Forest of Dean....... Boar..please read

Left it. The Forestry Commsion usually come get them..

That or the local sausage maker.

Tom cheers for the updates,tis a sad ol' tale. When we spent time with them , they tracked some way maybe half a mile. They are hanging in one place for a reason I suspect that is QED'd already but their range is way way bigger than what one might think

I watched the old girl feeding behind some brambles,she was massive and feet from the road,no motorist could possibly see her..If she had of stepped forwards no one would have a chance of stopping. Folks drive too fast there mate,but even at thirty MPH if that that old girl stepped,she or a driver had no chance.

There will always be collisions it's like any wildlife it will always happen,boar are dark that doesn't help. It would be a lot better if they weren't drawn to roads by food given by us though

A road kill pheasent belongs to the landowner a joining the road ,one can't pick it up tis illegal,I wonder on a pig??

Tom my lass loves pigs,I grind the miles with my job,spotted some free range every colour under the sun,amazing colours actually. Naturally I took her and a camera. Making images of these boar was not dissimilar to domestic piggies,I get the cross aspect, you speak of The more those wild genes get diluted the more carnage we will see

cheers again mate tis a lovely place you live in

stu

Good, must have been from a different group the one I saw.

One for Stu ...... taken from another Forum

China

but we have them all around where we live in France, in the front wood which is part of our garden ......... They are big "buggers" but usually keep away from you ....... and I keep away from them ..... they have ruined some of my bird scouting sessions when they have "grunted" at me from the under growth

https://nypost.com/video/ferocious-wild-boar-attack-kills-an-elderly-man/

One for Stu ...... taken from another Forum

China

but we have them all around where we live in France, in the front wood which is part of our garden ......... They are big "buggers" but usually keep away from you ....... and I keep away from them ..... they have ruined some of my bird scouting sessions when they have "grunted" at me from the under growth

https://nypost.com/video/ferocious-wild-boar-attack-kills-an-elderly-man/

Bill ,lovely to hear from you. The link is a hard core it might be worth slapping an advisory in your post kiddo. While the video is desparate it's heartbreaking that the old guy being attacked lost his life,it does show exactly how powerful these boar can be and also how aggressive, I'd love to know the back story to this incident surely there must have been a trigger for this behaviour

A few folks might benefit from this,but sadly one isn't going to educate our population.

You good bro we don't see you so much now??
cheers for this although it makes very very hard viewing

stu

Bill ,lovely to hear from you. The link is a hard core it might be worth slapping an advisory in your post kiddo. While the video is desparate it's heartbreaking that the old guy being attacked lost his life,it does show exactly how powerful these boar can be and also how aggressive, I'd love to know the back story to this incident surely there must have been a trigger for this behaviour

A few folks might benefit from this,but sadly one isn't going to educate our population.

You good bro we don't see you so much now??
cheers for this although it makes very very hard viewing

stu

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...aging-wild-boar-kills-villager-northern-china

I live near the Forest of Dean and have seen the damage the boar have caused. They are being pursued by photographers, disturbed in situ, as well as tourists trying to feed them. The numbers are going to be unmanageable. It will end in tears one way or another.

I live near the Forest of Dean and have seen the damage the boar have caused. They are being pursued by photographers, disturbed in situ, as well as tourists trying to feed them. The numbers are going to be unmanageable. It will end in tears one way or another.

They are certainly breeding far faster than the French can shoot them down here in SW France

They ruin part of our "garden" twice a year and I regularly see the hunters spend 4 hours trying to corner and shoot them but they always seem to get away

To be fair, most of the boar live a sheltered life, rarely seeing anyone. I live literally in the forest, I’m surrounded by trees on all sides, and although there is clear evidence of boar here, I’ve never actually seen any.
It’s just a few locations have become tourist traps, the boar are taking advantage of the food given to them by stupid people trying to get photos.

People are problem here, not the boar.

Well, agree on the part that some people are the problem - the boar however present a long term threat to roaming without concern. And they trash areas such as down at Symonds Yat- part of the river walk is pretty poor. I can’t walk on it.

Yes I get that they make a mess, but so do humans. Boar were here far before we were (yes I know this particular generation wasn’t).
They are wild animals, doing what wild animals do.
I and many others get fed up with all the bird crap all over thier cars, but how many people are calling for all birds to be culled?

I and many others get fed up with all the bird crap all over thier cars, but how many people are calling for all birds to be culled?
There is a multi million ££ business built up around pigeon proofing / culling.
Mostly in urban areas, in and around listed / protected buildings.

But I do take your point, and do agree with you (y)

Ya know the big problem here is our double standards,it's ok for us to wipe our land clean of almost anything that could potentially harm us yet if I applied what i'd read here then surely my fellow man in india or japan or Africa has the same right but we'd all start jumping though hoops if they did what we have done

Bill you moved to a place where boar live, embrace them mate They might be a right PITA to you,but it's only a garden it'll mend. An electric fence will sort this most of the time .granted they are clever sods.

Oh cheers for the second clip,gotcha they reckon snow caused hunger?? But thankfully even the locals say this was a one off isolated incident. Frankly I can see this happening here,I'll never know what might have been if there was no fence on that charge I witnessed . But honestly I feel it's way more likely that a human death will be caused by an RTA than aggresive actions like you have shown me. It's tricky mate as is proved and demonstrated in the image above our population is not really thinking about much at all when it comes to nature..

I made an image of a tog above a guy fairly serious ya know biggish lens etc etc I never wanted him torn apart just for folks to see the potential danger. How can we judge folks like this they haven't a clue.I also don't want this to be just about image makers,haribo sweet lady had no camera,just edible kids erm sweets. :whistle: But this is a photography forum and we are part of this problem sadly

I suppose what I'm seeing is this classic thing talked about by wildlife photographers. whom have done this a long time. In the old days guys whom came to wildlife image making were oft from a wildlife background. They had to be knowledable about wildlife or they would never get anywhere near making an image . They had serious feild craft understood beastie inside out. nowadays field craft is something called faceache or twitty
ya belt round the world paying for guides or turn up at the lastest hotspot,,just like Geoff mentioned .

Oh sure they might be able to fight over a head angle or dof or show you their latest greatest gear but put them in a position like this and it's an accident waiting to happen ,sadly

stu

A road kill pheasant belongs to the landowner a joining the road ,one can't pick it up tis illegal,I wonder on a pig??
Is that correct (about pheasants) ... I was always under the impression that you can take a dead pheasant off the road legally, but if you had knocked it down / killed it; then legally you would be poaching it. Same is true of dear; so I would assume wild pigs would be the same - if its dead / you didn't kill it you can take it.

Is that correct (about pheasants) ... I was always under the impression that you can take a dead pheasant off the road legally, but if you had knocked it down / killed it; then legally you would be poaching it. Same is true of dear; so I would assume wild pigs would be the same - if its dead / you didn't kill it you can take it.
I tend not to believe it without a reference. It is also in conflict with the generally accepted practice that pheasants (even if bred by the landowner) that stray onto neighbouring land and shoots are the “property” of the new landowner. Anyway I’ve always collected pheasants that are in good nick whether I’ve killed them with my car or someone else has and I must confess that when I read about the boar that was my first thought ;)

The problems raised are purely and simply down to one factor FACEBOOK 10 years ago most peeps posted pics of bird or animal sightings on Flickr or forums where access was limited and the news spread slowly .
These days a rarity or a good place to see a rarity is posted ( usually innocently) on FB and within hours the place is swarming with Wannasee’s .i can only see it get worse .

....Online media yes but Twatter rather than Facebook is the main culprit. Not that location posts on Facebook don't add to the problem but Twatter is to blame far more.

This is why I now do not give the exact location online of species I have photographed (except privately to trusted friends) - I just give the county and country. I ignore messages or replies from strangers who ask me for a location. Although I use it occasionally, I really dislike Twitter.

Anyway I’ve always collected pheasants that are in good nick whether I’ve killed them with my car or someone else has
A man after my own heart ( or should that be stomach? :D )

I was always under the impression that you can take a dead pheasant off the road legally, but if you had knocked it down / killed it; then legally you would be poaching it.
I got curious about this, as that is what I always understood too.
There is plenty of anecdotal / hear-say evidence about this.
The only "law" I can find, and that is after searching defra, (Wildlife and countryside act) ) & police ( wildlife crime ) web sites,

1) the dead animal belongs to who ever's land its on, road kill is therefore the property of the highways agency.
(But are they going to mind if you "clear up" for them? )

2) it is illegal to purse an animal in a motorised vehicle.

3) wild boar are not game ( as deer are)

3a) wild boar have no closed season ( for hunting) but the advice is not to kill a sow with dependant piglets or pregnant.

So there you have it, Clear as mud eh?

On the way up to the bike show 10 or so days ago, a cock pheasant glided down into the central reservation about 200 yards ahead of us and flopped over onto its back - dead. Didn't stop to pick it up! Can only guess that it had been poached - out of season.

I see loads of fresh roadkill but CBA to pick it up and deal with it. TBH, I'm not that fond of pheasant anyway - Grandpa was a member of a shoot so we had it all too often! Did have a deer once but the butcher who dealt with it for us is long dead.

A man after my own heart ( or should that be stomach? :D )

?
Last week I was very tempted by an unsquashed dead badger just up the road from me but since I was on my way to hospital visit I decided against it, the laws about badgers being somewhat more precise than those for roadkill pheasants :(

the laws about badgers being somewhat more precise than those for roadkill pheasants
Indeed they are, besides they taste like s*** anyway :D

Eloise I believe so,but I'm no legal guy ,it's come from the shooting fraternity somewhere ,i've read it several times,but sorry no links.Frankly after a brief search because I genuinely felt I'd locate this fast,seeing even the bill seem unsure I've given up. Frankly for me a bigger crime would be leaving it to rot ,but the law surrounding game ( non game) is so damn complex pinning this down might take me ages. So take it or leave . I genuinely believe what I said was true and there is nowt here above to contradict that.

Rich not conflict phess moves to another bit of land tis their's,or mine:p right side of road it's mine. It actually seems logical to me.

So you and Chris will have never eaten badger ham then,neither have I actually and personally don't fancy it any more than a clay baked hedgehog. But ya might be wrong bro:D Badger ham comes from an old Cornish guy Chris,sure again anecdotal,but I had no reason to not believe him.

Maybe I'm a bit out there,few here will have genuinely known hunger, I guess that effects what I do. But despite this hugely sentimental side to me if a beastie is dead and fresh dead it's always gone in the freezer, as before for me a bigger crime than any law is leaving something to rot

Eloise if I can pin this down I'll come back gladly I'll ask a few folks someone might be able to point us in the right direction. I photograph wildlife on a shoot and have regular delieveries of unwanted game from another.

cheers all

stu

So you and Chris will have never eaten badger ham
Hamster jam, ah yes, that's good for growing tulips (y)
(Well so sung Max Bygraves, so it must be true :D )

You've always struck me as a real clever guy Chris,but your ears have issues bro mine don't work at all so i'm not much better off.:D I'd best not go further I'm apt to run with things especially when someones having a crack with me,:exit:

Bless ya mate I'll sleep with a smile on that;)

stu

Rich not conflict phess moves to another bit of land tis their's,or mine:p right side of road it's mine. It actually seems logical to me.

So you and Chris will have never eaten badger ham then,neither have I actually and personally don't fancy it any more than a clay baked hedgehog. But ya might be wrong bro:D Badger ham comes from an old Cornish guy Chris,sure again anecdotal,but I had no reason to not believe him.

stu
Recent non-anecdotal evidence of mustelophagy :) by the president of the RSPB http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10375201/Eat-roadkill-says-new-face-of-the-RSPB.html though it’s badger chausseur rather than hams.

Blummin heck Rich,how am I, me of all, meant to cope with words like that :eek: can't we just share some of Chris' jam please;)

Blummin heck Rich,how am I, me of all, meant to cope with words like that :eek: can't we just share some of Chris' jam please;)
Well, you are a bit of a wordsmith yourself aren’t you? ;)

Recent non-anecdotal evidence of mustelophagy :)
As you eluded to up the page a little, Badgers are ( or at least were) highly protected. And that included the road kill.
I knew someone ( a PHD) that used to "study them", and they had to jump through hoops to get a licence just to collect carcasses.
It had to be done formally as it was "important research that was getting published"

But I guess that's all changed now, with the " legal culls" that have been going on..
Although I did hear that's also about to end, for now, with the data being collated and the viability discussed

You've always struck me as a real clever guy Chris,
I think you are the only one (y)
So thanks :D

As you eluded to up the page a little, Badgers are ( or at least were) highly protected. And that included the road kill

><

:D
I fairly sure it’s legal to possess road kill badgers but the problem is that you would have to prove that is what they were and that presents difficulties if you were challenged :(

There is a multi million ££ business built up around pigeon proofing / culling.
As you seem to be a man in the know, what is the position regarding culling the dammed wood pigeons that trash my garden in winter and my fruit and veg patch in summer?

Are they classed as vermin?

I fairly sure it’s legal to possess road kill badgers but the problem is that you would have to prove that is what they were and that presents difficulties if you were challenged
And therein lies the problem eh?

what is the position regarding culling the dammed wood pigeons

Wood pigeons and feral pigeons are classed as vermin, you can shoot & trap but NOT poison them.
Of course local by-laws regarding shooting apply.
ie discharging a firearm in a built up area will get you noticed by the local constabulary, but a silenced air rifle won't ;)

Wood pigeons and feral pigeons are classed as vermin, you can shoot & trap but NOT poison them.
Of course local by-laws regarding shooting apply.
ie discharging a firearm in a built up area will get you noticed by the local constabulary, but a silenced air rifle won't
I like that. Thank you.

As you seem to be a man in the know, what is the position regarding culling the dammed wood pigeons that trash my garden in winter and my fruit and veg patch in summer?

Are they classed as vermin?
They are classed as edible ;)

DON'T I repeat DON'T eat the Feral's they are no more than flying rats.
And in fact potentially carry more diseases than rats.
Wood pigeons are OK, and I assume you know the difference?

To save anyone else looking it up, feral are the ones that look like racing / fancy pigeons...
Woodies, pink breast grey back white flash on the neck, white bars on wings :)

I know the difference between woodies and ferals. We only get woodies but for some reason they always fly away when I ask them too. They never come back a second time!!!!

Indeed they are, besides they taste like s*** anyway :D

Never tasted s*** (or badger) so I'll just have to take your word on that!

I thought hamster jam caused chewed lips...

Recent non-anecdotal evidence of mustelophagy :) by the president of the RSPB http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10375201/Eat-roadkill-says-new-face-of-the-RSPB.html though it’s badger chausseur rather than hams.

Recent? That article's dated 2013.

FWIW, I was told by a roadkill aficionado that boar badgers taste "f***in' 'orrible" but sows aren't too bad.

Recent? That article's dated 2013.
Yes, I know, but it’s recent compared to 1890 etc from which a lot of similar “recipes” date, so yes, recent ;)

Back