Fortnightly Assignment 10 - Aged.

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
Aged, old, worn out .... interpret the theme as you wish.

Rules are

If you submitting a photo, please comment on 2 other photos in the the thread, one of which should be the one preceeding your post .....Unless you're the first person posting of course. :)

:cautious: ... you getting your own back Glo ... :thinking: ... as all those things apply to me ... :eek: ...

... so will a self-portrait suffice ... :cautious:

:p

L1000366.jpg
[/IMG]

:thinking: not sure if this qualifies for this thread, it is Mary-Ann's Cottage in the Scottish Highlands, built in 1850 and preserved in its original state. Not worn out but certainly old and I think the sepia gives it a bit more character :shrug:

Mary-Ann_s-Cottage.jpg

I agree Ewan & Walls, the vignette is too much - hope this is an improvement

Very nice Nettie - I think the sepia works well. Not sure about the vignette though - looks a tad overdone to me :shrug:

This is old, aged and worn out. A "shed" on our local allotments:

oldshed.jpg

Nettie: agree vignette is too defined, needs to be sharpened a little I think too? nice pleasing shot though.

Ewan: not really sure b+w works with this? looks like it was colourful especially with the old wood so maybe something more of an aged look would retain a bit of colour?

my attempt - the old knife sharpner in Shanghai. If anyone's been it was near the bird market outside a massive food market. Would have liked to use a larger aperture to knock out the background but I was in snapping mode with so much to see.

KnifeSharpner.jpg

Walls - considering you were in "snapping mode" that's a great capture, I'd love to have been able to see the expression on his face though. I realise you couldn't really get him to take his hat off though lol

Ewan - I like the shot you've seen there but it seems to have lost something in the conversion imo, the tones are all very similar. I wonder if a bit of selective desat might work? It's a really nice scene and I'm sure there's more to get out of it

Here's one from me. A lady I saw whilst on holiday in Spain a few years ago. She didn't appreciate having her photo taken though. This sweet old lady flew into a rage just after I took this shot. No idea what she was saying of course lol!

Spanish%20Lady%20Framed%20low%20res.jpg

Sorry to be a pain, can i enter this or is it only people who have been in from the start

Grendel, great portrait of this lady although I would have preferred to see it cropped tighter at the top
LadyLens, delicious landscape, what area of the moors is that?

MapgunOld.jpg

Steve...:)

Grendel, great portrait of this lady although I would have preferred to see it cropped tighter at the top
LadyLens, delicious landscape, what area of the moors is that?

Steve...:)

An area I wouldn't have found without assistance from a member here, woadrage, who recommended we take the drive from the A66, down into Swaledale. That picture is taken at the rear of Tan Hill Inn, at the top of Tan Hill, which claims to be the highest inn in the country, and the views ARE stunning.

:LOL: SO you didnt get a model release on that lovely shot then Grendel!

Walls, lovely 'documentary' type shot, really like it!

So if you want old or aged, they don't come much older on this fair Isle of ours than the Yorkshire Moors...

yorkshiremoors.jpg

Why do i seem to know that lace.. Great pic i have to say.. really like it

love the shot of the old pistol and part of me likes the ghostly look and another part would love to see more contrast...also really like the knife sharpener, lotsa contrast there. So here's my shot, three old folks in Rome sitting on the step of a very old doorway.
186756841-L.jpg

Here's my effort hope you like ;)

1313593640_e8e1276fa4_o.jpg

Ladylens: nice composition a tad over saturated I think.

Roger: Nice exposure has a feel of the borrowers about it, lovely sharp detail.

Grendal: Sorry about that :embarrassed:

errr you're supposed to comment on 2 other photos in the thread, one of which must be the one preceeding yours Ajo :rules: :p ;)

The date plaque on the back of my local church, not sure who/what/why there is a face above it, but who am I to judge, oddly enough the date on the front of the church is 20 years prior so they must have had cowboy builders drinking tea on the job even back then!

1161115585_0e6cd8dfc3.jpg

Ajo - love the arrangement and composition of this, kinda reminds me of an old Western pharmacy. Though the strong duotone loses some of the details for me but that just may be my monitor as the calibration is poor.

Grendel - the old lady picture is absolutely wonderful, a very interesting weathered, tough expression, I think I would have been terrified to snap her and judging by the response I was right! Great shot.

I read this thread last night and as I am on a mission to learn how to take better pictures and understand the SLR more when I saw this building I knew it was ideal for this.

I took a few shots with differnt perspectives and settings, I think this was my fravorite, what do you all think ?

getpic503.asp

This building is in a street just off the seafront of Brighton.

Back