For anyone struggling with flash......

Thanks Gandhi great find; as are the resources in the web links thread.

Ok so now my brain is spinning can anyone help

I have a Canon 350D and I have an old vivitar 283 flash which I know will not work with the 350 because of high voltage.

The question is could I use it for off camera flash? If so what equipment would I need to get the camera to "talk" to the flash?

Thanks

Allan

Allan you'd be nuts to risk the 283 in the hotshoe of your 350D if the voltage isn't compatible.

Yes, you can use it off camera, but it wont 'talk' to the camera, it only talks' to itself. The 283 is an 'Automatic' flashgun. It represents a big step in flashgun development in that it had a sensor on the front of the flash which recieved the light bouncing back from the subject and which quenched the flash exposure when it judged the exposure to be correct. As the flash was mounted in the hotshoe and (as near as damn it) the same distance from the subject as the film, it produced pretty good results. These auto flashguns normally had 3 or 4 automatic aperture settings probably, f2.8, f4, f5.6 and f8 (depending on model) and you had to use one of these apertures set on both the flash and the camera to get the automatic operation.

It will never communicate with your 350D as the 350D is set up to receive light bouncing back from the flash and entering the lens, where the onboard sensor and electronics take care of flash control.

So to use it off camera then if the flash to subject distance is the same as the camera to subject distance, and you have the same aperture set on the flash and camera, the 283 should perform automatically as well as it can... which should be pretty good. You could use it on reduced power or at closer distances as a slave in combination with a main flash but obviously, you'd have to make the necessary adjustments to power output or aperture to get the result you're after.

There are loads of aftermarket gizmos which enable multi - flash slave setups. You should be able to find something suitable for the 283. :)

Back