For Flickr users

Sid

Name
Sidath
Edit My Images
Yes
When I first became passionate about photography, I soon found myself with a Flickr account. I enjoyed the community and the amount of work posted by others that I could find inspiration in.

To a large extent, this is still true of Flickr, but I find focusing on the photos themselves to be a lot harder when there are distracting comment images and when you need to click through multiple times before you get to see the photo at a respectable size.

With this in mind, I decided to use the Flickr API to create a site that allowed me to both showcase my own photos as well as discover other's photos in a efficient and uncluttered manner. What I ended up with was Fluidr: http://www.fluidr.com/

Fluidr is designed to help you:
  • Get through photos fast with minimal page loads
  • Discover new Flickr artists.
  • View things sorted in various ways
  • Switch seamlessly to a slideshow and back again without page loads

It sports a continuous pagination interface which simply means that as you scroll, more photos magically appear at the bottom of the page. This means that you'll never need to hit a 'next' link again. You can jump into a slideshow at any time by hitting the SPACEBAR key and then use keyboard shortcuts to move forwards and backwards. Clicking on an image brings up a larger version of the photo.

You can add faves and comment on photos on the same page without needing to load a new page. Comments and Favs are added in the background so you can continue to view photos and videos while the network stuff is done in the background. I find that this is a far easier way for me to maintain my list of favourites which I often flick through when looking for an idea
Try the 'Surprise Me!' feature to jump to a random view on Flickr, it's a good way to discover someone new on Flickr, and see a one of the many images on Flickr you might otherwise never see.

I created this site mainly for my personal use, but on receiving positive comments from others, thought that other too might find it useful. It's free and has no ads or anything so feel free to give it a try and share links and so on. If you have any feedback I would greatly appreciate it!

It sports a continuous pagination interface

Damn, that's cool!

However... none of the menu blobs at the top are doing anything for me. I can't search for a user/group/etc. :(

Damn, that's cool!

However... none of the menu blobs at the top are doing anything for me. I can't search for a user/group/etc. :(

Firstly, thanks for checking it out! The bar on the top is a collection of buttons and input boxes. In order to search for a user by username, enter the username into the 'User' box and either hit ENTER or click on the magnifying glass icon.

If this still doesn't work, please let me know what browser you are using. I have tested in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE7/IE8.

Thanks again :)

enter the username into the 'User' box and either hit ENTER or click on the magnifying glass icon

Doh! :bang:

Ok... now that's even more impressive now that I've got it working properly. :clap:

If you want to add a pic/add someone as a contact, you have to click on their buddy icon and it takes you to flickr. That annoys me. :thumbsdown: otherwise, it's not bad...

Very good. I only saw flickriver for the first time today as well and this looks similar.

The only problem I have is that it doesn't seem to find me if I put in my normal flickr screen name.
It does find me if I use the URL shortcut name though.
apart from that, it's really good.

Very good. I only saw flickriver for the first time today as well and this looks similar.

The only problem I have is that it doesn't seem to find me if I put in my normal flickr screen name.
It does find me if I use the URL shortcut name though.
apart from that, it's really good.

Could you kindly let me know what your username is? You may have found a bug :D

If you want to add a pic/add someone as a contact, you have to click on their buddy icon and it takes you to flickr. That annoys me. :thumbsdown: otherwise, it's not bad...

Yes, it is not a complete Flickr replacement yet, I'm afraid. It is a work in progress though and I'm adding stuff to it at the moment.

I've tried mine and I'm only able to view a couple of images....I'm at work so it must be some sort of glitch. Great idea though

If the images you are attempting to view are not public, you will have to authorise Fluidr with your Flickr account (link at top right, takes about 30 seconds) to view them.

If this still doesn't work, please let me know which URL is causing issues and I'll take a look into it. Thanks!

Could you kindly let me know what your username is? You may have found a bug :D

my screen name is g lloyd which doesn't work,
but my URL shortcut name is zx80 which does work.

pretty cool - any chance of an option to have a white background ?

Thats cool. Thanks Sid.

Yeah, that's really great. One of the problems with Flikr in my view is that for a huge, global website, its layout and visual style looks rather amateurish and there is limited scope for customizing your own page.

my screen name is g lloyd which doesn't work,
but my URL shortcut name is zx80 which does work.

You have found a bug! One way to make it work is to:

1) In the 'User' box, type "g lloyd"
2) Hit Enter (don't click on the magnifying glass)

The error comes when you click on the magnifying glass instead of hitting enter. Silly bug, will fix it by tonight.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide feedback. I spend ages testing this thing but stuff still falls through the cracks :)

PS: I like 'Skeleton Bridge' in your stream!

The error comes when you click on the magnifying glass instead of hitting enter. Silly bug, will fix it by tonight.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide feedback. I spend ages testing this thing but stuff still falls through the cracks :)

Now fixed. Thanks again :)

For me the "comment" link doesnt seem to work :(

Thanks Sid.
I saw your comment on my Flickr home page, but nothing shows up in my stats.
I don't know if that's to do with fluidr or flickr :shrug:

Excellent work Sid.

I much prefer this look than Flickr's look. I have changed my Flickr link in my emails to go to Fluidr now. So much nicer.

Well done mate and thanx....

I agree, far better to look at than Flickr pages. Top stuff Sid, like it loads.

Andy

Top stuff, and much more easy on the eyes, viewing on black.:clap:

it's flickr + jquery! absolutely love it mate :D

the lightboxing on the images is great, I'm pretty sure the pages load faster... great work!

For me the "comment" link doesnt seem to work :(

Hi Paulie, thanks for taking the time to report a problem!

Could you please tell me what exactly happens? At which point does it fail for you?

1. You are logged in
2. You click on the comment link
3. The comment box appears along with buttons to post and cancel
4. You enter your comment, text appears in the box as expected
5. You click on post
6. The box and buttons disappear and are replaced with an animated image
7. 'Comment successfully posted' appears along with an undo link

If you can tell me at which point things stray from the above order I can drill down to the problem a lot faster :)

Some reasons why you won't be able to comment:

1. If you have commented a lot within a short period of time, Flickr prevents you from commenting for a while. This is a form of spam protection
2. If the user has not allowed commenting on a photo/video, the comment link won't appear.

Also, please let me know which browser you are using.

Hi Paulie, thanks for taking the time to report a problem!

Could you please tell me what exactly happens? At which point does it fail for you?

1. You are logged in
2. You click on the comment link
3. The comment box appears along with buttons to post and cancel
4. You enter your comment, text appears in the box as expected
5. You click on post
6. The box and buttons disappear and are replaced with an animated image
7. 'Comment successfully posted' appears along with an undo link

If you can tell me at which point things stray from the above order I can drill down to the problem a lot faster :)

Some reasons why you won't be able to comment:

1. If you have commented a lot within a short period of time, Flickr prevents you from commenting for a while. This is a form of spam protection
2. If the user has not allowed commenting on a photo/video, the comment link won't appear.

Also, please let me know which browser you are using.

Hi Sid

Ok here goes....
1. You are logged in yes
2. You click on the comment link yes, and thats where nothing happens.
3. The comment box appears along with buttons to post and cancel doesnt open
4. You enter your comment, text appears in the box as expected n/a
5. You click on post n/a
6. The box and buttons disappear and are replaced with an animated image n/a
7. 'Comment successfully posted' appears along with an undo link n/a

Same thing happens on the matadata links too. Running Win XP home & FireFox 3.4.5 One other thing i noticed yesterday is that i dont seem to have pages (i.e cant view more that what comes up on the first page).

Hope this helps Sid as i think you've done a damn good job so far mate.

Hi Sid

Ok here goes....
1. You are logged in yes
2. You click on the comment link yes, and thats where nothing happens.
3. The comment box appears along with buttons to post and cancel doesnt open
4. You enter your comment, text appears in the box as expected n/a
5. You click on post n/a
6. The box and buttons disappear and are replaced with an animated image n/a
7. 'Comment successfully posted' appears along with an undo link n/a

Same thing happens on the matadata links too. Running Win XP home & FireFox 3.4.5 One other thing i noticed yesterday is that i dont seem to have pages (i.e cant view more that what comes up on the first page).

Hope this helps Sid as i think you've done a damn good job so far mate.

Thanks for the info -- it's very helpful.

I think the problem is that there is a Javascript error when the page loads initially. This prevents any further Javascript from executing which is why things like commenting, new page loads and so on are not working.

I'm not too sure why Javascript is not working. I presume you haven't disabled Javascript in your browser (if things like Gmail, Digg etc. work then this is unlikely to be the case).

A few things to try:

1. Try doing a hard refresh (CTRL + F5)
  2. Try opening the site in Internet Explorer and see if things work properly
  3. Turn on the Errror console in Firefox (Tools -> Error console) and click on the Red icon to view only errors. If things are cluttered, ensure you only have a single tab with Fluidr in it, clear the console logs and refresh Fluidr

If there is anything wrong, the error console should identify what the problem is. If you find something, please copy the error and add it here. Thanks again for your time!

Ok mate, hang on and i'll give it a go and report back :)

Erron consul states

"Error: onScroll is not defined
Source File: http://www.fluidr.com/photos/23893466@N04
Line: 1"

Just checking what i.e does......... Ok error in i.e reads.....

Line: 39
Char: 1
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.fluidr.com/photos/23893466@N04

Hmm this is very strange... It clearly is an error in Javascript, which is why Javascript methods such as onScroll isn't found. Apart from this, it doesn't really mention why it isn't working. On running the site in both the browsers you mention, however, I don't get this error...

Have you tried the site in Firefox's safe mode by any chance? Just to see if extensions are causing the problem (this would not explain the error in IE though).

Also, if you have the chance to check the site out on another computer please let me know if you have similar problems.

I'll keep thinking about it on this end. Thanks again!

Got a whole bunch of stuff in the "warning" tab on FF. I'll post them up if you want.

Nice work! It's a really interesting take on the Flickr interface.

Stripping a system right back to the basics like this can be really effective.

Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Very Nice indeed Sid (y)

Works well to press for me and I have found the interface very intuitive

I intend to delve a bit deeper and see how other functions work but on a first impression basis its excellent :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks

Paul

Back