Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

NFI

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
From New Delhi to Abu Dhabi there is a massive contrast...bit later than usual a selection of photos from the Abu Dhabi GP, I never shoot at this time of the day before and I must say it is really amazing, the track itself is not really nice at day IMHO but when the night comes down totally changes its face, favorite event of the year!

1 - Fernando was bored...

10737419403_58417f60d1_c.jpg

2 -

10737112945_23bcdd7d36_c.jpg

3 - finally got in the pit lane again, after the German GP cameraman issue pit lane access is restricted and only a few ones are allowed in the pits

10737112285_45465ecc0f_c.jpg

4 - i understand old school F1 fans may not like, twilight and night races, but for a photographic point of view it's just heaven...

10737199576_f397d61a95_c.jpg

10737110685_65567c6e90_c.jpg

10737415723_ac43cb4fe0_c.jpg

Last edited:
7 - not sure

10737196876_688a9937d8_c.jpg

8 - not sure, not quite what I was aiming at, couln't find the spot i wanted anymore :|

10737107815_77c0ed1b76_c.jpg

9 - the back of the paddock being a bit different than usual

10737200144_d1bffff6cc_c.jpg

10 - a stock shot, but I like it a lot, would have been even nicer with the sun in it...

10737412553_37331c1263_c.jpg

10737412183_a110c4f226_c.jpg

10737411093_a20a486cc7_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great set !! (y)

I really like the sense of drama in your panning shots namely #4 & #12

Last edited:
What a great set. Very different, I like them all, great panning skills on show too. I also like the way you have left space around the cars where you show extra things which add to the drama, too many people, probably me included crop too tightly to put emphasis on the Car.

Regards Paul

As always, an interesting set. The twilight makes for very interesting shots, and the slow shutter stuff is to my taste. Do you find there is much of a market for it commercially?
My only comment would be that the slow shutter shots work better to me with the subject off centre, i.e. 12 which is stunning, simply stunning

1, 8 and 9 don't do a lot for me in all honesty, but the rest of the set are all top class!

Matty

Bit unsure on #8 either, but otherwise an super set of shots. Nice one.

Last edited:
4, 5, 6 and 12 for me, but 12 is the winner, STONKING shot, thanx for sharing,
Dave

Great work James, and must agree with you about how the venue changes as the sun starts to set.

I shoot here a lot and hate it during the day - the light is very harsh and brings its own problems. I can't wait for the Gulf 12hr at the beginning of December as that and this years Ferrari Racing Days are the only two event which seem to use the track at the best time.

Great selection, and an angle or two to try myself later this month.

Great set !! (y)

I really like the sense of drama in your panning shots namely #4 & #12

Thanks Ashley :)

What a great set. Very different, I like them all, great panning skills on show too. I also like the way you have left space around the cars where you show extra things which add to the drama, too many people, probably me included crop too tightly to put emphasis on the Car.

Regards Paul

Thanks Paul, I think especially at night is it nice to leave some space around the subject as you can play a lot with the light :D

As always, an interesting set. The twilight makes for very interesting shots, and the slow shutter stuff is to my taste. Do you find there is much of a market for it commercially?
My only comment would be that the slow shutter shots work better to me with the subject off centre, i.e. 12 which is stunning, simply stunning

1, 8 and 9 don't do a lot for me in all honesty, but the rest of the set are all top class!

Matty

Thanks Matty, if by commercially you mean providing images to teams/drivers/sponsors I think you can forget about it unless you work for one of the 'big agencies', editorially instead you got more chances obliviously depending on how good/fast you and your agents are cause you got some 50+ of the world best motor sport photographers working beside you...

number 9 is done with a tilt-shift lens, you don't quite see the effect cause the bottom of the photo is in shadow or maybe cause i didn't know how to use it :bonk:

That is some amazing set mate. Love the two shots of Lewis.

Real quality shots with outstanding IQ.

Good work!!

Thanks David!

Bit unsure on #8 either, but otherwise an super set of shots. Nice one.

Thanks, I found a better spot for that shot during the earlier GP2 race, but couldn't find it anymore afterwards :(

wow really like these

4, 5, 6 and 12 for me, but 12 is the winner, STONKING shot, thanx for sharing,
Dave

Thanks guys!

Great work James, and must agree with you about how the venue changes as the sun starts to set.

I shoot here a lot and hate it during the day - the light is very harsh and brings its own problems. I can't wait for the Gulf 12hr at the beginning of December as that and this years Ferrari Racing Days are the only two event which seem to use the track at the best time.

Great selection, and an angle or two to try myself later this month.

Thanks David,

I would love the opportunity to shoot the Gulf 12hr, I was rushing to get the night shots on sunday cause especially the area around the hotel has a lot of potential and only with an endurance race you can really have the time to experiment.

Fantastic as always. #4, #10, #11 and #12 for me. Number #8 is the only one not really doing anything for me.

Despite the dull races it can cause I do absolutely love the Abu Dhabi track. It really does look incredible. The runoff areas, the hotel, the palm trees, the sunset (and eclipse this year too!) really just make it look like a motorsport photographers dream! :D

stunning images there, your a very lucky person to be able to shoot in such a great location and renound sport, fantastic work, what camera are these taken with?

I agree with big dave. Some amazing shots from my favourite sport!

#5, 6 and 10 are excellent.

excellent pics, really like most, 7 is my favourite, I really like that one
however no8 think you sneaked that one in as a joke didn't you ?

Fantastic as always. #4, #10, #11 and #12 for me. Number #8 is the only one not really doing anything for me.

Despite the dull races it can cause I do absolutely love the Abu Dhabi track. It really does look incredible. The runoff areas, the hotel, the palm trees, the sunset (and eclipse this year too!) really just make it look like a motorsport photographers dream! :D

all lurvely.. apart from number 8. looks like you took a pic and didnt notice the tree :)
one of the best sets i've seen this year, the last one is out standing

LOL I wanted to include a palm tree in a photo, but leaving it in the middle maybe was a bad idea.

Great set…like the use of track markings.

Love #5, #9 & #11, I think #11 would have to be my favourite. Could see that being a print on the wall quite easily.

On a side note, Alonso does look VERY bored :LOL:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

stunning images there, your a very lucky person to be able to shoot in such a great location and renound sport, fantastic work, what camera are these taken with?

Thanks, this are taken with Canon 1dx and 5d mkIII

I agree with big dave. Some amazing shots from my favourite sport!

#5, 6 and 10 are excellent.

excellent pics, really like most, 7 is my favourite, I really like that one
however no8 think you sneaked that one in as a joke didn't you ?

LOL, I understand, number 8 seems to be the winner here :LOL:

Great set, may I ask what it's like shooting at night? in terms of shutter speed compared to the daytime?

Thanks, modern cameras has made possible what was very difficult few years ago so you can use the same sort of shutter speed you use during daytime, number 5 for instance is shoot at 5000 ISO and 1/800 of a second.

No. 5 is absolutely cracking. Getting that sharpness and exposure at a night event with cars going at those speeds is NOT easy. Although as you say, technological advances have made it much easier with low noise high iso sensors. Especially if you have the advantage of a 1dx, lucky sod!

I took some night pics at LeMans back in 2005 with a far far inferior camera and they came out terrible!!! Good work.

What a terrific set of images . I am no track man but can really appreciate the the work and thought that has gone into these . Really enjoyed looking at them and could see plenty of great shots to go ion a wall . Well done indeed .

A big fan of F1, so it's a treat to see these.
For me #5 is just awesome!! it reminds me of when cars appear over Eau Rouge in Spa - but not at night!!!

Keep up the great work.

Fantastic set..5 for me, an absolute belter, top job.

Back