Forth Rail Bridge

You certainly made the best of the light sources mix here Mark: great exposure,
and Dof… but why did you feel you had to boost the saturation so much?

Great shot of an iconic bridge at sunset - I especially like the light gradient transition from the right through to the almost silhouette on the left. And I do like the way you have boosted the image colours :).

ps Saw you had removed one dust bunny on the left, but there looks to be another immediately above the 2nd superstructure from the right / "y" in your watermark.

Here is the image i had originally which is much closer to the conditions on the night

I thank you very much for the pleasure Mark, I really feel better with this rendition.

…but let's make something perfectly clear, right here: your fundamental (in my book)
right to the expression of your artistic intent is not questioned, at least from my part.
I do encourage my students to use that right. The known idea that one can't please
everybody AND the mother-in-law is a risk coming with every decision made by any-
one at anytime just about anything. The final rendition is either for your living room
or for a client. In the first case, you may do as you please, in the second you have
to please someone else.

Experience
taught me that successful photography publishing for wider audience is
closer to reality than an "imagery" version of your interpretation of the same scene.

Last edited:
St4- should be similar tonight and tomorrow. I might run through on Fri to get different angles etc.

I know, its the tides that matter, you've got high tide and a reflection showing and an epic sky. Its the best possible conditions to shoot here in. Alth9ough, and its not really crit, I would hold off until the new bridge is complete...

I did Lyle Hill last night, Portencross the night before, Loch Ard boathouse yesterday and Loch Achray this AM.

Could do Kelpies if the sky is epic, bridge is a bit far, I work in Glasgow and finish at 6pm. With the traffic the bridge is a tall order for dusk.

Last edited:
Both lovely shots, and I think the first one - with the additional saturation - works better for me in this case. I normally prefer more natural colour, so that's unusual for me.

Usual pedant point, it's the Forth Bridge! The road bridge gets the 'middle name' to distinguish it. :)

Great images. I think I would process somewhere between the first post and the original image. Both work well though.

I'm hoping to take a few pictures of the Rail bridge tonight. Conditions look great at the moment.I work at Meadowbank and am looking up at Edinburgh's disgrace with a bright blue backdrop and great visibility. Hoping for some nice light and a few clouds.

No.1 for me but them I am a sucker for punch colours. I never get tired of seeing this bridge no matter what the conditions.

I'm heading out tonight too but probably won't see you guys. I will be further down the estuary at Crammond.
So far though it looks as though we will be on for a good sunset.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Excellent" bit of work Mark, I can live with either presentation.(y)

George.

Back