For Everything Photographic

Very interesting little film, thanks. I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with him in equal measure, but it's healthy to have debate; it's what drives progression.

I loved shops like that as a kid; sadly, Ebay etc has killed most of them. You can't beat a bricks and mortar shop with actual human beings; something people should consider when they're buying from online grey importers etc. Cos when it's gone, it's gone...

I recall driving past Mr Cad on numerous business trips into/through Croydon.......and indeed going there a few times over the years.

IIRC my brother used them more often.

That was a lovely little film. I was also impressed that he could take an Ilford Sportsman apart. :D

Not in it for profit haha, sold him my gear last week and what its gone on the site for will be some healthy profit!

Hes a nice chap, like to take the p***, kept asking me why Id bought what I had in the first place

And its a great source of LF gear

I bought things from them twice. Neither transaction, I'm sorry to say, was entirely successful. :(

I'll be in Pimlico in a few weeks, I've never actually popped into Mr Cad, something that I must correct, I used to deal with them many years ago when they were in Croydon, a lot of my darkroom equipment came from them, I still prefer and do my best to purchase from bricks and mortar stores.
Have you been to Grays of Westminster? If you're a Nikon guy you'll think you've died and gone to heaven! (y)

I've known about them for years and regularly checked their website for LF stuff, and I vaguely recall buying something that wasn't quite what it was listed as. I can't imagine going into that shop and coming out empty handed though. :oops: :$;)

That was a lovely little film. I was also impressed that he could take an Ilford Sportsman apart. :D
Fascinating, I've met a lot of similar people over the years but sadly they're now in a tiny minority.

As for being able to take the Ilford film tearing machine Sportsman apart, they did that all by themselves, the clever bit was putting them back together again.

When I lived in West Drayton I often made trips to the EuroPhoto Centre on the Uxbridge Road. It was a delight, for example when buying a new camera bag, to be able to take my gear along and try out a myriad of possible bags to see what fit the best. Bricks and mortar places still have this facility but the range is very small and aimed at the general point-and-shoot population, so turning up with a big camera and an even bigger zoom or two really wouldn't be very useful, so one has to buy online and hope for the best using pictures and videos from Youtube.

Have you been to Grays of Westminster? If you're a Nikon guy you'll think you've died and gone to heaven! (y)
Yes, I've been to the shop around 3 times, I've been a customer of there's for over 25 years, Grays help me out with information even though he didn't have to, as a few times it wasn't anything that was supplied by them.

Back