For the 'younger' members of TP....

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
Yes
I was just wondering how many 'younger' members there were on TalkPhotography?
Plus while we're here how long have you been photographing for?

Its just nice to speak to people around the age of 20 odd who all follow the same passion... I feel I sometimes get a bit of stick at college for being passionate and enthusiastic about photography.

:)

Its just nice to speak to people around the age of 20 odd who all follow the same passion... I feel I sometimes get a bit of stick at college for being passionate and enthusiastic about photography.

Hi Toby, I know what you mean. I'm 24 and started my course last year. Not that I am exactly a mature student but I find it hard when I take it seriously and some of the younger ones dont. :bang: Its very frustrating some times!

Hey,
Im 21. Know what you mean, sometimes if my mates ask me what im upto tonight and i say im going out to take some photo's, they think im a bit mad. They just don't understand. haha

James

I am the youngest mod :D but that aint saying much :(

From what I have witnessed at various meets we do have a lot of 20 something members, that or they are just the more sociable people :p

I'm 20.

just bash your work on facebook, show them any bands you've shot / met works pretty well, get involved and this sort of thing will go away, and when people see some cool photos that you've taken, it changes from being 'strange' to being cool :)

Oh, and my usual plug for student media here: If you're at university, school or college, get involved with your student media, ie TV/radio/magazine, really fantastic opportunities that you just wouldn't have anywhere else, as well as great people.

19 here. Been into photography my whole life but only got into it seriously when I turned 16 and I started looking at university courses. I only discovered then that Photography was a degree so I jumped at the chance. Now I'm in my 2nd year of 4 and locing it.
Alot of people on my course don't seem to care and rarely turn up or do work, and if they do it is quite poor, in my opinion. I think alot of students want the student lifestyle and not the actual degree behind it.

Tom N.

Im 20, and again younger people don't understand lol. I seem to go out taking photos with people in their 30's/40's lol. My cousin who is 17 and doing photography at college doesn't seem too interested either though!!

i'm 41 going on 12... :) does that count??

Photography isn't as geeky as computer programming so don't worry :)

I'm 17 been doing this for about a year and half - so not long at all! And I've only had my DSLR since April last year.

I've experienced the same, a lot of people seemed to find it a little bit geeky - but after starting doing photos at the sports and events for school and everyone seems to love seeing thier friends and themselves in photos.

Peoples attitude has changed quite a bit, so that's always good (y). Facebook advertising after the events always seems to work a treat too :LOL::cool:

I'm 19 and ive been doing it for about a year and a half when i found out it was an a level! 1 month into the course and i bought my DSLR and got an A :) my friends dont seem to think it is as interesting as i do either :/

Wow what a response! Good to see so many 'younger' people...:D

I hear what some of you are saying! Some people who are currently taking the A-level at my school don't even really care about photography! And most can't even take a good picture (theory based, e.g rule of thirds, good contrast etc.) Yet they don't seem to realise how important photography is...

I'd much rather go out togging, than going out and getting hammered then waking up the next day, not being able to remember a thing with a thunderstorm of a headache!

But yeah, forgot to add, I've been togging now for 3/4 years, and got my first DSLR year n a half ago! Since I've accumulated 16,000+ shots and taken on film with a T90 and OM-10!

For the forum elders... you're only as old as you feel! Lol. ;)

I'm lucky to live in a city where photography is accepted into art circles. However I've noticed, on my course, that I am looked at as a bit of a square because I dont have the faintest interest in gig photography anymore!

I hear what some of you are saying! Some people who are currently taking the A-level at my school don't even really care about photography! And most can't even take a good picture (theory based, e.g rule of thirds, good contrast etc.) Yet they don't seem to realise how important photography is...

I completely agree... 4 people quit the course last year and this year there are only 2 of us that turn up every lesson (out of the 6 of us who are left doing it...)

I completely agree... 4 people quit the course last year and this year there are only 2 of us that turn up every lesson (out of the 6 of us who are left doing it...)

Flippin' heck thats not alot...! We have relatively full classes... 2 X 15/16 pupils... yet I can only think of about 10 who are serious(ish) about it! I think some people see it as a easy course... And I think quite a few find that its not as easy as they think!! :)

Wooo! Just noticed I'm now a 'Forum Regular'! Lol. Sorry for the little outburst! :D

I'd much rather go out togging, than going out and getting hammered

photography WHILE drinking works too ;)

and yeah, fortunately a large % of those who do photo courses don't take it seriously, if they did then there would be so much competition for already scarce work once you finished, it'd be insane... :p sadly this and in many cases a lack of perspective on real world applications and commercial photography also means that there's quite a stereotype against formal photo education really :/

Although im only 20 unlike many of the younger guys on here I don't do photography at college. I work full time unfortunetly as a mechanic for the fire sevice so getting out with the camera is hard sometimes.

photography WHILE drinking works too ;)

Could be worth having a go. :LOL:

fortunately a large % of those who do photo courses don't take it seriously, if they did then there would be so much competition for already scarce work once you finished, it'd be insane... :p sadly this and in many cases a lack of perspective on real world applications and commercial photography also means that there's quite a stereotype against formal photo education really :/

I completely agree here!

And I think quite a few find that its not as easy as they think!! :)

Everyone thinks its point the camera and take a picture... i get "its easy" a lot too and "its not a real subject"... oh well, you still get ucas points (y)

Flippin' heck thats not alot...! We have relatively full classes... 2 X 15/16 pupils... yet I can only think of about 10 who are serious(ish) about it! I think some people see it as a easy course... And I think quite a few find that its not as easy as they think!! :)

Wooo! Just noticed I'm now a 'Forum Regular'! Lol. Sorry for the little outburst! :D

It's not even been offered as a course in our school, or any of the other local schools - I don't think, anyway. Would've much prefered to have done that rather than Accounting! :shake::bang:

<Proud Dad Alert> :clap:

My daughter's 17 and currently holds an A/S level in photography that she did in her lunchbreaks at school between her GCSE's and she's also studying for her full 'A' level this year (a year early)...

She knows I use this place but I don't think she's considered joining up.

I think it's time to mention it to her but I'm scared she'll end up straining my photography finances even further! :D

I'll get her to put up a 'hello' post if I can persuade her to join! :)

Si

Everyone thinks its point the camera and take a picture... i get "its easy" a lot too and "its not a real subject"... oh well, you still get ucas points (y)

Oh but they are soooo wrong...! I'd like to see them with a world with photographs and pictures!

It's not even been offered as a course in our school, or any of the other local schools - I don't think, anyway. Would've much prefered to have done that rather than Accounting! :shake::bang:

Ah thats a shame! Are there no 'art and media' colleges near by?

<Proud Dad Alert> :clap:

My daughter's 17 and currently holds an A/S level in photography that she did in her lunchbreaks at school between her GCSE's and she's also studying for her full 'A' level this year (a year early)...

Thats fantastic! Great bit of effort!

Get her to join up!! Tell her on be-half of the 'young' band of members that "She must!!" We're a friendly bunch of people! :D

Oh but they are soooo wrong...! I'd like to see them with a world with photographs and pictures!

Ah thats a shame! Are there no 'art and media' colleges near by?

Nah - unfortunately not.
Well, Aberdeen College does a Photography course but it's not like a subject you can take while at school as such. It's an HNC/D. Scottish system and all that. :p
Off to uni in September, albeit not to study Photography but I'm sure there will be plenty opportunities there - especially in linking up with the Uni media etc as Dave mentioned.

Nah - unfortunately not.
Well, Aberdeen College does a Photography course but it's not like a subject you can take while at school as such. It's an HNC/D. Scottish system and all that. :p
Off to uni in September, albeit not to study Photography but I'm sure there will be plenty opportunities there - especially in linking up with the Uni media etc as Dave mentioned.

Ah thats a real shame... well yeah Uni should be full of togging oppotunities! Hope you enjoy what you're doing anyway! :D
I prefer the go out with the camera for the day and end up in the pub on the way back for a good drink lol

I've got just 7 months til I can do that!! :p - This may sound like a contradiction to earlier, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying a nice beer! :D

31 next month (sigh) and been a full time freelancer for just nearly three years. First picked up a camera around five years ago.

Before freelance photography I was a guitarist in a punk rock band, a pro audio/guitars/amplification sales assistant, a sound engineer, a theatre lighting tech and a coat hanger recycler amongst many others :wacky:

I was just wondering how many 'younger' members there were on TalkPhotography?
Plus while we're here how long have you been photographing for?

26 this year...and working as an Editorial Tog with sports and magazine features.

Been photographing since I was about 20...when I started my uni degree.

I never got stick since everyone else was camera-mad too...

Sad thing is, I was about to post saying 'Hi, I'm a young one', but realised that I'm not any more. I'm 28 on Tuesday. Not really young any more

Back