Footwear for landscapes in water?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
A few times lately I've missed what I think would be a better shot because I didn't have suitable footwear for in water.

Once was at a stream with small waterfalls, the water was only about a foot deep, the other time was by the sea. I wanted a shot where the tide meets the shore, but waves were coming in (and it was cold lol). I usually wear walking boots and don't like the idea of walking in them if water gets in the top. So I'm looking for a good solution.

First I thought of waders, but I don't think these would be ideal because I'd have to carry them. Besides, I doubt I'd walk into 3ft deep water with my camera :)

Then I thought wellies - not ideal for walking usually, so again I'd probably have to carry them. Then muck boots, but these are quite heavy and I think would get to hot most of the year?

So now I'm wondering about surf shoes? Nice and light to carry, would keep my feet warm (ish) and well soled ones are available that are grippy and protective from sharp rocks. I usually wear outdoor trousers that convert to shorts so figure I could unzip the bottoms then slip the surf boots on.

Before I decide I wondered what others here use or would suggest?

Bare feet all the way. I have no problem with shedding the shoes and getting stuck in.
I'd have thought that those surf shoes would be the best option of the ones you listed. Water isn't that cold here, and they would be the most portable, and practical solution. Just take a towel to dry off afterwards

I use some short hiking boots with very soft souls and
hard plastic spikes that are made for that purpose. I got
them in Iceland in a sport shop. I would not venture on
slippery, slimy rock beds with gear without these.

Put plastic bags over your boots and secure them round your legs with rubber bands.:D

A few times lately I've missed what I think would be a better shot because I didn't have suitable footwear for in water.

Once was at a stream with small waterfalls, the water was only about a foot deep, the other time was by the sea. I wanted a shot where the tide meets the shore, but waves were coming in (and it was cold lol). I usually wear walking boots and don't like the idea of walking in them if water gets in the top. So I'm looking for a good solution.

First I thought of waders, but I don't think these would be ideal because I'd have to carry them. Besides, I doubt I'd walk into 3ft deep water with my camera :)

Then I thought wellies - not ideal for walking usually, so again I'd probably have to carry them. Then muck boots, but these are quite heavy and I think would get to hot most of the year?

So now I'm wondering about surf shoes? Nice and light to carry, would keep my feet warm (ish) and well soled ones are available that are grippy and protective from sharp rocks. I usually wear outdoor trousers that convert to shorts so figure I could unzip the bottoms then slip the surf boots on.

Before I decide I wondered what others here use or would suggest?

Jelly shoes of the sort used to protect feet against sea urchins on Greek beaches?

or do what I do.. wear wellies and then go in so deep that they fill up anyway.

Have a look at neoprene scuba dive
boots rather than surf boots. Surf boots
tend to have pretty thin flexible soles
so you can still get the feel of the board.

My dive boots are still flexible and comfortable to walk in but they offer a bit more protection on the sole of your foot
than my surf boots do.

Ps thanks for the idea can't believe I've
never thought of this!!

Bare feet all the way. I have no problem with shedding the shoes and getting stuck in.
I'd have thought that those surf shoes would be the best option of the ones you listed. Water isn't that cold here, and they would be the most portable, and practical solution. Just take a towel to dry off afterwards

TBF you normally end up in the water anyway so taking your shoes off beforehand doesn't really make any difference to you. Or we just end up absolutely soaked anyway.

Have a look at neoprene scuba dive
boots rather than surf boots. Surf boots
tend to have pretty thin flexible soles
so you can still get the feel of the board.

My dive boots are still flexible and comfortable to walk in but they offer a bit more protection on the sole of your foot
than my surf boots do.

Ps thanks for the idea can't believe I've
never thought of this!!

I think (for me) this is the way to go.

My slight reservation with surf shoes was the thin sole (at least thin on the ones I already have) - don't want to stand on something sharp and drop my camera :)

Hadn't thought of scuba boots - think these could be perfect for most of the year, maybe with some muck boots for the winter which I would also walk in.

Thanks all. Love this forum sometimes :)

Unless you are walking miles 'good' wellies shouldn't be that impractical unless it's really hot.

If I'm photographing at the beach or waterfalls or anything else water related then its wellies all the way. I dont mind walking in them as I'm normally looking to get in the water and don't want to worry about about wet feet etc.

Neoprene chest waders for fishing...not sure if they'd be practical for photography though.
On a serious note. Anyone thinking of going barefoot into the sea, please think again. There have been a lot more weever fish found in shallow water than usual. If you step on one, you'll regret it ! The pain from the venom has been known to make grown men cry. Always wear something with a decent sole, like crocs or similar.

Neoprene chest waders for fishing...not sure if they'd be practical for photography though.

I've used mine for sitting in a pond to photograph toads at toad level and for wading in the sea to photograph kite surfers. (y)

Not great for walking long distances in though!

Breathable chesties might be a lighter (more expensive) option for photography when it's warm.

Muckboots for when I know I'll be paddling with a camera, otherwise waterproof boots designed for shooters - which are higher than yer average walking boot, and can be found (at a price) with a gusseted tongue making them waterproof above ankle level.

On a serious note. Anyone thinking of going barefoot into the sea, please think again. There have been a lot more weever fish found in shallow water than usual. If you step on one, you'll regret it ! The pain from the venom has been known to make grown men cry. Always wear something with a decent sole, like crocs or similar.

My friends were laughing at me for wearing
surf boots on a beautiful day in Cornwall due to my fear of weever fish. 2 days into our trip
one of them stood on one I can confirm from
his reaction they really can make a grown man cry (and swear a lot)!!!

Have you considered waist waders? A number of types
Boot foot a welly with a lightweight nylon top making them light and they do not make you sweat like neoprene.
They are also available in breathable material.

Stocking footed breathable legs with neoprene foot, you wear them with walking style boots and neoprene gravel guards. The advantage being you can carry the uppers in a backpack to your site. The boots are well waxed for total immersion. Neoprene socks keep your feet dry on the way back. Hope this helps.
Big advantage is you can kneel in the water for low shots and stay dry.

Last edited:

I can confirm that weever fish venom hurts like hell

Muckboots for when I know I'll be paddling with a camera, otherwise waterproof boots designed for shooters - which are higher than yer average walking boot, and can be found (at a price) with a gusseted tongue making them waterproof above ankle level.

Or the slightly cheaper option of Army Surplus boots, i picked up a pair of unworn old stock boots for about £25 with gusseted tongue, only problem is i usually forget to tuck my jeans into them so end up with soggy jeans anyway :p

I use a pair of Seal Skinz waterproof socks, carry light in the bag in case I need them.
In the event that I use them, just empty the excess water out of my boots when I'm done then carry on. Feet stay dry and boots dry out over the remainder of the walk.

If you don't have to walk too far (and only you can decide what is "too far") then wellies. Alternatively take a towel and sandals; there are plenty in outdoor shops that won't absorb water and have decent soles. The only drawback to sandals is standing in water, even in the UK, can get cold.

Dave

Crocs all the way as they dry quicker,even gel shoes hold water and if you have then anywhere near your camera bag. I can also confirm the weever fish sting, ut happened to me twice. I'm told its more often on low tided they are found,and the tend to follow the hot sand as the tide comes in. But having to put your foot in very hot water to kill the venom,is no joke either.

Back