Fortnightly Assignment; MONO (Discussion)

well, what does that make me then i am stuck with 56k dial up till i get a new cable for my 2mb broadband router (knew i shouldn't have moved the living room around) :banghead:

Should be on 8mb after the end of the month, if the upgrade of my exchange goes well :p

I read in macuser a few weeks ago beause of the crap cables BT have that we will be lucky to get past 8mb. :banghead:

Although I think companies can do a mod at the exchange which can get them up past 8mb.

It also said that places like Sweden have had 25mb :shock: for the last 3 years...that makes us all peasants.

Glen said:
I read in macuser a few weeks ago beause of the crap cables BT have that we will be lucky to get past 8mb. :banghead:

Although I think companies can do a mod at the exchange which can get them up past 8mb.

It also said that places like Sweden have had 25mb :shock: for the last 3 years...that makes us all peasants.

I was speaking to a tech for my isp, And he said that by the end of THIS year bt plans to have all the exchanges upgraded to the same standard as Japan which he said was 256mb

I want some of that please :D

woooohhh :cool:

Bet that won't be £14.99 a month!!!

No, but this speed slowly filters down to the rest of us mortals/cheapos! :)

Peterg984 said:
I was speaking to a tech for my isp, And he said that by the end of THIS year bt plans to have all the exchanges upgraded to the same standard as Japan which he said was 256mb

I want some of that please :D
:eek:fftopic:
Your techie is full of it sadly. Japan's telecoms infrastructure (since we bombed the sh*t out of the major cities during the 2nd world war) is mostly fibre optics. We are stuck here with mainly copper wires (at best) and (at worst) really crappy aluminium and most of it is around 50 to 100 years old so in a bad state of repair. OK so we do have some fibre optic laid, but this is used by business customers who pay a fortune for between 2Mb to 1000Mb/sec links.

In my last job, I worked for an LEA reselling broadband to schools. Schools pay between £6000 per year for asymmetrical 2Mb link upto 30k+ for 100Mb asymmetric links. And those prices were very heavily subsidised by the government. The average cost to dig up the road and lay fibre from the nearest exchange to a school (normally less than 1 kilometre)??? - £82k :shock:

It's all very well having the exchanges upgraded, but until BT dig up all the streets and replace the crappy wires with lovely fibre then we aren't going to see speeds anywhere close to what the japanese get.

In central London where I live, the best I can get is 1Mb lol

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2148449/asia-adopts-speed-fibre

Sorry for going off topic :whistling

Yep, I think you have to live in an exchange to get these kinds of speeds.

:D

lowly 2Mb here. And my leech of a flatmate normally sucks all that. Anyone got any ideas on how to limit his connection?

Yes, we did start this one a bit prematurely, but it should end this weekend, sunday pm to be a bit more precise. I think I'm gonna re-title it 'occasional assignment, as it's hard sticking to the fortnightly gig when you have to vote and do all the democratic BS with the next subject. lol. Unless someone has some suggestions? anybody? dust? dust? anybody? dust?

Sorry I haven't been around much in last few weeks, but been very busy with work, g/f taking up too much time etc. Can't even remember where I've put my camera. the shutters probably healed up by now!

I had not noticed you hadn't been around ;)

The voting and chosing the subject for next round is half the fun, as is shouting at staff to get things done, or so I am told :smilenod:

What's the point of having staff if you can't shout at them that's what I say!

I think you're probably right there. I fit ain't broke, why fix it?

I have been sticking my head round the door occasionaly but it's been a busy old week! Just had my shot's accepted by a stock agency. So have spent most of this week either re-processing old stuff to fit their technical criteria or keywording.

Selling them is a different matter all together though! :)

Gandhi said:
lowly 2Mb here. And my leech of a flatmate normally sucks all that. Anyone got any ideas on how to limit his connection?
If it's a Linksys router (WRT54g v.1-4 / WRT54g / WRT54L) you've got then you can using a 3rd party firmware and using QOS http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=31

or http://www.ezlan.net/monitor.html

or you can use http://www.netlimiter.com/

If it's your router you could also block P2P between certain hours

Otherwise you need to get all geeky and install a NAT box.

Peterg984 said:
damn
i wish i could just get full speed on my 2mb connection
What sort of speeds do you get? On a 2Mb ADSL you will see (at best) approx 246kb/sec downloads...

I hate to be picky gents but can please try to keep threads remotely on topic? There has been a lot of off topic posts around the forums lately.

We have a section in the forums were questions on BB speeds and routers can be asked and answered.

Thanks.

It's the nature of (long) conversations to wander off course, makes things interesting.

Or dull if you (like me) haben't a scooby WTF people are on about...

So... what do we do now? Rip the **** out of everyone's pictures and vote who wins?
Apart from Mine, my short list goes in no particular order goes: CT, DJW, Keltic Ice Man; Steve.

Since this is a mono comp - do we crit the B&W processing as well as image content, composition etc? I think we should. Noticed a couple of 'old' images creeping in here as well - I do think peeps should try and post stuff we haven't seen before, even a shot from the same sequence would be better than one we've all seen before (ahem)...

Arkady said:
Since this is a mono comp - do we crit the B&W processing as well as image content, composition etc? I think we should

I agree.
The post processing is an important part of monochrome, arguably more so than colour and can make or break a monochrome image.

This round ends tomorrow evening (Sunday) and a poll will be put up for people to vote on the entries. Once the result is in then feel free to critique the pics - that's the real value of these assignments - we'd like as many people as possible to write critiques, but please try to remember that some people are more used to critique of their pics than others, so keep it constructive and helpful, there's no need to dishearten people completely.

Re the off topic comments, we all do it from time to time, but Steve isn't willy waving for the sake of it, the mods get a lot of complaints about threads going OT and we're just trying to keep the board pleasant for everyone.... thanks! :)

CT said:
Steve isn't willy waving for the sake of it

Do we have a smiley for that? :shock:

Robert, I like your entry.. it seems very naturally set up.

Steep said:
Do we have a smiley for that? :shock:

Try these
mspankbottom6nf.gif

Ok I am going to close this in the next hour and start the voting. If you have an entry ready or want to change your picture, you have about 55 mins. :)

Just replacing mine now. In the spirit of the Assignment I went out today to specifically take a shot for the comp...hope you like.

Please don't add or change any more pictures as I am now setting up the voting :)

Good luck to everyone that has entered, some good work and a great turn out for this (slightly longer than) fortnight.

Poll now added to the "picture thread" here

Please keep all comments (should you have any) in this thread though :)

Spoilt for choice.

Back