For all you mechanics out there

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
My wifes VW Passat (2002) has started to squeal occasionally for no reason.... thought fan belt but then I have noticed that when the squeal appears, which is random, the noise decreases when I press the clutch in but as soon as I release it the noise starts again....then after a period of time, anything from a few seconds to a few minutes, the squeal just stops. It could be days/week before it reappears or it could start before I even get to the end of the road........:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:Any ideas :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Clutch release bearing?

can still be fan belt, the slight release of stress on engine by disengaging clutch can do enough to stop the squeal. Alternatively, release clutch bearing is also possible...and basically anything else that spins, has bearings, etc.... much more difficult to have a listen/check when its so random and your description sounds like it doesn't do it just on tick over?

can still be fan belt, the slight release of stress on engine by disengaging clutch can do enough to stop the squeal. Alternatively, release clutch bearing is also possible...and basically anything else that spins, has bearings, etc.... much more difficult to have a listen/check when its so random and your description sounds like it doesn't do it just on tick over?

Def not on idle.........if you turn the car on sometimes it does give a quick squel but on idle it does stop

Def not on idle.........if you turn the car on sometimes it does give a quick squel but on idle it does stop

hmmm, see, your comment about occasionally giving a quick squeal on start up would make it less likely the clutch bearing given it would be in neutral.

OK, as always, I am going to say it is probably wiser to get it checked it out, we can all sit here and suggest umpteen things depending on the engine, etc but we are not there driving it and able to offer more informed advice.

however, an 'old fashioned' technique and its your choice whether you do this, try a couple of drops of washing up liquid on the fan belt [obviously on the side that rubs against the pulleys], just a drop or two and see whether the noise stops. It just acts a gentle lubricant for the rubber that helps stop the noise without affecting/contaminating it the way oil would. ;)

won't lubricating make it slip more though ? - surely the idea with a slipping belt is to provide more grip, not less

hmmm, see, your comment about occasionally giving a quick squeal on start up would make it less likely the clutch bearing given it would be in neutral.

OK, as always, I am going to say it is probably wiser to get it checked it out, we can all sit here and suggest umpteen things depending on the engine, etc but we are not there driving it and able to offer more informed advice.

however, an 'old fashioned' technique and its your choice whether you do this, try a couple of drops of washing up liquid on the fan belt [obviously on the side that rubs against the pulleys], just a drop or two and see whether the noise stops. It just acts a gentle lubricant for the rubber that helps stop the noise without affecting/contaminating it the way oil would. ;)

Will do the Fairy Liquid thing. I did have it at the garage but the mechanic could find anything wrong as it wasn't squealing at the time....:bang:

won't lubricating make it slip more though ? - surely the idea with a slipping belt is to provide more grip, not less

yes and no - it's rubber and over time perishes/stretches slightly - the washing up liquid lubricates and temporarily 'cures' the perishing that is causing the squeal [edit: to add that its a friction noise as a spinning pully rubs against a belt that isn't spinning as quickly for a moment or 10, the liquid is lubricating those moments]. If it the noise stops, you know its fan belt can get a nice new one fitted before it starts, or more accurately, stops, charging the battery. if you are still getting the noise, probably time to get your local friendly mechanic involved before whatever it becomes terminal. ;)

The washing up liquid trick has been around for more years than me, especially in these situations, an older car with just an intermittent squeal - I do recall driving my old golf for another 7k before finally getting the fanbelt done after exactly such a problem, but I suspect I was quite lucky :LOL:

Will do the Fairy Liquid thing. I did have it at the garage but the mechanic could find anything wrong as it wasn't squealing at the time....:bang:

That, is what we call, the law of sod! The worse problem for any mechanic to diagnose is an intermittent one, because it will never, ever, do it whilst in the garage :bang:

The washing up liquid trick has been around for more years than me, :

really, I didn't realise they had washing up liquid that long ag... erm.. I mean..... :exit:

Sounds like a slightly dry thrust bearing? Other than that, try all the ancillary belts etc as it could be a number of things. That's the trouble with engines, everything rotates!

If it goes away when pressing the clutch it could be release bearings as mentioned. Bit odd that's it's intermittent though, maybe they're borderline.

Oh and do modern cars still have fan belts? :p

That's why I said Ancillary belts ;)

But a Passat does have a pulley driven fan of which it could be a number of things. Process of elimination for this one unfortunately, If it's the thrust bearing then I would be concerned, if it's just one of the belts then I wouldn't worry too much, It won't be the cam belt as that has toothed belts so there's no chance of squealing, it'll just snap (Perks of being an Alfa Romeo owner :( )

Have you tried putting all new rubber mats in?
Could be trouble with your grub nuts maybe? Or the donkey flange to St Elmos pipe trench interface.

Used to drip a little water on the belt, if the noise stopped, briefly, then it was time for a new one :D

My wifes VW Passat (2002) has started to squeal occasionally for no reason.... thought fan belt but then I have noticed that when the squeal appears, which is random, the noise decreases when I press the clutch in but as soon as I release it the noise starts again....then after a period of time, anything from a few seconds to a few minutes, the squeal just stops. It could be days/week before it reappears or it could start before I even get to the end of the road........:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:Any ideas :shrug::shrug::shrug:

The Spigot bearing is often the culprit of an intermittent squeal or momentary screech and is the sign of it failing - a small phosphor bronze bearing, often needle roller and they can get dry.

I always thought that the concept behind the "washing up liquid" bodge trick is that the washing up liquid gets spread around the belt by the pulleys and tensioners, it then crystalises because of the temperature creating some friction to prevent the belt slipping.

UPDATE: the pool guy came this morning to clean the pool (not my pool I will add) and it turns he was a mechanic in a past life.....pulls bonnet and tinkered about... hey presto...jobs a good one......and best of all he only charged me a cup of coffee.... let hope it is now solved

also keep your eye on the alternator some vag alternators have a clutch type bearing which can fail and the pulley falls off

Back