Forget GAS for cameras -- how about those bags?!

That is a thing of beauty

Thanks. It's fantastic, I absolutely love it. No GAS for any messenger bags because of this. You can even go to a posh restaurant with it and nobody would bat an eyelid. With my Fuji X-S10 + 23/35/56 lenses, there's enough room for a small rocket blower, 10,000mha battery bank with room to spare in the main compartment. Plus a front pocket to keep my wallet/passport or batteries.

@dancook has a black one i believe as well.

Last edited:
Wow, I’ve had so many bags over the years as I too, have always had a bit of an obsession with them. I’ve cut back over last 18 months or so, but I do still have 3 that I’ll be looking to move on shortly. Current main carry is a Vanguard Veo Adapter R48 which is my carry all bag, and also have a Vanguard Veo Active 46 which fits everything except for my 200-600 Sony, and this is one that I’ll be looking to move on soon. I also have a Lowepro ProTactic 350 AWii which I love and wouldn’t consider parting with. The other 2 that will be on the way out are a Lowepro messenger bag (can’t remember the model number) and a Peak Design V2 6l sling…which I’m replacing with the 10l Tenba Fulton I bought from the classifieds a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
Managed to lose one recently. Circular walk starting in Gargrave. Bit miffed as it had a spare battery in as well as my favourite jazzy buff. BUM!

in my nova 170 i can fit an R5 with the EF/RF converter on and a 16-35 2.8, plus a 24-105 F4 and a laowa 12mm F2.8.

All tightly packed and i can even get a 70-200 F4 in in absence of one of those, all be it without the zip done up - but thats the point - its small, compact and Ideal to put in the footwell of a car or something on a road trip when you don't want to carry round the weight of the world in your bag

I have a D850, a Sigma 14-24mm (which is pretty long and thick, and heavy), a 50mm and a 28mm. I can actually get it all in but only if it is always in the same configuration, in other words, if I have one lens on, I may have to change it to another for everything to fit which is all too much trouble. I have re-jigged my large Lowepro so it will accept any configuration, it is rather too big for convenience but I'm never going to find the bag I like, in the end, it's better the devil you know.

I might have tried the next Lowepro up but the 200 is virtually the same size as the one I have.

Shame there isn't a place like the old Eurofoto Centre in Uxbridge which had a huge range of bags and you could just go along with your gear and see what fit the best.

I have camera cases (Thinktank Airport International, Pelican), bags wise I have a Crumpler backpack now in the shed....used it twice, too heavy when filled so why I moved to cases.

Also have a Crumpler Messenger that can hold 2 bodies and like 3 lenses and 2 flashes inside. Great for weddings.

But my personal bag is my now discontinued Wotoncraft Ryker, I saw it and got GAS for it. It is simply adorable, amazing quality. IMO it is my most perfect travel bag. Fit a A73 with 3 primes (24/35/50 F/1.4). Genuine leather, brass hardware. If it is any other brand, it would need another zero added to the price.

The best thing about it, it looks nothing like a camera bag. It looks like a normal messenger bag which is what you want. No brand, no names on show.

gNf0P6r.jpg
That has given me serious bag envy!

I used to like my old Billingham bag (the biggest one) I'd get 2 bodies and I think 4 lens and flash. Trouble was all the weight was on one side of your body. Not great if you have back trouble like I do. I swopped it for a backpack type bag which was rubbish really, but better on the back. The Billingham were nice looking bags though and well made.

I stated with a K&F Concept backpack, which is actually very good and I keep my "video" kit in it now (Sony A6300 plus 18-135 lens with Ronin mount attached).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-Lightweight-Backpack-Resistant-Multipurpose/dp/B01MCRTITT Paid £42.99

I then got an Amazon Basics backpack which is no longer available, but it served me very well on a Yosemite trip which included som long hikes and a fair bit of heavy rain - the bag cover did its job. Paid £35

I added a Caden shoulder bag for a trip to Singapore where I needed to travel light:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CADeN-Waterproof-Shoulder-Messenger-Crossbody/dp/B06XHF1FNB only cost me £21.99

Next one was a Thule TCDK101 Covert Dark Shadow Backpack for DSLR Camera - this has been ok, but it's a bit heavy - useful if walking in bad weather, though.

Then onto the Peak design stuff: Everyday backpack V2 30l, and I also have a Totepack which is great as a "nice bag" for taking into work or evening events. These are both great and have lots of useful little features over "normal" bags - the Everyday is great as a general use backpack on holiday.

I’ve a lovely leather A4 sized man bag I’d love to convert to a city camera bag (doesn’t fit my current laptop).

But I reckon it’d need serious disassembly and professional reassembly

Someone on here (and i don't remember who) had a leather jacket that they had converted into a camera bag. Might be worth searching for that thread to get an idea of cost.

I've realised I actually have more than I thought.

Two sling type ones for when I had crop bodies and smaller lenses.

I bought rucksack, but never really used it other than when I travelled by car. It's not a bad design though. Comfortable, with room for some non-camera bits too.

There was a great offer a while back on a Manfroto messenger bag, which is OK. Doesn't look like a camera bag, which is a plus. Coincidentally, it has one of those material pockets that enables you to slide it over the handle of a wheely suitcase, which also means it fits the cage that attaches it to the front luggage block of my Brompton. So it's actually had more use as bike luggage.

Finally, when I bought my (Vanguard) tripod, they were doing a deal on a free rucksack to accompany it. It's been designed to house the tripod, and is a useful size, so this is my current preferred choice.

I 'think' it's the VEO Select 49. Or an older version of it. the bag is now £149 on its own, so it was a pretty good deal and I thought if I don't like it, I could always sell the bag and make the tripod feel cheaper.

3_937e7835-088e-495e-b72a-372e7929150c_1000x.png
1_86979649-eb2a-413a-b249-ff24c890dcbf_1000x.png

I'm not sure who that bag is aimed at in its supplied form because when I said above about 'tiny' things, I wasn't kidding. All the compartments seemed to be miniature versions of what a 'real' camera bag would consist of; I didn't think there were interchangeable-lens cameras that small. The internal length of 25.5cms is divided into three equal parts with two of the parts divided into two crosswise; who has lenses and cameras that small?!
Just checked my small Lowepro - I think it's a nova (but it's 10+ years old, and the little label that identified which bag it is has long since gone).
It's internal length is just 22.5cm, divided into 3 to fit my A6000+16-50 attached, 55-210, 50 f/1.8 OSS & 35 f/1.8 OSS (stacked one on the other).
I can even have my MK-320 flash sit on top of everything if I need it. Great for a travel kit when I'm out with family, and want to be able to take decent pictures, but don't want the bulk of my FF gear

Someone on here (and i don't remember who) had a leather jacket that they had converted into a camera bag. Might be worth searching for that thread to get an idea of cost.
I’ve just measured it up and it wouldn’t fit my needs.
Which is a real shame! I bought it for travel to the office, I used to carry just my surface pro, a pad and pens in it.
It was a great buy from one of those backstreet leather shops on a Greek island.

But now I travel to the office less often (so carry more) and my laptop is bigger. So I have a v practical but boring rucksack.

Back