Fortnightly Assignment; MONO (Discussion)

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, ere we go again. This will close aprroximately 2 weeks from last sunday! Or maybe next wednesday. Who can say?

Should attract some heavy hitters this one. I would ask though that the photo's are taken for this assignment and not old ones you've dredged out of your portfolios cos ye cannae be assed!

Having said that though, new mono conversions of old shots are perfectly permissable.

It's all for your own good you know!

Well Bachs has set the standard for conversion then ;). Just a thought, do people think the theme is more biased to an actual shot in B&W, or a shot that is an interpretation of Mono :suspect1: ?

I guess it's down to your interpretation of mono........

The bullet train,

a unicycle,

Or just plain black and white. Up to you I guess dude!

Bullet Train?:ponders:

Well ... one things for certain ... right now Bachs has the Mono-

poly
on this assignment ! :laugh1:

Ps - You kindly provided a great big X link to the discussion thread from the Picture thread Spencer ... howsabout doing it in reverse - a X one would be very nice ? :smilenod:

Phew ... took me ages to sort that one out !

Gandhi said:
Well, ere we go again. This will close aprroximately 2 weeks from last sunday! Or maybe next wednesday. Who can say?

Should attract some heavy hitters this one. I would ask though that the photo's are taken for this assignment and not old ones you've dredged out of your portfolios cos ye cannae be assed!

Having said that though, new mono conversions of old shots are perfectly permissable.

It's all for your own good you know!

2 weeks sunday - thats why i didnt do it yet....:innocent:

I've sorted the tags for Kcat.... now, you can see the pic OK.

Comments so far:

Bachs --- Like this a lot! V. simple and interesting! Although your front balls are blown on the LHS ;)

Kcat --- Really tranquil and a good mono conversion. However, I think the focus is on the trees seen under the bridge and I think it would look better with the bridge being sharp.

SW -- heh heh, cheeky chappy there! Lovely shot, all that needs to be said. :)

Sam.

Thanks Sam! :) She sure was enjoying that sun yesterday, right until a huge thunderstorm started! I would have probably liked to take a different (more scenic) photo but haven't been able to go anywhere interesting since I've started back at college! :( I like the other two shots so far, I can't wait to see the other entries.

have put my effort in, look rather like an infra red picture i think.

DJW said:
Cripes, some good Mono's there

I was just thinking the same thing :shock: too much talent about thats the trouble lol

Boo said:
I was just thinking the same thing :shock: too much talent about thats the trouble lol

LOL , but we're up for the challenge aren't we ;)

Couldnt resist this after a shopping trip to Peterboro and doing battle with the pavements. I could never shake shadows off my feet as a kid.

DJW said:
LOL , but we're up for the challenge aren't we ;)

I'll let you know once I've played with my new canon A610 :ponders: Tis a tad intimidating with all the big SLR's taking shots lol plus I've not posted any pikkies at all yet so I'm being a scaredy cat :eek1: I'll give it a bash though even if I don't enter.

What I don't understand is ... why do a lot of pics get dumbed down by their owners ? And I know I do it too - but I have reason enough ! :doh:

All the shots posted so far are shots I would be proud to post ? :clap:

Talk 'em up guys 'n gals ! :smilenod:

stevegreen said:
This could get changed

If it does can I bags it Steve ? :laugh1: :whistle2:

Venomator said:
If it does can I bags it Steve ? :laugh1: :whistle2:

I'll sell you the copyright for a nominal fee, of course! :smilenod:

Some really nice pictures come in so far. I was trying to think of a picture that says 'mono' as apart from taking a picture and converting it. As it happens, the jug in my shot is virtually black anyway so no real de-saturation required. That pesky Canon does tend to make the snow blue though (maybe I should have set the white balance myself :doh: )

Softwind What a great expression on the little chaps face, I love this shot, great lighting.

Boon The spire looks wierd on that church. I wonder if it's the camera telling lies cos it looks like it's going to fall down or was it built on a Friday afternoon? :beer:

Thanks Stevegreen! :) My Chihuahua seems to work really well in b&w shots.. doesn't help that she turns her head away from the camera just as I'm about to take the photo everytime though!

Boo, don't worry! Practically all of my photos are taken with a Casio Exilim, which I don't really think can be compared to Canon digital SLRs. But in my opinion, good talent will shine through, no matter what the camera model.. you should enter! :)

stevegreen said:
Boon The spire looks wierd on that church. I wonder if it's the camera telling lies cos it looks like it's going to fall down or was it built on a Friday afternoon? :beer:

hi steve
apparently the spire was built quite normally, but because of the use of green timbers, or because of lack of bracing, it has twisted over the years. The spire itself weights 32 tons.
Read more here:
http://www.visitchesterfield.info/

no, posting it in the pictures thread as you have done is fine

Hey Gandhi - are we still on 600 max for the compo or does anything go now :ponders:

regards

Is it just me or do others notice how great peoples shots look in Mono, vs overall level of shots in previous Comps/Themes ?. I'm sure the current shots before conversion, the colours would probably distract from the composition & details in the shots.

More Mono's I say ;)

I agree dave, but we could have themed Mono pictures, now that would be good.

Ok, attempting to continue my thoughts of the shots:

PeteMC:
Nice. I'm not sure it massively benifits from being mono but nicely done none the less.

Daveyuk:
Like this. Nicely composed, however it does seem to be ever so tight in the frame.

Stevegreen:
Nice and simple. Lovely. Reflection of the house and what looks like your garage doesn't help but great idea.

Fangman:
Heh heh, nice! Well captured.

Boon:
Weird photo! Really well processed though. Feels to me ever so slightly off level but that's probably the spire! lol

Glen:
Great photo, well processed. I think it'd take a bit of dodge and burn to bring out the brickwork though.

stevec:
I really like the simplicity of this. Needs some more processing in my eyes though to make it shine. Firstly the pillars aren't vertical, it needs some more contrast and probably levels and curves. Worth taking the time over and resubmitting mate.

Ally:
Well captured. Could do with a tighter crop (and straighten) which should help focus you on the subject rather than the door behind them.

Stepheno:
I like this. Quite calm. What's going on with the border in the top right hand edge?

Steve400:
Hmmm, not sure about this one. Something seems to have gone wrong in the conversion or processing. I think the levels are too close i.e. the greys are far too similar losing detail. Maybe have another attempt at processing?

MarkGray:
Lovely and very detailed. A little dark perhaps.

Just my opinions obviously. :)

Ah cripes!

KIM:
I like what you've attempted here, a portrait landscape IYKWIM! Its very pleasing but I feel that it could have been ever so slightly better. Compo-wise I think the large stone interferres with the background, a step or two to the left would have help balance it. PP -wise it's a little grainy (maybe intentional) and could do with some levels and curve to bring out the background detail.
But good none the less! :)

Thanks for the comments SammyC.

Also want to say good luck to everyone who has entered.

I'm in - but sadly won't be here for the results unfortunately ! :sadcry:

Good luck to everyone ! I have to say the number of entries and general standard of stuff being posted is phenomenal ! :clap:

Keep it up one and all ... things can only get better ...imo of course ! :thumb:

Back