North England Formy Point (near Southport) milky way

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, is anyone familiar with Formby point, in Merseyside?

I have been there once before to take some star pictures, but with limited success. I've done a bit more reading and want to have another go.

Does anyone happen know If it is dark enough to get any decent pics of the Milky Way, I know I'd have to get out to the Lakes or the Highlands to get some really good shots. But does anyone think I stand a chance of getting anything good? I'd like to know I've got my technique right before I plan a weekend trip away to have a proper go at it.

Last time I drive out to the car park off Lifeboat Lane, parked up, then walked out to the dunes at the front. It was pretty dark, but the lights of Liverpool where visible on the horizon to the south. I understand that in the norther hemisphere the Milky Way is to the south, so I'm guessing this would dramatically reduce the chances?

Delamere Forest is quite dark but I would recommend Anglesey , away from holyhead the skies are really quite dark. We go to a campsite at Rhoscolyn which has good open views.

I'm a Formby Lad.
Not only is the Milky Way to the South. At this time of year its also below the Horizon. So your best waiting until July'ish.

But yeah looking towards Liverpool will really hamper your efforts.

so go for delamere forest thats south east of Liverpool and there is little light in the area nearby.

Back