 per match. Only interested in saturday football and nothing midweek... You ahve to send the pics as soon as the game is finished so will need laptop and internet access.. As mentioned... they have to send you to the game so he will need to see you are capable first :)

Bit more than that (y)

Up to end of last season it was.. they paying more this? or have you always got more... intrigued now.. I ahvent done owt for them this season BTW

50 pounds i would be very happy with that,

my goal is to get to the prem league but one step at a time,
i have never sold a photo so that's my first goal,

so the idea is to contact the non league paper and ask them to send me to a game,

iron

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ironmaiden1/5359795611/

this is a photo i took on saturday does it look ok

Passable if its a goal but otherwise no.. You have three players and all showing the backs of them.. also taken from what looks like a standing position..

You will need to show some decent pics to the non league paper.. they wont give you any work without knowing you can do it.. have you got a portfolio or somehting you can show them other than that?

£50 per match. Only interested in saturday football and nothing midweek... You ahve to send the pics as soon as the game is finished so will need laptop and internet access.. As mentioned... they have to send you to the game so he will need to see you are capable first :)

Hi. Reading this with mild interest. I'm a bit of a numpty with mobile phones so not even sure exactly what would be needed for this sort of 'live' sending of images. Can you give an example of your set up?

I'm struggling to do the arithmetic to work out at what point you actually might begin to make any money at this, based on £50 a game, taking into account the cost of the laptop (£1500 for me - that is) some sort of mobile phone and contract (for which I currently just pay £18/mth) and deducting petrol costs and tax/ni.

My current workflow is raw, download, convert, crop, de-noise etc then submit to the club/paper usually on Sunday nite for a Saturday game to satisfy the Tuesday deadline for the paper. I'd have to change that to shoot jpg and on top of that sit in a cold car b*ggering around with stuff in the cold. Is it actually worth the effort? I was toying with the idea of approaching the NLP but really, what is the incentive?

Last edited:
Hi. Reading this with mild interest. I'm a bit of a numpty with mobile phones so not even sure exactly what would be needed for this sort of 'live' sending of images. Can you give an example of your set up?

I ahve a dell laptop.. any laptop will do.. mines a 1k spec and very robust.. I only use it for outdoor work and have a desktop at home.. I ahve a three.dongle for connecting to the internet and sending pictures..

I'm struggling to do the arithmetic to work out at what point you actually might begin to make any money at this,

If you notice I also put I ahvent done any work for them this yr and I dont see anyone anywhere saying your going to come out in profit at 50 quid a match.. I know I couldn't... But adding the league paper onto an existing job is an extra 50+ quid to any commisions I alrady have

I'd have to change that to shoot jpg and on top of that sit in a cold car b*ggering around with stuff in the cold.

In the car? thats posh.. we sit pitchside.. i send at half time and full time.. i suppose you could make it back to car.. but i like to be onsite in case maybe i cant see the number on a players shirt i can ask someone.... you simply must get names spot on :)

Is it actually worth the effort? I was toying with the idea of approaching the NLP but really, what is the incentive?

If your already doing them anyways then its 50 + quid just to email and extra half dozen to them... easy money.... if its the difference between stopping in watching telly and going to a game for 50 quid then not..

how do you all get treated at non league grounds? Presumably the licence entitles you to free entry and access to a committee room of some sort? Are people generally helpful or are you seen as a pain?

The laptop I use is a 4yr old Dell and looks it too! 3 Dongle at £7.50 pm or if available the stadium wifi. Shooting football is only part of my job as I cover many other sports plus non sports events.

how do you all get treated at non league grounds? Presumably the licence entitles you to free entry and access to a committee room of some sort? Are people generally helpful or are you seen as a pain?

you get free entry but thats it.. nothing else extra (normally.. sure some clever git will ahve a diff story)... and usually your welcomed as all publicity is good publicity when your non league..

The laptop I use is a 4yr old Dell and looks it too! 3 Dongle at £7.50 pm or if available the stadium wifi. Shooting football is only part of my job as I cover many other sports plus non sports events.

even when stadium wifi available i still use my dongle as dont trust em going otherwise.... it costs me a tenner a month on PAYG is yours contract at 7.50?

paying for your own burgers then!!!

yup :)

some conference sides will treat you to a brew and butty maybe.. but its not the norm.. certainly below conference level ya dont get free unless your a regular and you know someone who is well up the cuppa ladder :)

even when stadium wifi available i still use my dongle as dont trust em going otherwise.... it costs me a tenner a month on PAYG is yours contract at 7.50?

Yep, use to have Vodaphone but fairly usless at Prem grounds at final whistle as everyone and their dog is on a mobile. Use to pay £15 pm and they even offered me £7.50 to stay but still cancelled my contract as I just didnt use it due to all the stadiums having their own wifi. Only when I got my Conference licence did I need it again although when I do Grimsby I actually have time to get home, edit and send while the missus is cooking my steak (y)

I ahve a dell laptop.. any laptop will do.. mines a 1k spec and very robust.. I only use it for outdoor work and have a desktop at home.. I ahve a three.dongle for connecting to the internet and sending pictures..

If you notice I also put I ahvent done any work for them this yr and I dont see anyone anywhere saying your going to come out in profit at 50 quid a match.. I know I couldn't... But adding the league paper onto an existing job is an extra 50+ quid to any commisions I alrady have

I hear what you're saying - irregular IF you're lucky. I've seen chaps with their lappies at some matches. How many pics are normally required? Do you have to FTP them or something else? Do you add match info to the file info of the image or do you send an email with the captions?

Thanks for enlightening me!

In the car? thats posh.. we sit pitchside.. i send at half time and full time.. i suppose you could make it back to car.. but i like to be onsite in case maybe i cant see the number on a players shirt i can ask someone.... you simply must get names spot on :)

If your already doing them anyways then its 50 + quid just to email and extra half dozen to them... easy money.... if its the difference between stopping in watching telly and going to a game for 50 quid then not..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying - irregular IF you're lucky. I've seen chaps with their lappies at some matches. How many pics are normally required? Do you have to FTP them or something else? Do you add match info to the file info of the image or do you send an email with the captions?

for the league paper you can include all the info in the email.. filename followed by whats happening in the picture and the names of the players in the picture... remebering that the people at the paper have no clue who is who or what is happening so you ahve to be descriptive for each picture.. around 6-9 pics is the norm for NLP

the guys with laptops are probably sending to newspapers.. the info for them has to be included in the exif for each pic and not the email... you send as many as you can....

for the league paper you can include all the info in the email.. filename followed by whats happening in the picture and the names of the players in the picture... remebering that the people at the paper have no clue who is who or what is happening so you ahve to be descriptive for each picture.. around 6-9 pics is the norm for NLP

the guys with laptops are probably sending to newspapers.. the info for them has to be included in the exif for each pic and not the email... you send as many as you can....

Cheers, Tony. I can see the advantage of being pitchside to do this, but I would just dread shivering over my lappie. BTW I found a way to get round your problem of not being able to see the keyboard - buy a Macbookpro, its got an illuminated keybard.:)

Cheers, Tony. I can see the advantage of being pitchside to do this, but I would just dread shivering over my lappie. BTW I found a way to get round your problem of not being able to see the keyboard - buy a Macbookpro, its got an illuminated keybard.:)

lappy in rain ...still got to be used:(

macbook pro have a major fault though...

same fault nikon has.... oh and man utd :)

Er, well, there is that. But when the rest of your life is mac. At least I'd be the best accessorised snapper ... ;)

i photograph at herne bay fc,
i am there every week all home and away games,
i give the club photos for there website and don't even get a cup of tea

i photograph at herne bay fc,
i am there every week all home and away games,
i give the club photos for there website and don't even get a cup of tea

You must miss a lot of action if your there for the away games as well :)

Most people do what your doing for the club at that level and even higher.. providing a small non league club with pics for free..Been there done that.... Cup of tea in winter would be nice though...have a word :)

i have never sold a photo,
i love to even 50 pounds,
you never know where it might lead to,

Back