For anyone who has the Canon G7X mk11

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Been trying to get stable video with my cameras, so I trawled through all the info I could find...

Found a little video that claims the user can get near Gimbal steady video, when he has his camera in a certain mode. I have just been trying it out myself, around the house. It does seem a little smoother, but battery just died, so can't do much more testing. Will take it out tomorrow, on a full battery and a good brisk walk.

To access the smoother video function, it is in the Menu 4 setting. IS Settings Continuous or Standard. But if you first set the camera to video mode via the dial, then access the IS settings, there is now another setting, and that is HIGH. This setting seems to give a smoother video while walking. Only thing is, it crops in a little, while in this mode.

Battery fully charged and still nice sunshine outside, so went out for a walk around the garden, and down some steps while shooting video. With image stabilisation off, the video is very jerky and un watchable, but with image stabilisation set to HIGH, the video is pretty stable, and does have a slight floaty gimbal smoothness to it.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, if anyone is interested that is...
Been testing the camera out all morning. With the image stabilisation set to off, the video was very jittery while walking. I then set the camera to standard mode and the video is reasonably steady, but not gimbal stable. I then set it to the High setting, and it was even a little better, but with it cropping in a little, as it does when set to High, the video quality degraded a little. So I will not be using the high setting, and I will leave it on the standard setting.

Back