FOOTBALL togs, how many shots do you send each game.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering on average how many shots you send each game and does it differ depending on Commission/At Risk

I usually send around 20 when shooting on spec but for commissions its nearer to 30.

On spec i generally send anywhere between 30-40 images and around 20-25 for a commission job.

I think it also depends on the amount of action/goals in the game.

I send 20-30 to the club, for the first team games.
Generally 8-12 for the youth games.

On spec i generally send anywhere between 30-40 images and around 20-25 for a commission job.

I think it also depends on the amount of action/goals in the game.

Yup obviously if its a goal fest and you get plenty of decent action it brings the average up. 15-20 is based on a low scoring game, or being at the wrong end (fairly normal at PNE :LOL:)

Do you also send frames of bursts of action? for goals and really good periods of action i'll send consecutive frames. Maybe i need to get to better games :thinking:

I dont normally send sequences or action, maybe 2 similar frames if i really cant decide which ones best. I will send a few consecutive frames for Cele's

I also send a few manager shots from before the game and a couple of them looking animated on the touchline.

Although I take them, I dont normally send any 'stock' shots as the agency doesn't really have a need for them.

I dont normally send sequences or action, maybe 2 similar frames if i really cant decide which ones best. I will send a few consecutive frames for Cele's

I also send a few manager shots from before the game and a couple of them looking animated on the touchline.

Although I take them, I dont normally send any 'stock' shots as the agency doesn't really have a need for them.

Fairly similar to me then, only time i send lots of multiple frames is for Goals/Celes or send a few different crops of the same shot.

Funnily enough the agency i shoot for don't have much use for stock ;)

hate sequences.. pic the best frame and use ... I send 20-30 to papers.. but agency.. depends.. if nothing happening then hardly worth sending is it :(

Some jobs only ask for a few. I am doing a match next week they only want 2 pics.. I said i will send half a dozen or so and they can choose..

When you crop images, do you crop to a certain ratio, or to what is best for the image?

If no guidelines from whoever is paying you or your just sending to papers on spec then crop rubish out from sides but dont crop too much... papers like some bleed to print over and like to recrop themselves.. In fact sometimes they choose a picture purely for its shape rather than subject or quality.. seriously if they have the page all set and are just waiting for a pic at the end of a game then its shape most important..

I didn't think about leaving space for text. :shrug:

How detailed are the instructions people get before the matches as to what they need to get?

I would imagine obviously goal action, and any incidents, but do people get jobs to say follow a certain player who may be in the news and maybe not worry so much about anything else?

I would imagine there may have been a lot of cameras trained on Fabio last Wednesday. ;)

What is the most unusual instructions anyone has got?

no instructions here... might get a heads up saying such and such is there .. if your reffering to my post i said guidelines... ie size of file etc

I send about 6-8 pitchside from the Championship games, about 10-15 from Super League games then anything between 50-100 direct to the agency the day after.

My crop advice for papers is always 7x5@300ppi

Some of the guys i know who work the local and regional papers opnly attend a game for 5-10 minutes, they get paid per picture published so only send in 2, why send more than im being paid for is what they say.

Some of the guys i know who work the local and regional papers opnly attend a game for 5-10 minutes, they get paid per picture published so only send in 2, why send more than im being paid for is what they say.

I see that a lot.. dont know how many there sending in but the 10 minutes per game.... they havent time to stop... next up kids party to photogrpah.. then a quick snap of a bride.. then the mayor opening somehitng.. then cricket then somehting else..

Glad I am freelance and not a staffer :)

I usually send about 20-30 live pics then after the game I go through for stock which can end with anything upto 60-70

This seems to be the norm, we don't send stock as the Agency doesn't bother with it

This seems to be the norm, we don't send stock as the Agency doesn't bother with it

Start or Pre season I am asked for stock.. or new players during season... But thats for local papers not agencies... A certain Rugby agency some of us work for (Hi Gary! :) ) likes stock ...

Actually I've sent stock shots live and had good usages especially if that person got man of the match. I remember getting £110 for a simple stock shot of Cesc Fabregas which I sent live. If I'm shooting fairly local then I try to send as many of these as I can so they have a chance for the Sunday's and if to late then hopefully Monday's.(y)

Ha! Funny that!!

Would be interesting to see what some of the other guys working for the bigger agencies do. :wave:

Huh what?! Who me?!

I sent 42 yesterday from Swansea v Preston and that was with 4 goals at the other end to me.

12 action shots.
17 stock shots (including manager shots).
13 commerical shots.

I agree with Graham about stock images...I found (with the same agency as Graham) that often those images get usage when the player does something of not, especially if no-one gets a shot of the incident in question. Tidy earners.

if im shooting a commission, i only send what i want to see printed ie action shots and cele's/goals to a minimum.
Anything else is usually cele's, as go down well with the papers.

Huh what?! Who me?!

I sent 42 yesterday from Swansea v Preston and that was with 4 goals at the other end to me.

12 action shots.
17 stock shots (including manager shots).
13 commerical shots.

I agree with Graham about stock images...I found (with the same agency as Graham) that often those images get usage when the player does something of not, especially if no-one gets a shot of the incident in question. Tidy earners.

I think this is something i should start doing then, especially as it will be good practice for approaching the bigger agencies later in the season.

Commission yesterday plus sending to the nationals, sent 24 to the nationals and 52 for the commission, plenty of action even though it was only 0:1 to Norwich.

I sent 25 (celes, managers and a few new players for stock) from Chelsea yesterday, not a great game, lots of goals but nothing stand out as celes went over to the other side where the club/getty guys go.

No shows in the papers today though, might have to drop down the leagues as competing against AP/Getty/Action Images and 40 other togs makes life hard.

I sent 25 (celes, managers and a few new players for stock) from Chelsea yesterday, not a great game, lots of goals but nothing stand out as celes went over to the other side where the club/getty guys go.

No shows in the papers today though, might have to drop down the leagues as competing against AP/Getty/Action Images and 40 other togs makes life hard.

i wouldnt mind shooting at chelsea regardless of usage!!

I'll usually send roughly 20-25(uncropped) images to the programme editor.
5-10 Pics to the local paper.
any other sides programmes i'll send 5 roughly
National papers varies depending on the game, any interesting incidents, people in crowd etc.

Back