football photography

You must miss a lot of action if your there for the away games as well :)

Most people do what your doing for the club at that level and even higher.. providing a small non league club with pics for free..Been there done that.... Cup of tea in winter would be nice though...have a word :)

Since I've been elevated to the status of one of the 'club photographers' I've been included in the elite bunch who sup tea in plastic cups down the tunnel in the half time. Chat up some of the relevant club people, would be nice if they included you :)

i photograph at herne bay fc,
i am there every week all home and away games,
i give the club photos for there website and don't even get a cup of tea

Exactly the same as I do week in, week out for my local rugby club - well ok, my husband plays so that's why :LOL:

Cup of tea? I'd prefer a pint ;) I would say I don't get anything but I did, I got two RFU Valued Volunteer Awards and got made a Vice President of the club for services to them (have raised money for the club by selling the photos) - keep at it

Oh and the football club, well they buy me a pint after the game when we get back to the pub :D

Since I've been elevated to the status of one of the 'club photographers' I've been included in the elite bunch who sup tea in plastic cups down the tunnel in the half time. Chat up some of the relevant club people, would be nice if they included you :)

Wait til you come to Vigo then :LOL: We might even let you sit in the clubhouse at half time ;)

Sport wise I currently shoot under 13's rugby. I must be lucky as I'm usually bought a coffee, sometime a bacon butty. We take turns on the pints though.

Much better than Sunday morning football ever was.

herne bay v whitney bay this saturday,
it's fa vase 4th round,
as i said i give photo's to club for free,
but i have just been told i have to pay to get in this weekend,

it's fa vase 4th round,

do the stewards have to pay to get in, what about the people running the bar?

your providing a service, why should you pay to get in? they are taking the pee.

do the stewards have to pay to get in, what about the people running the bar?

your providing a service, why should you pay to get in? they are taking the pee.

agreed!!!!!

On league games i have a pass,
but i got told that because it's a cup game i have to pay,

i can't beleave it,
give photos to a club for free,
and get told i have to pay to get in,

i went to cray wanderers fc a couple of weeks back
and did not have to pay to get in there as i said i will give them photos
and they are in the ryman prem league,

I take photos for my local SPL team,who use them for their website and program.I don't get paid but get my coffee and pie at half time.I get plenty of comp tickets for matches, but that is not much use to me.I get to the annual dinners for free,and free drink(i make the most of it!!!!)
I used to take shots for the local Paisley paper until they stopped paying, used the excuse of budget cuts.Now they use stock photos after an away game, it is a laugh picking holes in their choice,some times you see a different coloured sock in the back ground or recognise the back ground as a home game.A couple of locals have complained but they just tell them that the photographer was ill.

it's fa vase 4th round,

No, really? contactthe club secretary and press your case

what makes me angry is that i email maybe 20-30 photos through to the secretary,
but he don't even send an email back and say thank you,

people have told me i am made taking photo's there for free and never even getting a thanks or even a tea,
but i am only doing it to better my photography,
there other club's out there in one league above herne bay in the ryman south league that do not have a photographer i have been close to moving clubs,
but i don't want to let anyone down,
i must be crazy

If this club is treating you unfairly, then if it was me I would have no regrets about moving to another club who would appreciate the free photographs.
But you need to do what is best for you and not whats best for Herne Bay FC.

No, really? contactthe club secretary and press your case

Definitely - you're giving them a service, without you they'd have nothing.

If this club is treating you unfairly, then if it was me I would have no regrets about moving to another club who would appreciate the free photographs.
But you need to do what is best for you and not whats best for Herne Bay FC.

Again. I agree with this. This is not about the club, this is about you furthering your career.

what makes me angry is that i email maybe 20-30 photos through to the secretary,
but he don't even send an email back and say thank you,

people have told me i am made taking photo's there for free and never even getting a thanks or even a tea,
but i am only doing it to better my photography,
there other club's out there in one league above herne bay in the ryman south league that do not have a photographer i have been close to moving clubs,
but i don't want to let anyone down,
i must be crazy

Tell them (respectfully) to stick it where the sun don't shine :) they are taking you for a mug, harsh i know but if you don't put your foot down then its pointless having that shiney new conference license.

Start covering some commissions for the NLP then show the club your cuttings........

I take photos for my local SPL team,who use them for their website and program.I don't get paid but get my coffee and pie at half time.I get plenty of comp tickets for matches, but that is not much use to me.I get to the annual dinners for free,and free drink(i make the most of it!!!!)
I used to take shots for the local Paisley paper until they stopped paying, used the excuse of budget cuts.Now they use stock photos after an away game, it is a laugh picking holes in their choice,some times you see a different coloured sock in the back ground or recognise the back ground as a home game.A couple of locals have complained but they just tell them that the photographer was ill.

:(

I know football isn't as big business as in England but sort it out!

Do you think the girl on the front desk is doing it for free, or the match stewards, or cleaner, or spotty kid giving you your pie and pint?

If the club want YOUR shots i am sure they will find a budget for the images, you could quite easily offer them a package for the full seasons home games.

Explain the situation to them, you are providing a service for them. Its the same as everyone else the WORKS for the club on a matchday or during the week. Would you clean the toilets after a match for free?

Again apologies for coming across as blunt, hopefully not rude. If you don't ask you don't get. It all depends what you are prepared to accept.

If the club still refuse to pay, why not approach SNS or similar?

Tell them (respectfully) to stick it where the sun don't shine :) they are taking you for a mug, harsh i know but if you don't put your foot down then its pointless having that shiney new conference license.

Start covering some commissions for the NLP then show the club your cuttings........

Can only agree with Andy here, theyre mugging you mate and see you as a young kid who they can take the mick out of, move on.

Actually point the secretary to this topic, it will shake him up

TBH after viewing his images on flikr I would have to say they are not of a saleable standard. If these are the best you have or even an average standard then you have a lot to learn and improve on.

Sorry but I'm only telling it as I see it, Plenty on here have had the same comments and have taken them on board and improved no end. Stop feeling sorry about the way you are being treated by the club and look, listen, learn and practice, practice, practice. Stay where you are until the end of the season. Keep posting images and listen (y)

For those who were asking about how to email stuff via a laptop.

I agree that it is worthwhile having a few dongles on PAYG.

However if you have a Blackberry for example and you get the web with it, then if you install the latest version of BB Desktop manager it is so easy to connect to the web.

All you need to do is choose who you are with e.g. Vodafone and if you're on a monthly contract. It then puts the settings in for you.

Click connect and hey presto you're ready to browse the web and send your emails.

It may be in the T&Cs that you're not allowed to thether your phone to your laptop (which this is) but trust me they "ain't goona know".

You can do the same with most Android phones as well.

You can connect the BB or Android phone to your laptop with a USB cale or via Bluetooth (in which case no cable).

Simples....:clap:

TBH after viewing his images on flikr I would have to say they are not of a saleable standard. If these are the best you have or even an average standard then you have a lot to learn and improve on.

Sorry but I'm only telling it as I see it, Plenty on here have had the same comments and have taken them on board and improved no end. Stop feeling sorry about the way you are being treated by the club and look, listen, learn and practice, practice, practice. Stay where you are until the end of the season. Keep posting images and listen (y)

Good advice here :)

andy and everyone great advice,
was not harsh,
just very good advice,

graham,
i know my photos are not good enough yet,
that's why i am here to learn from you pro's,

i have had some amazing advice and already had so much response,
i can't thank you enough for all what you have said,

Back