Football presentation

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
No
Morning all!

I have been asked by a local side if I could provide photography at their presentation evening.(I haven't done one before)
I was thinking of using my 70-200 so I don't get in the way set up on a tripod with an external flash.
Do you think this set up would work?

If not am I looking for more of a 85mm type lens?

Thanks

Of course it COULD work ..
But you are being way to vague to help.

It will be indoors in a local hall so I imagine the lighting will be poor.... was thinking an external flash? But will this work with a 70-200 f2.8

They're after individual pictures of each person getting a trophy aswell as general ones of the evening

It sounds fairly informal. From previous experience of a similar type event I would highly suggest going for something like the 24-70mm. What I've found is that 'general photos' tends to mean 'group photos'. If the venue is small and there isn't a great deal of space you won't want to be too distant from people when taking shots or you'll have to wait for people to get out of the shot etc.

It sounds fairly informal. From previous experience of a similar type event I would highly suggest going for something like the 24-70mm. What I've found is that 'general photos' tends to mean 'group photos'. If the venue is small and there isn't a great deal of space you won't want to be too distant from people when taking shots or you'll have to wait for people to get out of the shot etc.

Thanks Fhoneill,

With an external flash do you think??

Regards
Liam Wratten

Thanks for roping me in @juggler :D

Do you have anything other than the 70-200 Liam? I certainly wouldn't bother with an 85mm. You've already got that focal length in your 70-200 which will also give you much more flexibility.

You'd be better off with something like a 24-70, flash on camera, and bouncing it off the ceiling.

Pretty much as above mate. Mount a flash gun to the top of the camera and look to bounce it off the ceiling if possible. The alternative would be something like Gary Fong lightsphere etc to diffuse the flash a bit.

You definitely want to be in the 24-70 range if possible though. You'll be surprised at how wide you find yourself wanting to get.

I've done a few of these and I'd definitely go with the 24-70 (or equivalent) with camera mounted flash bounced. I'd forget about a tripod as well, would only restrict you. In my experience, if they're after photos of awards being presented, people will change positions each time and you don't want to be repositioning a tripod every time the angle changes.

Thanks for roping me in @juggler :D

Do you have anything other than the 70-200 Liam? I certainly wouldn't bother with an 85mm. You've already got that focal length in your 70-200 which will also give you much more flexibility.

You'd be better off with something like a 24-70, flash on camera, and bouncing it off the ceiling.

Hi UaeExile!

All my lenses are 70+ except a standard kit lens that I have which is 18-55mm? any good?
I looked at an external flash and a diffuser?

I've done a few of these and I'd definitely go with the 24-70 (or equivalent) with camera mounted flash bounced. I'd forget about a tripod as well, would only restrict you. In my experience, if they're after photos of awards being presented, people will change positions each time and you don't want to be repositioning a tripod every time the angle changes.

Good point with the tripod! Didn't think of that!!!!

Hi UaeExile!

All my lenses are 70+ except a standard kit lens that I have which is 18-55mm? any good?
I looked at an external flash and a diffuser?
What do you mean by "external flash"? Do you mean you're planning on using it off camera... Or do you just mean a hotshoe mounted flash (that you put on top of your camera).

Assuming you're in a normal sized room with a white/light ceiling, I'd forget the diffuser and bounce your flash off the ceiling.

What do you mean by "external flash"? Do you mean you're planning on using it off camera... Or do you just mean a hotshoe mounted flash (that you put on top of your camera).

Assuming you're in a normal sized room with a white/light ceiling, I'd forget the diffuser and bounce your flash off the ceiling.
Was looking at a speed flash ( no experience with flash sorry!!)
Think that would be a hotshoe mounted flash... oh so no diffuser?? How about the 18-55??

Was looking at a speed flash ( no experience with flash sorry!!)
Think that would be a hotshoe mounted flash... oh so no diffuser?? How about the 18-55??

If you're bouncing light (off a ceiling) I wouldn't bother with a diffuser. I use a diffuser about 50% of the time because I do a lot of outdoor events where there are no ceilings. But my strong preference is to bounce if I can.

Yeah, the speed light your talking about will mount on your hotshoe - you had me stumped with the word "external". Just make sure you get one that has TTL (basically auto) - the Yongnuos are pretty reasonable.

Difficult to say with the 18-55 as I've never used one. Assuming the flash is doing all of the hard work lighting wise it should be fine.

If you're bouncing light (off a ceiling) I wouldn't bother with a diffuser. I use a diffuser about 50% of the time because I do a lot of outdoor events where there are no ceilings. But my strong preference is to bounce if I can.

Yeah, the speed light your talking about will mount on your hotshoe - you had me stumped with the word "external". Just make sure you get one that has TTL (basically auto) - the Yongnuos are pretty reasonable.

Difficult to say with the 18-55 as I've never used one. Assuming the flash is doing all of the hard work lighting wise it should be fine.

Ah I see!! I was looking at the neewer one... will have to check it has TTL thanks for that heads up! Will also check out yongnuos!

Back